Top Weight Loss Tips!! *Post Them Here*

· See yourself thin.
· Imagine what you'll look like when you get there.
· Search the clothes you'll be able to buy when you're at goal.
· Be proud of yourself at the end of every day when you've stuck to your plan.
· Celebrate every single lb in weight that comes off, rather than thinking well it's only lb, i've still got loads to go.
· If you’re hungry have a glass of water.
· Increase your exercise – even just walking round the block on a night. If you don’t normally do this then it is beneficial.
· Stay strong – Don’t let the cravings beat you.
· Above all – WANT IT more than you want to eat rubbish.

I agree Georgiestar!

I have another one...

When you're washing the dishes or doing housework get some music on or even better if you have an mp3 player stick it on and dance about like a loony! You're burning some more calories (not hundreds mind but more than just doing your housework the normal way) and having fun :D

Always take the stairs
Use a bus? Get off one stop earlier
Always go for a walk in your lunch break
Need to talk to a colleague? walk to their desk dont email them
Always have low cal food handy, sticks of carrots,celerey, bowl of fruit
Don't keep loads of sweet treats in the house.
Brush teeth after a meal it will stop any food after tasting nice
Have a glass of water 20 minutes before eating
Have some clothes one size smaller will feel great when you try them on and they fit

remember you are not on a diet. This is a healthy eating plan, when you are where you want to be you can never go back, you need to learn to maintain, your weight which is a skill which needs to be learnt.

My Top Tips are as follows (and they are starting to work for me):

1. Portion control, I could easily stuff a bit more in, but by putting less on my plate I know that's all I'm getting.. My wife is helping out in this area.

2. Eating slower, I know they all say it (McKenna) but it does work, I feel full after eating less, it's kind of strange...:D

3. Drink more green tea or Peppermint tea instead of coffee as I used to put sugar in coffee.

4. Get up early in the morning for a swim, I'm now up to 5 days a week swimming, and my body is toning up..

1. Drink a nice hot drink. I don't know why but I tend to be a little worse for bingeing if I'm cold, it makes me want "comfort" foods. Grab a nice cup of tea (try peppermint, the tastier the better) and dive under your duvet with a Nick Hornby book :)

2. Don't drink ice-cold water. For some odd reason I confuse the feeling of cold liquid in my stomach with hunger (?!). Don't cut down on your water intake though - drink it out of a sports flask instead of dispensers/cups. You can carry it around and it won't be as cold.

3. If you begin to panic on the sight of a triggering food (chickenburgers and cookies = my evil temptresses) take three deep breaths. Tell yourself you are beautiful and alive, and you deserve beautiful living foods, then grab an apple or a very vegetably salad (no cheese!). You need a hippy mentality to make this one work, but thankfully I was born with my head screwed on loosely :D

If heaven forbid you lapse don't be too hard on yourself, we are only human after all, you will not ruin all your hard work for one bad day. get back on track the very next day and you may not even notice teh difference on the scales.

Couple of mine :)
1. Never give up when you have a blip just get back to it as soon as.
2. Plan.... weekly or daily and have a back up plan for the unexpected.
3. Oldie but a goodie....piccies on the fridge(have a virtual on of me at target there too) but the worst one is there really does keep me at bay :)

* Restrict the telly. Try and pinpoint the part of the day that you seem to loose it the most and KEEP BUSY. I find that if I sit in front of the telly during the evening I tend to be more vunerable. I often write myself a little timetable for the evening to keep me focused on things other than food.

* Early bedtime - a good night's sleep does wonders on your willpower :). If you find it difficult to sleep do your workout in the evening to use up some of that extra energy that keeps your brain from switching off.

* Relaxing music - if you have an MP3 fill it with relaxing tunes (Sigur Rós, Tom Waits and Royksopp are good bets) and play it quietly whenever you are stuck at a desk. I always have music playing when I make notes, revise or go online. I tend to get very bored or anxious when doing these things, but music gives you something else to focus on if you hit a block so you can calm down. No Sex Pistols or Bryan Adams! This music has to be nice but ignorable.

These are all good tips everyone :)

My tips would be:

1 - I havent found anyone that tries this before, only me! But what I do is on my weigh day, when i find out how much I've lost I put that amount in £'s in a jar (say i lose 2lbs, I put £2 in) if you put on 1lb you take £1 out! Then when you're at your goal weight you use the money to go and buy youself a lovely treat :) Helped me a lot when i lost 4 stone originally coz i ended up with nearly £60 in there hehe

That's a GREAT one. I'm definitely going to try that! Thanks :D

my tips;
1. Eat slowly and carefully, some of us just devour our food without giving our bodies chance to recognise it's eaten anything. Use every meal as a chance to experience the tase and texture of your food.. instead of rushing into it.

2. If you have an exercise machine or two at home, pin pictures up of yourself on the wall in front of the machine.
The sight of yourself now, will egg you on to do the exercises.
I also pin pictures of toned, fit, healthy women on my wall below my picture to keep me inspired.

