Too much sugar?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I use myfitnesspal to count my calories and whilst I do find it more important that I stick with the calories than the fat, protein etc. I do try and stay within the sugar and fat levels. But I pretty much constantly go over on the sugar, not because I'm having lots of bad stuff but because of all the fruit that I'm eating. I'm just having a 300g pack of fruit salad now, it's only 135 calories but it's 32g of sugar, but naturally occuring sugar. I'm constantly going over because of the sugar in fruit and veg, it's all fresh fruit and veg so it's not like sugar has been added to it.

So, my question is... even though it's from fruit, am I having too much sugar?

Fruit is bad for you sugarwise. Its brilliant in fibre and vitamins, though I would suggest cutting it down. Vitamin C also helps fat absorption and energy creation as well so it may be affecting you that way.

Thing is, I'm still losing fairly well, so I don't think it's affecting my losses. I'm not even really having that much fruit, maybe 2 or 3 portions of my 5 a day from fruit. But I just don't see how on earth I'm meant to get 5 a day without going over. MFP gives me 35g of sugar a day as my target, I seem to hit between 50 and 60 on the days that I go over, but the majority of that is from fruit and veg.

Hi,

If you are losing well I wouldn't worry too much! It would be the first thing to cut back on though if you do start to stall. When you say sugar do you mean carbs? I'm on mfp and it doesn't give me a sugar amount, just carbs. I adjusted my own goals on there and have 47g a day of carbs, all from fruit (1 portion a day) and rest from non starchy veg. I never have bread, pasta, rice, potatos etc. My protein is quite high in comparison. I just find that works for me better than just counting calories....

I think its a case of working out what suits you best! :)

I did LighterLife and when I went on to RTM(a re feed programme) my LLC advised us that fruit does have a lot of sugar so not to eat too much in one day (have some of your 5 a day as veg or salad) but it is all natural sugars so it's the good sugars your body needs and can burn off easily with exercise.

If it's not causing you a problem at the moment I wouldn't worry too much about it. After LL abstinance I lost a further 2 stone nearly (during refeed and after) and I have 2/3 portions of fruit a day and it has never caused me a problem.

If you eat too many grapes or too much melon you could gain though as they have loads of sugar in them. The best fruit for me are apples and berries.

I have found that if it is sugars from too many sweets etc I wont lose weight but I can if it's from fruit.

I'm not an expert though, it's just what I have learnt myself and I lose 2-2.5lbs a week when I try. I am no longer trying to lose weight but don't want to gain so am still counting calories to maintain.

Nope, I mean sugars. You can alter what figures MFP gives you, I chose calories, carbs, protein, sugars, fats and sodium.

I do try and stay away from the higher sugar fruits and tend to go more for apples etc. But sometimes, in a rush, I buy the prepacked fresh fruit which is usually apple, grapes and pineapple I think.

I think I'm just going to stick with it and see what happens. Was looking through my MFP diary and I don't actually go over as much as I thought as often as I thought. I do try and have a lot of veg aswell, not just fruit.

Long story short, no :)

The MFP guidelines for certain things, including sugar, are very low. Moreover, MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and refined sugars. I was constantly going over on sugars everyday, so I don't count it anymore :) (I count cals, carbs, protein, sats, fibre and sodium)

The only sugars that are bad for you are refined. The only sugars you may ever want to limit are sugars that are released quickly into your bloodstream, and are especially bad for diabetics - these are found in high GI foods (not just sugary treats like, say, fudge, but also things like white bread, white pasta, white rice, certain cereals). Don't limit your fruit, it's good for you, and studies show that certain fruits with/before a meal increase iron absorption :)

The effects of fruit juices and fruits on the abso... [Br J Nutr. 1987] - PubMed result

Long story short, no :)

The MFP guidelines for certain things, including sugar, are very low. Moreover, MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and refined sugars. I was constantly going over on sugars everyday, so I don't count it anymore :) (I count cals, carbs, protein, sats, fibre and sodium)

The only sugars that are bad for you are refined. The only sugars you may ever want to limit are sugars that are released quickly into your bloodstream, and are especially bad for diabetics - these are found in high GI foods (not just sugary treats like, say, fudge, but also things like white bread, white pasta, white rice, certain cereals). Don't limit your fruit, it's good for you, and studies show that certain fruits with/before a meal increase iron absorption :)

The effects of fruit juices and fruits on the abso... [Br J Nutr. 1987] - PubMed result

That's pretty much what I thought, but wasn't sure. I don't really have refined sugars, my amounts of that are far lower than the MFP amount. I don't eat any sweets or chocolates. I don't have white anything, always wholemeal.

I might change it back to fibre instead of sugar I think.

Pineapple has lots of natural sugar but I have read that your body burns off more calories digesting it so it isn't an issue. I had loads on holiday and actually lost 2.5lbs.

The only fruit that I have been told in my LL meetings that people gain from often is grapes, but that is because they had eaten A LOT of them in one go, and I mean real lot.

Oooo I hadn't realised you could add things in on mfp. Am going to definitely do fibre and sugar as well as the others. Only been using it a week or two so not quite got the hang yet. Fruit is the main reason I switched over to CC, I missed it so much on Atkins!

Hi, Isn't a portion of fruit or veg 80 grams so eating 5 per day can be eaten quite easily without racking up a lot of calories. I count my calories on the Food Focus site, I've registered with MFP but I'm used now to FF so think I will stick with it.
It's nice to be counting calories, simpler than WW ProPoints.

Yeah it's not the calories that are the problem though, it's the sugar content. But I'm just going to ignore that from now on anyway.

Ah, yes - I got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not a sugar fan either, I'm sure it's addictive. My DiL has just been diagnosed diabetic. Good luck & success on your journey. :)

This info has been really useful thanks I normally have a lot/most of my days calories from fruit as I don't eat meat, not a big fan of most carbs, and I do eat vegetables for meals. Will keep on with the high sugar content unless weight loss does stall.

I always go over the sugar on MFP too :) but it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss too much! I eat some fruit everyday but I think it's the three coffees a day that kill mine! I just can't abide sweeteners so it's my one thing I can't give up!!!

Legomom, I can't get on with sweeteners either. A few years ago I started drinking my coffee sugar free, it took me about six weeks to get used to it. Now, I just do not like it sweet.

I'm trying to slooooowly cut down lol and train my brain that diet coke is neither revolting or gross! I find I can tolerate it with lots of ice! Lifesaving for those nights out with the girls!

I'm trying to slooooowly cut down lol and train my brain that diet coke is neither revolting or gross! I find I can tolerate it with lots of ice! Lifesaving for those nights out with the girls!
I read this and was like :O I lovvvvvveeeeee Diet Coke! It is my go to fizzy drink, I don't acutally like Coke

Try Pepsi Max, I'm not a fan of Diet Coke and love Coca-cola and full sugar Cherry Coke, but Pepsi Max is very sweet, and 1 calorie per can ^^

I'm not a fan of diet coke either, but I absolutely love coke zero and prefer it to normal coke. I was shocked that it tasted so much better than diet coke.

Back