Too embarrassed to go gym?!...

Do you feel embarrassed to go to the gym??

• YES!!!

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • NO...

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Sometimes or only a little embarrassed...

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
hi guys...
so i just joined here recently and one of my major problems is that im too embarrassed to go to the gym.
i dont know why because i kind of figure i should be proud that im doing something about my weight, but i feel like people look at me and go "o theres a fattie trying to lose weight, she'll never do it" and it doesnt help when theres sooo many skinny women in the gym :sigh:

if i go with my mum its not that bad, becuase then i feel like it looks like more of a general health thing, but i have a gym in my school and my whole school is being rebuilt so the new one will be even bigger and better but im too afriad to go for the reason i said above about what people think of me, and these are people i actually know, so its really embarrassing if they always see me going gym but never loosing weight.
my friends who want to go to the school gym just go to tone up and there all slim n stuff so i feel like the odd one out going with them :sigh:

does anyone experience this too and have any tips on how to get over this fear?

I absolutely used to be the same. For years and years I 'thought' about joining a gym but the fear was instilled deep within me, I thought people would look at me, laugh and stare.
Luckily enough I made a confident overweight friend (thank my lucky stars that I met her everyday!), she was one of those boisterous girls that had that "look mate, you can stare all you like, but I'm fat and I'm in a gym which means I'm trying to do something about it" attitude, and we would go together about three times a week. Before long I realised nobody was even looking at us and it was all in my head and if anybody actually did look at us I figured it was because they were insecure about being there themselves, because those were the sorts of people that would be looking around at everybody, not just us.

So I would say try going with a friend, doesn't matter what size the friend is, but it really does help having someone there for moral support. Also helps having someone there to have a giggle with when you can't work a machine or you fall off the rower like I once did. hehe

Hi! There's a thread further down with some great advice from people about the gym. You might find some encouragement there too. :)

Short answer is yes it can feel like the most humiliating experience but honestly I think alot of it is in our heads. Since I found the courage to go I've not had 1 nasty look at all and believe me when I say I'm not a pretty picture.:p People have glanced but I think if I saw someone like me there I'd probably look too, human nature I'm afraid but I do understand your fear. You aren't alone.:)

A month ago I was having exactly this debate with myself. On the one hand, I knew that joining the gym would help me to accelerate my weight loss which had stalled after losing around 4 stone.

On the other hand, I would hyperentilate at the thought exercising in a room full of skinny, fit people who would undoubtedly be sniggering and laughing at me.

It was my birthday a few weeks ago and I asked my OH to buy me the gym membership - left to my own devices, I knew I would keep avoiding it and I kind of thought that if he is paying for my subscription, I would be more inclined to go because I don't want to waste his money.

I did feel a little self conscious the first time I walked in but once I got stuck in, I barely noticed the people I around me and everyone else was so focussed on their own work out that they barely gave me more than a passing glance.

I've been going for just over 3 weeks now and I love the gym! I really enjoy it and feel absolutely comfortable in it now. I have been going 6 times a week and would go more if I could find the time! Ooooh, get me...I'm a gym bunny!

Everyone in a gym is there for the same reason - to improve themselves. I have found people to be really supportive and encouraging. And so what if a couple of people may have looked at me and thought 'look a that fat slob'...I'd be willing to bet that many more will have thought 'fair play to her for getting off her fat ass and making an effort...'cos I know that's what I'd think if the tables were turned.

If you can get a free trial at a gym, make use of it. If you really find it horrendous, then you've lost nothing and you never have to see any of those people again. However, I'd wager that it won't be nearly as bad as you're imagining and, who knows....you may even enjoy it!

Back