"Too fat" to be plus size model - Guardian article

Snakes and ladders

Silver Member
She is beautiful, with amazing skin.

shes stunning, i dont see a plus sized girl there.

personally id prefer to see a size 10/12 model on the catwalk instead of a size zero lollipop head. not only becuase it looks healthier but more realistic, we want to see how the clothes look on average sizes, not super skinnies.

The problem is that high fashion designers like the way clothes look on very tall, very thin women. Tht's who they design for. So someone like Armarni designs for tall and very thin, and his designs are diffused for the high street. If armarni is doing high-waisted, pegged trousers (which *only* work on tall and thin), then top shop will also do high waists and pegged legs. And then, ridiculously, so will Evans and Ann Harvey.

Then when plus size ranges need to model their stuff, they have to employ women who are barely plus size at all, because otherwise the shapes look all wrong.

Putting average-shaped women into clothes won't work if the clothes have been designed for an unusual body. All we can hope for is an ascendance of a fashion aesthetic that does work for other body shapes. for example: a few years ago, there was a big rise in fifties-style prom dress shapes - those work really well for pear-shapes.

aye its pretty sad that designers model on super skinny super tall women. The average uk size is a 16, not a 6/8. you wonder why so many high street retailers end up with a load of bollocks in their sale racks... its because they aren't designing for real people!!!

To me personally anything 10-14 is normal, 16 is in the middle somewhere and 18+ is plus size!

and the whole Evans/simply be models do my nut in... those women are a size 12, 14 max. >_>

I definitely wouldn't call her plus sized! She seems pretty average to me and I wouldn't mind being her size!
Would be nice if they stopped airbrushing the life out of all the models aswell so we could have something real to aspire to!

And I agree with Hannah, how can you sell plus sized clothes if they are gunna be modelled by a size 12?!

aye its pretty sad that designers model on super skinny super tall women. The average uk size is a 16, not a 6/8. you wonder why so many high street retailers end up with a load of bollocks in their sale racks... its because they aren't designing for real people!!!

To me personally anything 10-14 is normal, 16 is in the middle somewhere and 18+ is plus size!

and the whole Evans/simply be models do my nut in... those women are a size 12, 14 max. >_>

in shops, theres loads of size 6's, and barely any 12's and 14's. i dont see a size 10/12 model as plus sized at all, its quite ofenfensive saying that is plus sized!

hannata said:
I dont know where the high street finds all these size 6 wimmens to cater for.... i know where i live someone as slim as that is next to non existent :p

I think it's schoolgirls, pre-pubescent ones of about 13-14 who I see buying size 6s, mostly.

Although I do have some mates who are naturally very skinny, despite eating normally. They tend to have very little muscle and be quite weak and boyish, and they'd kill for hips, breast and a bum!

Funny how the grass is always greener on the other side, huh?

I don't think I will ever understand the world of modelling and fashion :D she is no where near plus size! She has the type of body I hopefully will achieve one day

Thanks for sharing. She is NOT plus size! I agree that from about an 18 onwards is what I think is plus size and yes defo agree with the comment about Evan/Simplybe models...Ridiculous xxx

I was a plus size/alt model for a while...although I was told quite a few times I was to big to be a plus size model! Most companies will not use anyone over a size 18 for plus size...and in the fashion industry plus size does actually start at size 12! Its insane but sadly true.

Back