Too much water

shelz

Silver Member
Can any professionals recommend how much water should be consumed in a day to maintain or loose weight?

I am finding I always go giddy when I stand up, from lying sitting or knealing. Is this something that could be caused by excessive water intake?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

To be honest it's probably more to do with what you are or are not eating and the fact that you are underweight. According to your profile your BMI is only 17.8. Whay are you eating over the course of the day? I know you have posted relatively recently about only having 600 calories a day and being concerned about a posisble eating disorder. I think it's more likely to be low sugar levels rather than water intake.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Ive started being very giddy/losing hearing/vision when i get up. Mum reckons its either lack of iron/sugar or low blood pressure. im going to the nurse in 2 week to get it checked so id advise the same to you! x

:hug99:Def think you need to go and see the dr hun.:hug99: Water doesn't tend to do that to you, in fact it is really good for you.
As much as you probably don't wanna hear it and I know you are slimming for your wedding, you are now clinically underweight and so if you are not taking in enough calories, you will probably find your body is struggling to keep going.

Just read your previous post http://www.minimins.com/bring-your-...-will-follow/143144-annorexic-tendancies.html and gotta say I am concerned. Have you spoken to a professional since this?
I am someone who has had all kinds of issues with food- starvation, excessive exercise, laxatives, binging etc etc and since doing slimming world, I feel in control for the first time ever but I am going to be having CBT when I am at target to ensure I stay there and don't go above or below beyond a few lbs as I have been at both ends of the spectrum and know I have it in me, to always have issues with food and my body.
I feel for you, but feel you need to get some professional advice because actually you are making yourself ill. I have needed a good shaking at several points in my life and I think this is your time when you need one!
Apart from what being over or underweight does for your confidence, it's what it does to your body beyond the physical... Now, I know my triggers and symptoms and I stop dead in my tracks as they start. e.g. I had a plateaux a few weeks ago and went and bought laxatives. Hard to admit but I did and it shook me into realising that my dangerous tendencies were coming back and I needed to take stock and prevent the danger zone. You may think 'it's only occasionally so no big deal' but actually it is a big deal and not healthy. A BMI of 17.8 is also not healthy.

I really really don't mean to sound harsh, but want to help as I know how devastating this path is if you go down it. You are at the point where you have been given advice, and you have a choice about whether or not you are going to take it.

Sending hugs xxx

I am seeing a doctor regularly at the moment to try and sort out my dizzy spells. He knows what my diet consists of and is relatively happy with this. Ive given about 4 lots of blood and been tested for many things. Of which the deficiency seems to lie with B12 and Iron, so now I have supplements to see if this makes a difference.

Believe me, I am trying to maintain now!

Hi Shelz!! I was going to post & see if you were still lurking? With regards to your question- too much water can definately do you harm- taken from a wiki after a quick google to explain the 'medical' impact:
"Actually the likelihood of drinking too much water is very small. In most cases, you will NOT flush out water soluble vitamins or electrolytes because of the way the kidneys produce urine, it uses the water to flush out ammonia but retains electrolytes. The exception is when you are drinking excess water and sweating a lot, for example when you are running a marathon in hot weather. In that case, you lose electrolytes through sweat (not through urination) and drinking pure water doesn't replace those electrolytes, and will result in a condition called Hyponatremia. Otherwise, drinking 8-12 glasses of water a day is healthy and helps keep your body in good working order. Aside from the above example, drinking very large amounts of water over a short period of time may be fatal. This was demonstrated in the infamous case of the "wee for a Wii contest" where contestants tried to drink the most water to win a Wii. One contestant died. The excess water dilutes electrolytes and causes water intoxication which can lead to electrical disturbances in the body resulting in erratic neuronal tranmission of signals which can cause death. == Answer == Most of us only need 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water unless exercising a lot or playing sports or in a marathon. If you drink too much water, eventually the kidneys will not be able to work fast enough to remove sufficient amounts from the body, so the blood becomes more dilute with low salt concentrations."
Another 'expert' I read recently recommended a large glass of water for each stone of bodyweight, spread over the course of the day would be plenty?
So basically unless you're drinking vast amounts of water, you're unlikely to be flushing out any nutrients that your food is providing, and unlikely to effectively 'drown' your organs?
I (and I'm no doctor) imagine your dizzy spells are down to a nutritional/hormonal reason, and the blood tests have picked up on it? Give the meds a chance- I'm anaemic and the iron meds really do make a difference? I used to black out on buses & stuff- scary, but haven't since I got my bloods back to where they should be?
Good luck hun, not long now til the 'big day'!

