To Target or Not

ukali

Grrrr ... can't believe I just wrote my diary out and then lost it:( Oh well, lets start again, but this time I'm going to save it as I go along:)

Before we start I'm a 43 year old married mum of 2, who had never really joined a class before. I did try WW at home once, but if I'm honest didn't really follow it, and I couldn't cope with counting everything I ate.

Okay, I'm going to go back in time, because I started my weight loss journey back in August 2012, although in theory it actually began back in January 2012, only it took me 8 months to actually pluck up the courage to walk into a Slimming World meeting, have to say in hindsight walking into that SW meeting was one of the best things I've ever done, and I could kick myself not doing it sooner. I'm guessing a lot of can say that though!!

I'd always been a slim girl, who could eat what I wanted without putting weight on. Believe me I use to eat so much rubbish it was unbelievable, but back then it included me walking everywhere and since I was a post girl in a large company it meant that I was on my feet walking around the buildings, delivering and collecting mail and doing the odd errands. I did put a little weight on whilst in a long term relationship, but managed to lose this very quickly and without even trying when we split up. Then I met my husband and was slim for a number of years, the thing that really changed it was when my dad died in my mid 20's, for some reason I just seem to pile on the weight, then I got pregnant and things or should I say me just seemed to expand from there. Anyway fast forward to January 2012 and a SW flyer came through the door, instead of throwing it away I kept it:). Fast forward another 7 months to the start of the school holidays. We spent that first week of the school holidays on holiday, I think it was the only week of summer we got last year, at least during the summer holidays. I was fed up of wearing the same baggy clothes, and on the last day of our holiday I broke the zipper on my favourite jeans .. I was devastated:( So, when we got home I found my little flyer and searched on the website for local groups near me. Still it took me another few weeks to pluck up the courage and join my local group.

I remember walking to group on that Monday evening, and getting to the doors and feeling so sick:( I very nearly didn't go in, but thought to myself give it a go, and if you don't like it or it doesn't work at least you can't say you didn't try. So I took a deep breathe and pushed those doors open, in hindsight it was one of the best things I have ever done:) Walking into that room was very daunting, everyone seemed to know one another, and there were tables and chairs all over the place. I stood in line and once I got to front said I was a new member, my consultant quickly placed me at the newbie table and gave me a form to fill in, whilst I watched and listened to the hustle bustle of the group. I had my new member chat, and then went an sat with the rest of the group ready for image therapy. I'd already seen a couple of friendly faces that I'd recognised and I was soon made welcome. At the end of the group I got to stand on the scales and see the damage, I couldn't believe it!

My reasons for joining SW were mainly for me, for my the 10 year old daughter (she's now 11) and for our holiday to Florida. Anyway in my first week I managed to lose 4.5lbs, I couldn't believe it:) It really hadn't felt like I was on a diet. The following week I was a little disappointed with a mere 0.5lb loss, but in hindsight it perhaps hadn't been my best idea to fill up on fruit and drink a litre of water just before leaving the house for WI ... but we live and learn .. well at least I did;) However week 3, I managed to lose another 2.5lbs and got my first sticker for 1/2 stone ... I was well and truly hooked:)

Fast forward 7 months, I'm still going to SW and am now part of the social team. This week I managed to hit my first real target of 10 stone, and have now set another target of losing another 7lbs, I find it easier to work with losses of 7lbs, as I find that I can reward myself more often, and smaller chunks are much better for me:) I can't decide if I want to lose more, I'm worried if I do I might lose the plot a bit, I have had issues with my weight previously during my school days and really don't want to revisit those days.

So my question is .. I guess more to myself than anything, would I be happier being a certain number on the scales, or being able to fit in a certain size of clothes. Oh I don't know, but I'm hoping this diary will help me:)

Last edited:
Oooh going out for a meal tonight with my friend to a local pub:) I've checked the menu out and to be honest it isn't exactly very SW friendly, however I've not had my HEX a or b today, figure I could have a coffee tonight and maybe even a small roll. Anyway food wise I've decided to go for a lentil and vegetable curry with onion bhajis, although I think I may pass on the bhajis.

