To CD-Returners and successful maintainers.

paul1978

DO NOT QUIT !
Why did you gain back the weight after you lost it with CD ? Was it because you didnt finish the "maintenance" plans and went back to your old eating habits ? Or was it a different reason. I myself, lost 7 stones 2 years ago and unfortunately didnt do maintenance and didnt change my eating habits so have put most of it (if not all) back on again. Even though I love the quick losses on CD, I cant help thinking maybe WW or SW would be the way as they teach you how to eat properly (despite the very slow losses, compared to CD anyway) What are your thoughts ? Also, to anyone who has lost it and kept it off, do the "maintenance plans" really teach you how to eat properly ?

Hi Paul
Why not try do CD lose most of your weight that way and switch to SW after ?
If you can do it i mean CD that will mean fast results or maybe lose the bulk on CD then switch when you have say 2 stone or a stone to go ?

I feel if you can do CD then its fast then when you think ok i'm down to the last stone then do SW or WW which do you like the best SW or WW ? then that way you should stay stable say first week then results on week 2 as the body gets used to the change on one of them diets .

my friend lost 7 stone on LL, and has kept it off now for over a year by giving herself a 1/2 stone window, if she creeps above that it's back to a foor replacment pack for her breakfast and then healthy foods until she is back down

I got to within 2 lbsof my goal but didn't go through the stages or do maintenance properly, as result I put on about 12lbs, this was from September to Christams, and I have been trying to get back into cd since january but not doing it properly, and as a result was losing and gaining the same 7 lbs over this period, because of my old eating habits (I am a serial "picker") but this week something has finally clicked and I am back in the zone (since Tuesday). I plan to cd to goal and half a stone beyond by going through the stages. If you go through the stages properly it will retrain your eating habits. On any diet its easy to fall back into your old habits be it sw or ww. Maybe you could get to goal with cd (making sure you go through the stages) then eat sensibly using sw as a guide red/green days.

i have just been off cd for 5 weeks and i managed to maintain. i ate what i wanted really, but i made sure it was healthy and i halved my portions. am shocked that it really does work when you eat less and move more. working up the plans is fine, but you have to realise that its not about plans at the end of the day, its about making a life change and making sure you realise that certain foods in large amounts will make you gain no matter what diet or plan you choose.

good luck on your restart!

I lost 4 st on Lipotrim many years ago and over time due to emotional eating I gained 2.5 st back. Then I did CD and lost the 2st. I kept that off for well over a year, and I ate what I wanted and when I wanted, but I used a smaller dinner plate. One that is a normal size but has a large decorated rim around it, so that you only put food in the smaller white bit. Then I have gone through a horrible divorce and used food as a crutch again. So I have another 2.5 st to lose!! CD/LT did make me taste food again, and if I could honestly say that I liked the taste of something then I would eat it. Really taste a digestive biscuit, it is foul. My appetite had also shrunk, so the smaller plate helped. Also when I was on holiday I noticed all the skinny Mini's werent eating the full english AND the cereal AND the toast, they just had cereal and fruit. Even though they were paying for it. That made me aware of portion size I can tell you! I think the maintenance phase is so you dont regain so much so soon and to give you some control over what you are eating after having sod all for so long!! So you dont binge on all the goodies again. I didnt do true maintenance either times and maintained for a long while. Its just the emotional aspect of food that came up to bite me each time!. I will so SS until bmi 25 and then go to slimming world I think, or low carb as that is how I like to eat anyway. It wouldnt bother me if I never ate rice/pasta/potatoes ever again.

