to meet or not!

gym bunny

hi everyone and good evening. i just wanted to ask your opinion about meeting for those of you that attend them. do you find them helpfull ? and usefull? uptill xmas i was attending a meeting and was doing ok when my head was in the right place. then after xmas i couldnt really afford to go to meetings so i have taken some of the holidays that you are allowed. after all i think i just might be able to afford meetings at a pinch. i have been trying to do slimming world at home whilst using my holidays from group but have been terrible at it. i do sometimes find meetings usefull and obviously i think i need them or do you think its all in my head ? and if i do go back to group do you think i should re join?
sorry its a bit random but i just dont know what to do.

I think it all depends on the class you go to!

I used to a class that i hated it, dreaded going every week and because of weigh in!! It was bloody boring, the other dieters were all a bit cliquey, plus the C was a cow. Not supportive in the slightest...no fun whatsoever. I hated it and would use any excuse to get out of it!!

But my new class is great!! Every thursday I feel like I'm going to a party. Everyone is hilarious- even if it overruns I don't mind because we laugh from start to finish. We all get on, I have been known to bump into some of them in Asda and stand gabbing for an hour- it's as if I've known them for years (it's actually been 3 weeks).

So I think it really pays off to find a decent class and then everything will fall into place. I am truly a convert and I do believe that Image Therapy is a lot more helpful when you are talking with people who understand you and offer genuine (and realistic) support!!

My local class is friendly, close knit (too close I feel; it's a little cliquey tbh, but me and my three friends are forming another clique I think lol!) but the woman who runs it isn't great... however, she IS very new to the job so I'm hoping it'll get better.
I love the meetings. this week, I felt so crappy before I went, but going gave me such a boost. social time, knowing that even though I felt flabby and ill, I had lost 1.5lbs lol.

When I first went to SW about 5 years ago, the consultant was great & the group was really friendly & I found it really helpful to stay & it didn't feel at all like a chore. Then I moved & when I returned to SW a few years later I just didn't warm to the consultant, and found her too in-your-face - she was just texting all the time & I found it too much! Plus like others have said, it was really cliquey & so I lasted about 5 weeks & never went back.

This time, I'm doing it online, and finding it easy as I know the diet & what I can & can't eat, and the weight loss so far has gone well so I'm still finding it easy to motivate myself. I decided when I signed up to give myself three months, and if I felt like I needed the extra support I'd find myself another group, but to be honest I think I'll carry on as I am - I have a busy job & other stuff going on in my life so it suits me for now.

I think there's something to be said for attending a weekly group, but for me personally this is the best solution for me for now!

hi everyone thank you for your replies. i use to like my group but as my little one has got older and wants to move about and mess i find i carnt concentrate in class. also a few months ago i made friends with a girl whoes out look onlife is very negative. sometimes i would go to group all geared up and ready to go and i would come out of group feeling a little down ive tried everything to make her feel positive but nothing works. i really like my consultant and would feel bad for not going back. this is why i am thinking of trying another group as i dont think i would be successful on my own at home.

gym bunny said:
hi everyone thank you for your replies. i use to like my group but as my little one has got older and wants to move about and mess i find i carnt concentrate in class. also a few months ago i made friends with a girl whoes out look onlife is very negative. sometimes i would go to group all geared up and ready to go and i would come out of group feeling a little down ive tried everything to make her feel positive but nothing works. i really like my consultant and would feel bad for not going back. this is why i am thinking of trying another group as i dont think i would be successful on my own at home.

If I were you, I would try another group first rather than have a go from home and paying a re-joining fee if you want yo go back.

I love class same as Jez, but its about finding the right class for you, shop around I'd say, when I first joined last year I found the group I went to was small and all they wanted to talk about was how much vodka they could have if they saved their syns for the weekend, not my style so went to another, granted I travel about 20 minutes more to get there, and loved it and have stayed, we have a facebook page and get loads of tips and support from the group members as well as consultant,

you have to find them motivating and supportive or else there's no point IMO xx

one thing I do like about my local one is the mix of people. colours, ages, cultures, types... it's really nice. there are some young, some old, and a few incredibly old but still fun loving and friendly.
the only thing that bothers me (besides the slightly crappy consultant) is the recent influx of incredibly thin people who have joined. it makes no sense. one looks like she's already on the low end of a healthy bmi, if not over and into unhealthy. I'm not the only one to think so either. But whatever. I am there to focus on my own weight, not hers ;)

the other thing that bothers me a bit is actually my close friend, L. she joined a week after I did, was geared up and ready to go... but from day one she was following her own plan, not SW's. "I don't like milk or cheese so I'm just going to write down that I had it and just not have it". she got to her WI his week and was surprised to have only lost 1.5lbs, got super upset and went home without even talking about it. I only lost 1.5 lbs too, you didn't see me crying about it cos I knew I'd not been as on track as I could have. I am not lying to myself!
nobody can tell her she's doing it wrong because she just wont listen and it's so frustrating...I want to be supportive, I really do but when there's her going on about how she can't fathom why it was "only" a 1.5lb loss (umm... no exercise, and possibly the pizza and birthday cake you had last saturday and the kebab on tuesday? and the whole not actually following the plan even a little? perhaps? maybe? mmm?) and the fact that our other friend (H) seems to be of the same mindset and is lying to herself and L, means I feel quite alone in group right now. Although the third friend (C or K... can't remember how to spell her name!) is very much like me, following what makes sense, doing exercise etc which is nice.
I am just disheartened by my friends and their attitude.

This is why I prefer to go without my friends Flibs! If they don't lose it's inexplicably my fault and if I were to ever say "Do you think it's those 6 takeaways you had" I'd be the big bad wolf. So I stay out of it!!

yup. I like going alone to class, no one to 'compete' against or compare against, made friends there as well which is nice :)x

I rejoined 3 weeks ago, new C and they have moved venues what I didn't like was last week (2nd weigh in ) I had gained half a pound - I was off work with sickness for 2 days ate nothing for 3 days, but other days on plan 100% was surprised at gain but trousers were tight (this sorted itself out that evening - sorry tmi!!) BUT what upset me was when C was doing her talk she announced me a told everyone what I had gained - is this how they now do this - I thought that was private - I am now wondering whether to stay in future - there r people there I don't want to know. OR am I being too sensitive? Xxx

our C says that we shouldn't be ashamed of a gain and it might be helpful to get advice and support form others 'however' if you would prefer not to just let her know and she won't say anything about it. Normally she will just focus on how much you have lost and how fab you're doing apart from your blip xx

kerryathome said:
our C says that we shouldn't be ashamed of a gain and it might be helpful to get advice and support form others 'however' if you would prefer not to just let her know and she won't say anything about it. Normally she will just focus on how much you have lost and how fab you're doing apart from your blip xx

Hi thank you, it's not about not telling people the gain as its easy to work out who has but it was the amount - I know it was only half a pound but I am very sensitive at minute anyway - sorry think I am just being silly ;) xxx

not at all being silly its personal to you, your C should give you the option if you want it announced or not, its your gain/loss not hers, if it happens again just have a quiet word and say you'd rather not discuss it in group,

sometimes we are more sensitive than other times thats normal too,

take care xx

Back