Well I had a lovely evening out last night with my friend, we have a fab catch up. Dinner was good too, and I did as planned ... well kinda;).
I didn't have a starter or any bread, I did go for the red lentil & vegetable curry and a house salad with no dressing which was very nice, and no bhajis. However I did have a pudding, a very yummy black cherry bakewell with a scoop of ice cream, I didn't eat all the bakewell, but I dread to think how many syns were in them!!! I didn't have any syns yesterday, and so today will try not to have too many before WI on Monday. Mainly because I had a bit of a shock when I stood on the scales this morning, I know I shouldn't but I can't help it I'm a serial weigher ... there I said it, I admitted it;). Anyway according to my scales I'd put 1lb on:eek: Oh well, I guess I'll find out on Monday, but I'm sure 1 little pudding isn't going to do much damage ... well I hope not, or I'll have no hope when we go to Florida later in the year:p

mid week weigh ins mean nothing. I'm a serial weigher and know i can easily go up 3lb in the week but pull off a loss at weigh in :)

mid week weigh ins mean nothing. I'm a serial weigher and know i can easily go up 3lb in the week but pull off a loss at weigh in :)

Thanks Ally, I'm terrible because I have to weigh myself every morning, okay slight white lie, I don't have to, but I like to weigh myself every morning and have noticed previously that I can be heavier mid week only to lose at WI on Monday. Still I am watching what I'm eating syn wise for the next few days ... gotta save myself for my little buttons egg I've brought myself for Sunday;)

Just wanted to say hi.... "hi"
Your meal out sounds lovely and well done on refusing the bhajis, that would take me some real will power x

Just wanted to say hi.... "hi"
Your meal out sounds lovely and well done on refusing the bhajis, that would take me some real will power x

hi nette - you know I'm focused, in the zone, but I couldn't refuse the pudding;)

Hi :D congrats on your loss so far- that's fab! Popping by to subscribe. X

Well I haven't logged on for a couple of days ... naughty, naughty:eek:, but here I am. Well I managed to lose another 1lb this week, which has actually put me in the 9's:D, which is absolutely amazing, I can't tell you how happy and proud I am with myself:p

So okay it was easter this past weekend, and I swear if you came into my house you would see so many eggs and other goodies you would think it was a shop or something. The children got so many eggs and treats its unbelievable, whats also unbelievable is they have hardly eaten any chocolate. I brought myself one small chocolate buttons egg, which I've actually opened but over the past 5 days I eaten a grand total of half a shell. I still can't believe that the whole shell actually has something like 28 syns:eek:, I'm totally gobsmacked by that because pre SW I wouldn't have thought twice about eating a whole egg in a day, and its not even a medium sized egg. The only thing that has bugged me about easter is both hubby and I were brought chocolates and eggs by other family members, all of which are still sitting in their boxes waiting for hubby and the kids to eat them because I'm certainly not!!! I will admit that I am a chocoholic, so I really do have to have a lot of will power to resist, but since I am so determined to lose weight, then I'll eat chocolate that I can syn properly rather than guessing how much I've eaten. Does that make sense? Basically I'd rather eat a curly wurly or a freddy frog because I know exactly how many syns are in them, rather than guess because you know if I guessed one day then I'd do exactly the same the next day and so on, I'd slide down a slippery slope.

This week we've also been to the cinema:) We went and watched "The Host", which I really enjoyed. I had read the book, so I knew the story line. Hubby thought it was okay but said it was a chick-flick. I was also really good at the cinema, no popcorn etc, just a bottle of water and a rocky road hifi bar .... Mmmmm, my favourite:)

Last edited:
Not had a great day today, really been craving the chocolate, but I always seem to just before * week, however have been good chocolate wise. Also made homemade pizza tonight, not quite sure how many syns but I used my cheese as my HEb, and had lots of free food on it. I also had fresh pineapple with I didn't cook so that was free too:). I'm just not sure how many syns my base was ... oh well!!!! It was lovely though:D

Haven't done much else apart from clear a lot of my wardrobes out. I've managed to get rid of umpteen pairs of jeans and trousers (14/16), and the same kind of numbers for tops (14/16/18), so they are all in a bag ready for collection on Monday. I also have another bag with crappy clothes in for the tip, and then have saved some of my decent stuff that I've hardly wore to sell on ebay. I'm a little nervous about buying more clothes as I've already dropped down another size since January and I would love to drop another.

I don't know about anyone else but I know I've lost weight and I know that I am starting to look quite slim'ish but when I look in a mirror I just don't feel it!! Does anyone else have this problem?