Hi Paul, I have been maintaining since Feb which seems to have gone so quickly. I came up through the plans and it was the calorie counting side of things that helped as I now know I maintain on about 1800 calories a day. Before CD, I wouldn't have had a clue about my maintenance levels and didn't ever count the calories (although I knew the values of all of them!). I also never had 'my' weight before as it would fluctuate by a couple of stones easily. I now enjoy getting the best 'value' I can for my 1800 calories - loads of veg, lean meat/fish, sugar free/low fat stuff, Snack a Jacks (caramel) for a treat. I have stayed away from potatoes, rice and pasta as I can eat bowlfuls of them and I genuinely was shocked by the calories in them. I made myself a trifle yesterday with SF jelly and Splenda in the custard - it came to about 600 calories in total but I ate it all in the one day and it was worth cutting down on other things as I really fancied it. It's true it is a lifestyle shift - some people may think 'it's not fair - I should be able to eat what I fancy' but moderation is the key. I would have a real good meal if I went out but then I would pull back for a couple of meals and try to balance it out. The tip to monitor constantly and act quickly is also a sure-fire way of successful maintaining

Hi Paul, I have been maintaining since Feb which seems to have gone so quickly. I came up through the plans and it was the calorie counting side of things that helped as I now know I maintain on about 1800 calories a day. Before CD, I wouldn't have had a clue about my maintenance levels and didn't ever count the calories (although I knew the values of all of them!). I also never had 'my' weight before as it would fluctuate by a couple of stones easily. I now enjoy getting the best 'value' I can for my 1800 calories - loads of veg, lean meat/fish, sugar free/low fat stuff, Snack a Jacks (caramel) for a treat. I have stayed away from potatoes, rice and pasta as I can eat bowlfuls of them and I genuinely was shocked by the calories in them. I made myself a trifle yesterday with SF jelly and Splenda in the custard - it came to about 600 calories in total but I ate it all in the one day and it was worth cutting down on other things as I really fancied it. It's true it is a lifestyle shift - some people may think 'it's not fair - I should be able to eat what I fancy' but moderation is the key. I would have a real good meal if I went out but then I would pull back for a couple of meals and try to balance it out. The tip to monitor constantly and act quickly is also a sure-fire way of successful maintaining
Makes a whole lot of sense!

I think the key is going through maintenance - I certainly intend to do that this time - I never did it last time! I am also armed with some Rosemary Conley portion pots which I fully intend to use once I have been through all the plans.

For me the Cambridge maintenance was a good way of putting food back into your life gently after such a long time away from it, I was freaked out and scared of food when I went back to it after 5 months and thought if I ate a chicken breast I would regain a few stone and was obsessive.

But the maintenance allows your glycogen levels to go back up without making the scales rocket which would have panicked me even more.

But do I think the maintenance is the answer to keeping slim? No, not for me, for me the key is to eat healthy, eat the right amount of calories, deal with any emotional baggage that pushes you towards food and then not to diet.

I haven't done any diet since March 2006 when I finished Cambridge and for me that is the key as I don't live the yoyo lifestyle I did for 20 years where I lost and regained weight so many times I didn't believe I could finally trim down and stop living the lifestyle.

Icemoose , you are brilliant (& everyone else of course) but a story of osmeone maintaining after several years means theres hope for us all. Thankyou for sharing.

For me the Cambridge maintenance was a good way of putting food back into your life gently after such a long time away from it, I was freaked out and scared of food when I went back to it after 5 months and thought if I ate a chicken breast I would regain a few stone and was obsessive.

But the maintenance allows your glycogen levels to go back up without making the scales rocket which would have panicked me even more.

But do I think the maintenance is the answer to keeping slim? No, not for me, for me the key is to eat healthy, eat the right amount of calories, deal with any emotional baggage that pushes you towards food and then not to diet.

I haven't done any diet since March 2006 when I finished Cambridge and for me that is the key as I don't live the yoyo lifestyle I did for 20 years where I lost and regained weight so many times I didn't believe I could finally trim down and stop living the lifestyle.

Ditto Mike....surprise, surprise :D

Thanks IceMoose. Its really good to hear your reply (as well as all the others) because I look at you as a big inspiration, after all you have done on CD and after I met you at the cambridge xmas 'do' in 2008.How do you know when you have put enough food on your plate (sounds a silly question, I know) ? Do you calorie count or can you just tell now just by looking at it because of experience, or do you go by portion sizes ? (sorry for all the questions.)

Back