To HRT or not HRT on Dukan?

slimdreamer

I have got a Dr appointment on Thursday morning to get a prescription for HRT.:(

I am very worried that all my hard efforts (very long and hard for me!) on Dukan will go down the drain. :cry:

I am 52 and post menopausal and feel I need HRT but would love to hear if anyone here has recently started taking HRT and if it has made it even more difficult to lose or even worse put weight on.

I have been reading a lot on the internet as well as Dr Dukan's comments in his book about women putting on quite a bit of weight at the beginning of taking HRT. Aargh!! Very upset about this to say the least.

Last edited:
HRT has not had any negative impact on my weight loss and maintenance - in fact the positive effect of uninterupted sleep has almost certainly been crucial to my success with the diet.

Even before reading Atropos's post, I'd have said to GO FOR IT... anything medically required or recommended has to go before DD. But, having read A, I'm relieved...

ps hrt is still a cycle, and you will still get the same fluctuations as you would with totm

And jo is right - our health comes first!

Thank you very much. I am the one that thinks I may need HRT and I am the one persuading the doctor. The doctor is the one giving me warnings and telling me the risks involved. They gave me some information and a website to read up on before making my decision and I have gone ahead and made the appointment to start.

So in addition to the medical risks involved I very upset at the thought of undoing all my hard work since the beginning of April on Dukan. I am still on cruise! :(

Atropos, it is very good to hear that it is helping you. Can I ask how long you have been taking them and if you started before Dukan or after? Did you noticed a weight gain when you started?

By the way I haven't had totm for about four years!

I have premature menopause, so I may not be typical, but I gained 12 lbs in the 2 months *before* I started emergency HRT.

It was definitely an emergency as I hadn't slept for more than 45 minutes at a time for those 2 months, and was starting to hallucinate with exhaustion!

For the next 12 months my weight was stable, but I found I could lose a single pound, no matter how strict the diet.

And then I discovered Dukan (ironically in a magazine in the waiting room of the menopause clinic) and the rest is history.

Atropos, that sounds terrible! I can certainly understand why you made the decision for hrt. It sounds like the hrt and Dukan have worked out perfectly for you.

I think I will give it a go. Fingers crossed.:sigh:

Back