Well I managed to lose a mere 1/2lb this week, but if I'm honest I'm quite happy with that as it seems to be my usual loss on *week, hopefully I'll have a bigger loss next week:) Saying that at group it seems most people put on, I think as a group, and we are a big group, we lost just over 20lbs, it would appear that easter week is very much like christmas week .. oops:break_diet:! I'm also pleased to say my chocolate craving has gone, and I actually brought a size 10 jeans and managed to fit into them ... yay:D I really need to start investing in some tops, because mine are all too big, and I look like I'm wearing a sack .. honestly some of my tops look awful. I think when I get back from the school run I shall go through my drawers and see what does and doesn't fit me, and have another good clear out!!! I do love having these clear outs, but I don't like seeing so much empty space. I also need to start photographing when I do have left and getting it onto ebay.

Rubbish, rubbish week:( Went to WI in on Monday and I put 1/2lb on:(

Okay, I know its not much, but its the first time since I joined SW in August 2012 that I had put on weight .. I had to admit I was absolutely gutted!!! I had a feeling I had put on, and in theory, yes I could have cheated and missed group and gone to another meeting in the week, there are tons around, but thats not really the point is it!!! I will hold my hands up and admit I really really did not stick to plan, although saying that I didn't eat a load of crap either, I just didn't keep my food diary. Anyway, I'm back on plan 100% this week, as I'm just albs from target.

On the plus side, I've brought 2 pairs of size 10 trousers/jeans ... yes, you read that right SIZE 10:D, and best of all they actually fit me.

Anyway, I'm going to try baking the chickpea dhal this week. I'm also going to keep my food diary online.

Food Diary

Monday
Breakfast - honey nut shredded wheat, semi-skimmed milk, 1/2 grapefruit
Lunch - tuna salad (lettuce, cucumber, celery, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, carrots)
Tea - salmon, couscous, pomegranate, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, spring onions, celery, sugar snap peas, tomatoes
Snacks - apple, banana
Drinks - water & fruit teas
Syns - 10 1/2 = lighter than light mayo (1/2 syn), harissa paste (1/2 syn), options hot chocolate (1 1/2 syns) and a M&S Walnut Whip (7 syns) - I felt so crap after my 1/2lb gain, and I just needed chocolate.

Tuesday
Breakfast - grapefruit, muller light yogurt, orange hi-fi bar
Lunch - tuna salad (lettuce, cucumber, celery, sugar snap peas, carrot, tomatoes), strawberries, raspberries, grapes, melon, pineapple, and pomegranate
Tea - homemade pizza, tomato topping, cheese (hexA), ham, sweetcorn, spring onion, mushroom & pineapple (pineapple not cooked though) and a huge salad
Snacks - banana
Drinks - fruit teas and water
Syns - 10 =pizza base which I estimate to be around 10 syns

Wednesday
Breakfast - honey nut shredded wheat, grapefruit
Lunch - SW vegetable tagine with couscous, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, melon, pineapple, kiwi and pomegranate
Tea - homemade chicken curry, rice and a huge salad (lettuce, tomatoes, celery, carrot, cucumber, spring onion), fat free yogurt
Snacks - banana
Drinks - fruit teas, water and diet coke
Syns - 5 =pataks curry paste, 3 mikado's, 2 rolo's

Last edited:
Okay carrying on with my food diary, I've had another good day:)

Thursday
Breakfast - honey nut shredded wheat with semi-skimmed milk and an apple
Lunch - ham salad, mullerlight yogurt, strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate, kiwi, melon, pineapple and grapes
Tea - salmon, low fat super noodles, cucumber, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, celery, and a banana
Syns - 6 = harissa paste (1/2 syn) and fudge (5 1/2 syns)

Tomorrow I'm going to try the chickpea dahl loaf, has anyone else tried this and if so, does anyone have any tips?

Okay, here we go again, Friday's food diary

Friday
Breakfast - hi-fi light rocky road, grapefruit and kiwi
Lunch - 2 muffin sized chickpea dhal loaf with salad
Snacks - hi-fi light rocky road, muller light yogurt
Drinks - fruit tea
Tea -
Syns -

And I made my chickpea dhal loaf, it was actually alright. I was a little unsure, but once I'd baked them in the oven they looked more appealing. Next time I going to grate some onion and add that in, I think it will make it more like an onion bhaji:)

Last edited:
Oops, I should have been updating this daily, however I have been keeping my food diary on the SW app, so time for a catch up ....

