tomato puree

mod-karen79

rainbows holiday buddy :)
has anyone else been told tomato puree is free?

my consultant mentioned this week and she mentioned to me about a year ago when i was a member previously. i've looked on the website and in the books and they all say 0.5 syns per tbsp!

she said all stock is free and i've checked and that's right, but i'm still scratching my head over the puree!

I thought tomato puree had oil in it which is why its not free.

Nope definitely synned. I'm afraid whoever said it was free was mistaken

Basic/Non Branded Foods Dressing, Tomato puree 1 level tbsp

extraeasy.gif
½ Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original ½ Syn
green.gif
Green ½ Syn

I always used to syn it, but I also heard about a year ago that it had become free.

it was definately puree she was talking about.

that's what i was told. she said the reason was because SW had decided that we aren't likely to overuse or binge on puree, hence why it's now free.

the same reason was given for stock.

So, is stock supposedly free too? To be honest, the amount you use is probably divided between at least 2 people, so the syns are negligable!

Woohoo! I never knew that! Yay! :D Makes life so much easier x

Puree is synned, but as I only use 1tbsp in my spag bol etc and it's split between 4 of us, I don't syn it for that particular meal :)

it was definately puree she was talking about.

that's what i was told. she said the reason was because SW had decided that we aren't likely to overuse or binge on puree, hence why it's now free.

the same reason was given for stock.
We were told this at class too

I always syn tomato puree at 1 syn for a medium sized 'squirt', but passata and tinned chopped tomatoes are free.

Our leader told us last week that all liquid stock and stock cubes were free, but stick granules werent? Is this still the case or has this changed?? I'll be quite miffed if it has changed, I went out and bought tones of cubes even though my mum has lots of granules!! >=(

All stocks are free, even the liquid ones like the Knorr stuff.

Gravy granules (the little stick-like ones) are not free. They aren't stock, and have more stuff added to them - thickening agents etc.

Tomato puree is synned as it's concentrated tomatoes. Like the cooked fruit theory, you're eating more of it than you normally would. So technically...should be synned.
However, I fail to see how a dollop of puree in a big pan of bolognese or chili would give you significant extra calories...so I never syn it :devilangel:

I don't syn it but in the latest mag one of the recipes, the sweet chilli chicken (I think) uses 6 tbsp so the recipe works out at a syn per portion (again I think!!), however the tikka masala uses one tbsp for 4 portions and the syns are negligable.

I can see this becoming free at some point in the future but it's currently synnable!

Back