TMI but need to ask- sorry!!

Lauratheloop

Silver Member
I'll keep it brief, basically I ate for lunch... During which I have to take my medication ... Anyway hour or so later I start experiencing the bad side affects to my meds (this sometimes happens but not frequently) so my tummy is in pain and I need the loo.... Well let's just say I have no more in my digestive system.

So have I even consumed the calories I ate? Does you stomach absorb the calories or is it the intestines?
Not that it makes much difference as I have already planned dinner and that's even if I keep it down or in ;-)

Sorry if TMI but I tried to keep it simple but to the point lol xxx

Honestly I don't know the answer however the food must have been digested to get into your bowel so I'd assume that you've taken on the calories. Apologies if this is incorrect.

Beautiful.XTC said:
Honestly I don't know the answer however the food must have been digested to get into your bowel so I'd assume that you've taken on the calories. Apologies if this is incorrect.

No it's as good as answer as any- that's what I thought but I wasn't sure the stomach is where the food gets absorb and calories used.... I always assumed it was at your other organs like liver kidneys etc that the calories were absorbed lol

Anyway it did something as I've miraculously lost 4 lbs since lol xxx

I'm pretty sure that the food continues to be digested and absorbed throughout the small intestine too. So you've probably absorbed some, but not all the calories.

Another function of the digestive system is to absorb water from food; you've probably lost a lot of water. This explains your sudden 4lbs loss, and also means you should drink some water or a rehydration drink.

Also, your medication might not have fully absorbed. For example, the instructions for my contraceptive say that if you have diarrhoea within the next 12 hours, you may not be protected.

I'm not a doctor though, so just trying to remember what I learned in A-Level biology! X

Yeh I'm not overly fussed if my medication didn't take it's one day and it won't kill me lol I don't think it took it hit my stomach I got extreme cramps and then it just Wooshed right thru me... Lol sorry

I'm pretty fine on the water front since new year I've been drinking around 4 litres a day so no danger of me or any organs being dehydrated lol

Arrr well if I've lost water I don't plan on putting it back on lol xx

If I remember my bio a-level right the small intestines absorb most of the nutrients from food as well as water. Also, I think it is possible to drink TOO much water. 4 litres a day sounds like a lot!

BecHahns said:
If I remember my bio a-level right the small intestines absorb most of the nutrients from food as well as water. Also, I think it is possible to drink TOO much water. 4 litres a day sounds like a lot!

Thing is I don't really drink anything else.... I cut out drinking tea and replace with green tea.... Other then that I would usually drink a couple o sugar free red bull and diet coke.... Obviously 4 litres of water sounds allot but if you work out I would normally drink all those fizzy drinks plus 2 litres but now I have swapped everything water it's not that bad.... No water can ever be enough... Baring in mind I get up at 7 and don't go to bed till 11 so a steady 4 litres across the day.... I k ow it's important to be hydrated so that your liver does then lean on your kidneys etc to help them do their job... Ne'er under estimate the importance of water and how your organs need it to do their job xxxx

Thanks for the advice tho xxx

No water can ever be enough

It's important to remember though that it is possible to drink too much water, it can actually kill you. It upsets the balance of electrolytes in your body which can result in brain and other organs swelling and ultimately death.
4 litres is quite a lot. That kind of level is recommended with food replacement diets but this is different as there is no food involved. On a normal diet, foods you eat have water in them so the actual amount of water you are taking on board is more than 4 litres. The NHS recommend about 2.5 litres a day, but on average you will get 1 of those litres from food.
So just be careful as too much water can have the same effect on your body as dehydration so it can be hard to tell.

*lesley* said:
It's important to remember though that it is possible to drink too much water, it can actually kill you. It upsets the balance of electrolytes in your body which can result in brain and other organs swelling and ultimately death.
4 litres is quite a lot. That kind of level is recommended with food replacement diets but this is different as there is no food involved. On a normal diet, foods you eat have water in them so the actual amount of water you are taking on board is more than 4 litres. The NHS recommend about 2.5 litres a day, but on average you will get 1 of those litres from food.
So just be careful as too much water can have the same effect on your body as dehydration so it can be hard to tell.

Fully appreciate that but excessive water and death has only ever been linked with those who drank the 4 litres in pretty much one hit .... The Recommended amount of liquid intake suggested by the NHS is a guide for people whom do not drink enough water and that's why it is always stressed that 2 litres a day is a must.... If I'm honest I couldn't not drink 4 litres of any drink a day... Be it split between fizzy non sugar drinks water or tea etc.... I've always consumed the same amount of liquid and I'm pretty sure there is plenty if others out there that are the same.
Bare in mind I don't religiously consume 4 litres daily but more or less my liquid consumption hits that marker. My husband drinks nothing but water and believe you me he drinks way more than me and his as fit as a fiddle.
My private consultant has never frown upon it his only advice is to make sure I'm sipping at the water and not gulping it down and ensure it's not ice cold....

Thanks for your advice tho xxx

I've always consumed the same amount of liquid and I'm pretty sure there is plenty if others out there that are the same.
Def agree with this. My other half is the same, he guzzles all day, drives me mad that he always has to take a bottle of water with us wherever we go! x

*lesley* said:
Def agree with this. My other half is the same, he guzzles all day, drives me mad that he always has to take a bottle of water with us wherever we go! x

Hubby is same and then he takes his 1.5 litres to bed eery night and pretty much does that throughout the night - #freak haha
Im not that bad but a I do always tend to have a drink of sone sort on the go lol
Xx

I'm not sure if its relevant or not but this reminds me of an article i read a few years back about people who were abusing laxatives and someone had done a study into how many kcals were remaining in remains (eww) with and without laxative abuse and there wasnt much difference as most nutrients get absorbed in the small intestine and its the large intestine that takes out the water.

So i believe that *finally gets to the point* the calories in your food should 99% still be counted!

hope that helps

Kate x

Back