Tomato Lentil Soup - Biggest Loser Style!

DQ

Queen of the Damned
Indian Inspiration: Tomato-Lentil Soup
A zip of international flavor turns this soup into a sensation.
Keep your food choices inspired by looking to many cultures. This traditional Indian soup keeps the flavor popping with a mixture of spices, plus it has plenty of hearty, legume fiber.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried brown lentils
4 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons black or yellow mustard seeds
1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 tablespoons chopped, peeled fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Pinch cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, without stems
Salt to taste

To Prepare:
Wash lentils and drain well. Add lentils and 1 1/2 cups of the chicken broth to a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat until the lentils are tender, but still retain their shape (about 20 minutes).
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan until hot but not smoking. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until seeds just begin to pop. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and spices. Simmer until the tomatoes are softened and the spices are fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, for about 4 minutes.
Carefully transfer the tomato ginger mixture to a food processor or a blender jar. Process until smooth. Return to saucepan and add cooked lentils and the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth, stirring to incorporate. Bring soup to a boil. Stir in cilantro. Season to taste with salt.
Yield: 1 1/4 quarts; 6 (3/4 cup) servings
Nutritional Values: Fat: 4 g. Carbohydrates: 15 g. Protein: 6 g. Calories: 112 kcal.

Hmmmmm that sounds lovely and right up my street :D

I have copied and pasted this into word and printed it off for future use. Thanks DQ :)

Oh if they send me anymore I'll make sure to post them - as I said, I get daily inspiration from them and watch the DVDs regularly to remind myself it can be done! :cool:

Back