Friday
Breakfast - grapefruit, muller light yogurt
Lunch - Chickpea dahl loaf/muffin and a huge salad
Snacks - 2 x rocky road light hi-fi bars, banana
Dinner - rice, another huge salad
Drinks - water, fruit tea and diet coke
Syns - approx 9 (1/3 portion of chicken bhuna from the the indian)

Saturday
Breakfast - honey nut shredded wheat with semi-skimmed milk
Lunch - melon, pineapple, apple, pomegranate, kiwi, raspberries, strawberries
Snacks - muller light yogurt
Dinner - fresh tuna steak, low fat super noodles & a huge salad
Drinks - diet coke, water, fruit tea
Syns - 6.5 = harissa paste (0.5), dairy milk bar (4), mikado x4 (2)

Sunday
Breakfast - chocolate orange hi-fi bar, semi-skimmed milk
Lunch - chicken, potato & salad
Snacks - muller light yogurt
Dinner - ham omelette
Drinks - fruit tea, water, diet pepsi
Syns - 10.5 = mayo (0.5), mikado x5 (2.5), cadbury fudge (5.5), options hot chocolate (2)

Last edited:
Okay, I'm now all caught up with my food diary:D

So, it was that dreaded WI day last night, I don't know about anyone else, but I always get those butterflies fluttering around madly in my tummy before I go to WI. As I'm part of the social team, as soon as I got to our meeting I was sat at the computer greeting all our lovely members and registering new members. I can't believe that there has not been one single week where no new members have joined. Anyway, I think I was one of the very last to weigh in, so by the time I had stripped off. I always wear leggings but put my jeans on top, anyway I couldn't bear to look at the scales even though I knew I'd been good. So I screwed my eyes up as tightly as I could, until Wendy said "well done, you've lost ....... 2.5lbs". I couldn't believe it, I was so happy, especially after the little gain I had last week.

So I'm just 3.5lbs to target. But there's no way I can possibly lose 3.5lbs in a week. So I've set myself a target of losing at least 1.5lbs this week, that will take me up to my next award - 3 stone and then hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll get to target.

So I've set my target and I'm almost there but I would actually love to lose another 7lbs after that. But I'm not going to put the pressure of myself and just see how I do. Also I would love a few free weeks, and since we are off to Florida this summer, those weeks fee can go in my spending money or clothes fund:)

Fingers crossed for next week.

Well had another WI last night, and as usual I missed my 3 stone target by 1/2lb, I do it every time. But whereas previously I'd be quite narked about it, I mean just 1/2lb away really!!! The past few times I just though, oh well next time. So now I'm just 1/2lb away from my 3 stone award and just 2 1/2lbs away from target ... so you know what that means too ... it also means I'm that near to buying a new wardrobe:D I think I'm probably more excited about the new wardrobe than anything else. Still I need to keep a level head because until I get to target my wardrobe will be empty.

Last edited:
Group was very quiet tonight, as its bank holiday we never have a meeting, just weigh in. I did umm and ahh whether to go tonight, the weather has been absolutely glorious today and the family really wanted to go out for some pub grub, but I really didn't fancy going to WI after a pub lunch. So we have decided we'll go out Friday instead:D Also I'm part of the social team and I know that one of the other girls wasn't going to be helping and I didn't want to let anyone down. However, I have decided that I won't be going next bank holiday.

Anyway, back to my WI:) i have been on track this week,although I haven't kept a diary, really think I'm going to do that this week. We had a big family dinner yesterday which included homemade chocolate brownie, ice cream and even a couple of glasses of wine. Anyways, I managed to lose another 1lb, which got me my 3 stone award:party0049:, and now I'm just 1.5lbs away from target. I only have one week left on my countdown, so I really want to make it count, and lose that last little bit. I've also started working out, okay I'm the most unfit person I know and so decided to try the 30-day shred. OMG, how hard:eek:, all I can manage at the moment is the warm up & circuit 1, level 1 which is just over 10 minutes. But you know I'm proud of myself and its a start, and I've managed 3 days so far onwards and upwards I say.

Back