I do feel a lot better since taking the supplements and I have only taken them for 3 days. My light headed spells have decreased dramatically - I only had three yesterday whereas normally it would be everytime I got up. It would get to the point of passing out and nearly drove me to the stage of buying a baby gate to go on the top of the stairs.

I still drink a fair amount of water, especially now its so hot - but it is supplementing other drinks like coffee and tea. When at work and having a busy day I can easily get through 4.5-5 litres. I always like a glass of water first thing in the morning when I get up and do like to take sips randomly in the evening... So I am guessing my consumption is about 6/7 litres a day easily.

My exercise is changing now too. I have been forced to take a number of days off a week (one to begin with, then two) and now I am varying my routine. One day I will go to the the gym for a session, one day I will do a Cardio KickBox Class, another I will go to the gym and swimming. I do still do my home based DVDs but this is very rare since moving home. If the scales are down or the same on Monday I will be taking that extra third day off a week.

Programmes like Supersize V's Superskinny hit hard. I know I dont eat a varied enough diet but after talking the doctor through my menus of the days he seemed happy that I was actually consuming enough.

I guess now its a waiting game and time will tell. =)

Well today the scales dropped 2.5lbs more on last Monday. Thats with an extra day off exercise. So plan this week is to have same days off and eat more gradually.

Light heads are still as strong as ever. =(

Sorry you're feeling so ill hun :( Hope you sprt it out soon. Perhaps try and increase your calories for a few weeks and see how it goes, your body is obviously in losing mode so maybe try and enjoy the opportunity to be naughty and have some extra treats :) x

Sorry you're feeling so ill hun :( Hope you sprt it out soon. Perhaps try and increase your calories for a few weeks and see how it goes, your body is obviously in losing mode so maybe try and enjoy the opportunity to be naughty and have some extra treats :) x

Shelz, I agree with Debbie, maybe a few extra treats is what you need, especially in this heat...forget salads, eat chips!!

Debbie, you look fantastic....your pics are very inspirational. You must feel on top of the world and it's not taken you that long to lose. Well done, be proud and positive and wear lots of very revealing clothes in this heat!!

xx

My supplements are starting to make me feel really sick and bloated. I dont feel like I want to eat as I feel that sick. I had to force down a salad last night, I got so uncomfortable it was unreal.

I am going to shrink my water consumption daily and see what happens as a result of this as well as the reduced exercise. I also used to chew a lot of gum to replace snacking on food - going to try and eliminate this too as I think snacking on the odd grape would be beneficial.

Can I really afford to loose much more weight?

I am going to shrink my water consumption daily and see what happens as a result of this as well as the reduced exercise.

Why not just eat more? :confused: You need food. Water doesn't make any difference to fat loss/gain.

odd grape would be beneficial.

Absolutely, especially if accompanied by chips. You need food. If you struggle to force down salad, have something carby. That'll help. If you are doing a lot of cardio on very few calories, then you are probably losing muscle. Yeah, it can give you good weight losses, because lean is heavier, but your heart is a muscle, your lean includes your major organs!

Why are you doing this to yourself Shelz?

I agree wholeheartedly with KD. You are underweight and need to be thinking about gaining rather than maintaining. And certainly not looking to lose more as you are already 18lb below your target weight.

Please listen to the people here who even though they don't know you personally, don't want to see you doing yourself harm. You need to listen to what your body is telling you, and believe me it's fairly shouting at you to eat more. And it's doesn't have to be fatty foods like chips or chocolate, just nutritionally sound protein and complex carbohydrates. Why not jot down a typical day's intake and we can give you some advice?

I am in the process of seeking help. Weight bombed to 7 Stone 7 this Monday. I was told I look like a young child. =(

Aw hun, I hope that man of yours is still giving you support? I hope you get the help you need (& deserve). XXX

Back