3. Before you shower everyday, take a long look in the mirror, naked. Our clothes are capable of distorting our body image, but when we're naked we can see all of our flaws and all of the good aspects of our body. One glimpse of any cellulite will make you want to stick at your routine. You will also notice changes in your body, and show progression.

4. If you're watching TV at night, make sure you get up and walk around or go upstairs during the breaks. I drink loads of water during the evening, so when I'm downstairs watching CSI, I always need to wee during the breaks :D
Keeps me moving and active, so I'm not slumping on the sofa the whole time.

5. Learn to cook. Cooking your own food from scratch is a great way of trying different flavours but keeping track of what ingredients are used. Not only that, but it will taste so much better if you've put in the effort to prepare it yourself.

6. Don't completely deprive yourself of treats. I use a Sunday as my 'slacking' day, where I can have a bar of Galaxy chocolate whilst watching Supernatural :D and a few glasses of coke or lemonade. As I know that Monday I will be back to doing my normal routine.

7. Alternate your exercises every once in a while. Our bodies get used to doing an exercise after about 4 weeks or so, and doesn't respond as much... so try making your exercise more intense, or buy yourself a new exercise machine/piece of equipment.. or even a new exercise/fitness dvd!

8. When you're on holiday, and away from the gym don't forget that you're never too far from a pool, beach, or tourist attraction.
Use picture taking time as an excuse to have a long walk, do a few laps in the pool, or play lots of energetic games on the beach.

9. Use music to it's advantage! Put some energetic music on during your housework regime... it's always fun to dance whilst doing the dusting or the dishes!

i just have a couple that i find useful,foodwise
1. use low fat cheese (leskol is the nicest one i've found) and grate it finely as smaller amounts seem to go futher
2. bulk out pasta with mushrooms ( not sure why they work best for me but they do), goes with most sauces and fills you up whilst cutting cals.

eat breakfast, it starts the metabolism off and it stops the want to binge such a big portion at lunch time with being so hungry, people that eat breakfast loose weight better than ppl who dont.

Along the lines of "2 squares of chocolate", I found that once I'd opened a big bar of choc, I couldn't stop. I just go back and have a couple more, a couple more, then a couple hours later the bar would be gone. Solution: I would make sure I did supermarket when I'm not hungry, and not buy any big bars of choc.
Then if I was really craving it (usually once a month!) I would have to go out to the shop to get it (usually enough to put me off!). And I would only allow myself to buy the small bars not the 250g ones so no danger of eating. Also meant somehow that I'd "finished" a bar, not partly eaten one if that makes sense!

Ok one thing I have, is that I do like having a biscuit with my tea in the afternoon sometimes. But if I buy Jaffa cakes or something like that I WILL eat the whole packet. So I deliberately buy the things I'm not so keen on to keep in the house. Goes for crisps and such as well. If I wasn't so keen on them, on the occasions when I wanted a bit of a treat I was easily able to have just one bag out of the multipack, etc.

And eating food slower, and with water.. I struggle with that, bad habits (from when I'd only have a few minutes to eat a meal) mean that I wolf my food down too often.. But thinking on it like an exercise, or experiment I'm doing with myself helps me.

If I'm hungry at a time that isn't round meal times, have a glass of water. I know it's been mentioned but it's so true. It works.

And likewise it's been mentioned but asking yourself before you eat anything, "Do I really NEED this or just want it?" I found helped.

hi
my top tip is when i'm having a craving for chocolate, cake, fast food etc... I immediatley think of that food covered in something horrid (i'll leave that to your imagination lol). This has been working brilliantly for me as it makes that scrummy food suddenly not appear so attractive!!

hi
my top tip is when i'm having a craving for chocolate, cake, fast food etc... I immediatley think of that food covered in something horrid (i'll leave that to your imagination lol). This has been working brilliantly for me as it makes that scrummy food suddenly not appear so attractive!!

hahaha i was sitting here thinkin damn im hungry but dont want to snack and read this and funnily enough the hunger went :p

1. If you're feeling really hungry a big cup of tea without sugar is usually quite filling.

2. Try and leave a little something on your plate after each meal, this is helping me to get out of the mindset that I have to eat everything thats in front of me!

3. If you find you can't face the idea of going the gym or exercising tell yourself you're just going to do 10 minutes then and mean. You'll more often that not find after 10 minutes you wan to carry on, if not at least you got up and gave it a go!

Rachel, your points are really good.

I agree with you on the exercise point cos most days I just dont feel like it and I do try to at least attempt it and if I dont get far then I feel better for getting active at least a wee bit :D

One of our lecturers gave us a tip for doing assignments which can be applied to doing exercise. Do them when you feel bad, not when you feel good. It's easy to say "oh I don't feel like starting it now, I feel rubbish", and put it to one side. But then if you do them when you feel bad, by getting them started you feel a bit better. And then when you feel better it's easier to carry on and get the assignment finished.
I was skeptical when he said it but I find it actually works for me!

Back