To weigh or not to weigh

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Suz1506, 3 August 2010 Social URL.

1. Suz1506

Suz1506 Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st7lb
    Current Weight:
    9st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(6.12%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I've read a couple of books that say you shouldn't weigh yourself, you should judge your weight loss on inches lost or how your clothes fit. I don't know what everyone else thinks, and I know it's not a good idea to weigh more than once a week, but weighing myself is the only way I can judge how well I'm doing. I did start to weigh myself only once a month but I feel personally I need to have a weekly weigh-in to keep myself on track (and hopefully to see those numbers on the scales going down!)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Nothing at all wrong with a weekly wi... any more frequent is probably a bad idea but a weekly one will keep you more focussed

4. Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly Gold Member

Start Weight:
    24st7lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st7lb(22.45%)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with weighing yourself, obviously not too often or you get obsessed with daily weighing!

I know that when I weigh in weekly if I lose then I am more motivated to carry on, and if I have stayed the same or gained anything then I know I need to work harder to see a loss next time.
    So yes, weigh ins can be good for keeping you on track.

5. sugar_lipswales

sugar_lipswales Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Always weigh on the same scales, the same day and the same time of day! I think a monthly weigh in would make me think I could let a few days slide after weigh in because I wouldn't see the resulting weight gain for another month if you see what I mean? And hey, it's your journey so it's completely up to you!

6. sugar_fiend

sugar_fiend Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I found that when I was trying to lose weight without scales, so by the fit of my clothes/measurements I lost a lot lot less weight and put it all back on because I think the results seem to appear slower.
    I like to weigh in weekly (and occasionally I give in to temptation and have a sneeky look midweek) but as long as your keeping track in a way that keeps you motivated then there is no right or wrong way and no-one else can really know what works best for you :)

7. kazzymc

kazzymc Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(10.78%)
    Diet:
    slimfast
    i weigh in monthly for me i prefer it i dont feel such a stress on myself if i dont do so well weekly, but ive always been weird lol i tried weekly wi but i just got obsessed and beat myself up over every little thing

8. lindseydodd408

lindseydodd408 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st9lb(29.7%)
    Diet:
    Myfitnesspal/low carb
    Personally I like a weekly weigh in, it helps me visually track my progress. I've lost two stone, unless I had seen this on the scales I would not believe it because in my eyes I don't look any different and my clothes are only a little bit baggy.

If I had not have seen the scales slowly tick down I would have lost heart and given in weeks ago!

I don't believe in hopping on and off the scales all day everyday, I don't think this is helpful as you can fluctuate soooooo much over the day and the week!

But each to their own xxx

9. Just Peachy

Just Peachy Slowly But Surely

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(17.73%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/Exercise
    I think weighing in every day can be quite inaccurate because of what you ate the day before, water retention, what have you. Weighing in on a weekly basis makes more sense to me because if they don't go down, I push myself even harder so they go down the week after. Judging by how your clothes fit is tricky, it might take a while until you realise that you have in fact lost any.

10. SammyE

SammyE Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(5.38%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I find seeing the scales go down weekly motivates me, sometimes I wish they would go down quicker or more then they do but I try to stay focused, I think I would slip up more if I did monthly

11. Just Peachy

Just Peachy Slowly But Surely

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(17.73%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/Exercise
    Sammy, definitely. It's just a good excuse cos you don't know where you're at!

12. madchef

madchef Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st8lb
    Current Weight:
    17st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2.5lb(11.13%)
    Diet:
    Low Fat
    My Scales are so inaccurate that I don't take any notice of them so I measure myself regularly which I find is reassuring cos no-one can argue with an Inch or so lost :D I then get weighed monthly when I see my Doc for my Xenical or when I go to my Sister's who has a brill set of scales which always matches the Docs.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.