Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Tired during exercise

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by Shazzabir, 7 April 2011 Social URL.

1. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I exercise almost everyday. As my time is quite limited I do 30 - 40 mins before work and 30 mins late evening.
    My problem is I am always tired when I exercise and don't feel I am giving it 100%.
    I have to get up at 04:45 in a morning, I have a shower than start exercising, but I am sooo tired. I don't want to eat anything beforehand as it kind of defeats the object of exercising and I need the extra calories for later in the day.

When I exercise at a w/e I get up later and notice a huge difference in my workout, but this is not an option I have during the week.
    Does anybody have any ideas ?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    How much sleep do you get?

Could you possibly skip the morning workout - or do more at your evening workout? I'm always really tired in the morning but by the time I exercise at 5:30pm I'm usually fine - maybe it is something to do with the glycogen stores being refilled by food throughout the day, I have no idea!

Finally, are you taking any vitamins / supplements? How is your vitamin A content (you can see this on MFP) and your Vitamin B? (Vitamin B can't sadly be tracked on MFP but - to quote Wikipedia- B vitamins are found in whole unprocessed foods. Processed carbohydrates such as sugar and white flour tend to have lower B vitamin than their unprocessed counterparts. B vitamins are particularly concentrated in meat such as turkey and tuna, in liver and meat products. Good sources for B vitamins include kombucha, whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chili peppers, tempeh, beans, nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast, and molasses. )

4. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I am probably in bed asleep around 9pm each night. I nearly always feel as if I have slept well.
    My vitamin A seems to be over 100% most days. I'm not too sure about vitamin B, but turkey is one of my main foods. I hadn't thought about taking vitamins, so will look into that.
    I struggle to fit more than 30 mins in an evening, as I don't get home until 17.30, then it's tea, spending some time with my daughter, then bedtime routine. So it's normally 19.00 - 19.30 before I start to exercise. I always need an hour of tv to chill out, then its bed. Which is why I try to exercise in the morning before everyone wakes up and the morning routine starts.

5. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    I missed that you're exercising on an empty stomach. This is more than likely the culprit! You need to consume SOMETHING before you exercise or you risk crashing mid-workout, and you won't be able to work out to full capacity without some glycogen stores (from food!).

Please please please have something before your shower - a banana smoothie, or a bit of wholemeal toast and some peanut butter (or low fat yoghurt if you don't like that). It doesn't have to be big! More importantly, make sure your post-exercise meal is nutritious (balanced between protein and carbs) so your body burns fat optimally!

If this doesn't work, maybe try the supplements. (However, I'm a vitamin fan recently, and would advice the supplements anyway! They're on offer in Tesco - 3 for 2!).

6. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. I had a feeling I should be eating before exercising. I will try and get into the routine of doing it. I may be consuming more calories, but if I'm going to be more energetic then I should be burning more calories anyway. :)

7. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    Exactly! If you eat before working out, you'll get more out of the workout :) Just be sure to have something small and balanced, because you'll end up with stomach upset if you have a normal-sized brekkie and then go and exercise without at least an hour's digestion time. If you have something small you'll only need to wait about 15 minutes ^^

8. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    That's great, thanks for your help :)

9. happyhippo

happyhippo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Thanks for adding this thread as i am up at 6am every morning and exercise on an empty stomach and feel wiped out after 10 mins:D

10. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I guess we both need to make the effort to eat happyhippo :)

11. happyhippo

happyhippo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I was in the same way of thinking as you, i thought you couldn't eat before exercise and it was defeating the purpose :confused: But i will make more of an effort to eat something now

12. Shazzabir

Shazzabir Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(18.6%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I had a banana before my workout this morning and I do think it made a difference!!!

13. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    Yay! That's so much better and I'm pleased it made a difference!! if you like milk or yoghurt, that'd be an ideal pairing with your banana so you get a bit of protein in too :D

14. happyhippo

happyhippo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I haven't exercised in the morning for the last couple of days, i have been doing it at night instead, but i will keep you posted when i do

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.