Top Taste Crispy Onions

emmyemms83

I just loooove these crispy onions on salads, baked potatoes etc. I've had a quick search and couldn't find anything on their syn value. Just wanted someone to confirm I've worked this out right...
Nutritional info from their website...

Ingredients
  • Onion (75%)
  • Vegetable oil
  • Wheat flour
  • Salt
Nutritional value (100-g serving):
  • Energy 2380kJ / 573 kcal
  • Protein 6gr
  • Carbohydrates 40 gr
  • Fat 42 gr
With free food as onions in syn calculator, and the above info, comes out as 26.5 syns for 100g (the size of the tub). I weighed a table spoon of the pieces which was 6g. If I put portion size as 6g then I get 1.5 syns per 6g.

Sound ok? Definately worth the syns in my opinion, if I'm right lol! Yum!

As they are a dried ingredient I don't think they will qualify for a free food allowance, so they will be 1 syn for every 20 calories.

Prob best to check with slimming world

I agree with BritMum, I dont think onion will count as free, but ou never know, you can call and ask.

I agree that as the onion is dried, it probably wouldn't be a free food.

Without the free food allowance, the syn value per 100g is 119. Therefore, for 6g it would be 7 syns.

Looking in the book it lists vegetables as free if they're "fresh, frozen, canned or pickled"

I agree that as the onion is dried, it probably wouldn't be a free food.

Without the free food allowance, the syn value per 100g is 119. Therefore, for 6g it would be 7 syns.

How did you work out 119 syns if you don't mind me asking? Is is not 573kal/20 which is 28.65 syns? Not that different to when I included the free food. So even with no free food it's only 1.7, or rounded to 2, syns per 6g? Is this right? Confused now!

yep is 2 syns per 6g, not sure where the 119 syns came from lol

I think perhaps that was using the KJ by mistake and not the calories.

Back