too much water?

nettie

Gold Member
Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to have too much water? I have had 5 litres today and I usually drink at least another litre before I go to bed. Am I drinking too much and could this effect my weight loss?
Thanks in advance :)

Blimey wish I could drink a quarter of that amount! Personally I think its too much do you do lots of exercise? X

I dont do any exercise at all and I have an office based job so spend all day sat down. Do you think it will effect my weight loss?

It's not your weightloss id be worried about - its your brain!!!

You can flood your Brain with too much water. V. Dangerous!! I think the maximum recommended is 3.5 litres??

Try googling it!

It's not your weightloss id be worried about - its your brain!!!

You can flood your Brain with too much water. V. Dangerous!! I think the maximum recommended is 3.5 litres??

Try googling it!

Only if drunk over a very short period of time. If it's spread over the course of the day then there is no problem, your body just expels the excess. There's nothing wrong with drinking 5L over a day except of course the numerous visits to the loo :)

Personally I would say its too much, but if you feel ok drinking that amount...as for if it will affect your weight loss, thats something only you can find out as everyones body works different. Some people (like me) can't drink much, others can go on drinking forever.

I asked this question to Lucy wyndham fitness expert before because I was drinking 3-4 and she said its a good amount and providing I am sipping this throughout the day there is no danger.

To flood the brain and the incidents in which this has happened is drinking it all too quick, 1 woman done 3/4 litres in one before work just so she could get it out the way... And let's be honest it's not gona happen to everyone same as no 2 people suffer the same with anything

If you happy drinking that amount then continue I cannot see how it would affect weight loss the water we retain naturally is due to salt and not enough water intake

I drink a ton of water throughout the day too. The only way it will affect your weight is if you drink a lot of it shortly before getting on the scales for your weigh in as it will not have 'passed' through by then.

i usually stop glugging my pints of water an hour or so before on weigh in day.

x

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your replies.
I think I have been drinking more because I have aimed to drink more since starting SW but didnt realise how much I had had until I got home from work. When people were offering cups of tea I just asked them to fill up my water bottle instead... we have a lot of tea and coffee at work!
I havent had as much today but only because I havent left my desk all day. I think I will try to limit myself to 3 litres. Thanks for the advise everyone :)

If you are drinking it because you want to, and it is spread over the day, then that's OK. If you are drinking because you are continually thirsty, no matter how much you drink, then that could indicate a problem, such as diabetes.

Back