Totally gobsmacked!

I started at class last week but read and read and read some more about SW before I went - including every forum on here. 3 of us started together and 1 girl looked completely blank the whole way through the induction and asked some really strange questions - she did not stay for Image Therapy and I can guess who will have the best weight loss on Thursday;).
Thats whats good about our group i think.. the consultant does the new members talk whilst we all weight in and then the new ones join us and are weighed at the end this means they need to stay.

My whole point of this thread was to say that it's not the first time I have come across people just not knowing what it's all about.

I remember a couple of years ago, there was an older lady who lost 2 stone and 10% award etc and was often slimmer of the month and week - when our consultant asked which plan she was following she replied ''well I'm not really, I just cut back'' and the consultant and the rest of the class were gobsmacked! It was a tumbleweed moment lol.

I know that SW can be difficult for some to get their head round and it usually falls into place eventually, but I just get amazed at the lack of basic knowledge some people have of the plan when they sit in all the image therapy sessions, buy the magazine etc and I often wonder why they just dont go and ask if they are stuck. I know that my consultant would be happy to let any members sit in on the new member talk as a refresher.

Like I said, it's not even the more complicated aspects of it - it's when people ask if you can have pasta or chicken or what hi fi bars that I think ''hello!!!!! wake up!''

We have a few members in our group who claim they don't really follow the plan... Why spend £5 a week then? There's one woman who is a gain a lb lose a lb type who at a taster session brought a quiche.... With pastry and exclaimed very loudly that it was completely syn free. When the consultant said no it isn't she got very argumentative about it being the SW quiche recipe and just couldn't understand that the pastry was synned.... She's been going for years too.

We have a few members in our group who claim they don't really follow the plan... Why spend £5 a week then? There's one woman who is a gain a lb lose a lb type who at a taster session brought a quiche.... With pastry and exclaimed very loudly that it was completely syn free. When the consultant said no it isn't she got very argumentative about it being the SW quiche recipe and just couldn't understand that the pastry was synned.... She's been going for years too.

Oh dont get me started on taster sessions!!!!!!

I like cooking and generally make my favourite syn free lasagne or a nice curry, but I have seen people bring packets of grilled chicken pieces form tescos etc. The worst one I ever saw was someone that made cauliflower cheese - I had a good bit of it and asked how she made it so creamy and she said she used packet cheese sauce, some butter, some milk and lots of cheese - LOL. I suppose I learnt my lesson then about not putting stuff in my mouth before finding out the syn value!

There is also the dreaded couscous cake which is a massive tweak and out consultant has advised us not to eat i like it's going out of fashion - well someone made one of them with mincemeat, dried fruit, stewed apple etc etc etc.

My mums a classic 1 for not following the plan then wonders u she can never get past a stone off...she says she hasn't had anything bad but then under scrutiny she said she'd had a sandwich-made with tiger bread,home sliced (a guesstimate to me would be 12 syns a slice due to thickness of the slice) plus proper butter (cos u can't have fresh bread without proper butter) so a minimum of 30 syns just for that sandwich! But that's ok cos she didn't have breakfast...grrrr! Lol x

Me too Liz, why go to an SW class if you're not following the plan? How can they offer advice and support if they're doing their own thing!!!!!

Reckon the consultant would be a bit annoyed if they gave out their own diet plan and advice in group!

Me too Liz, why go to an SW class if you're not following the plan? How can they offer advice and support if they're doing their own thing!!!!!

Reckon the consultant would be a bit annoyed if they gave out their own diet plan and advice in group!

And let's be honest here - by winning SOTW and awards etc when not following the plan is a bit dishonest x

stivesliz said:
And let's be honest here - by winning SOTW and awards etc when not following the plan is a bit dishonest x

I agree there, especially since vlcds are popular.. i tried them for a while pre sw an u can loose 7lbs plus in ur first week. So i feel u shouldnt be getting slimming worlds slimmer of the week if not following the plan x

I've been doing SW for last 18 months and for six months the year before and have only just discovered that blue cheese isn't a Healthy extra!

Shirleen said:
I've been doing SW for last 18 months and for six months the year before and have only just discovered that blue cheese isn't a Healthy extra!

The two things I miss the most hummus and blue cheese. :(

mrstaylor said:
The two things I miss the most hummus and blue cheese. :(

Houmous is soooo easy to make.... Whizz up a drained tin of chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and whatever flavour you like (I love red pepper)

clairebrookes said:
Houmous is soooo easy to make.... Whizz up a drained tin of chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and whatever flavour you like (I love red pepper)

I have tried a couple of recipes, but it really isn't the same! I'm roasting Aubergines at the moment to see if I can make Baba Ganoush!

I can see both sides to this, when my BF was heading to target, he followed the plan loosely, would stick to the overall plan, but have loads more syns and run loads so he could get away with it. He enjoys going to the meetings as we have met some genuine friends in our group and see it as much as a social. He is useless with the plan and even though we have been following it since Jan and he is still at target he still constantly asks me what he can have! Although on the same note when Man of the year came up he told everyone not to vote for him as xy deserved it more.

that sort of thing gobsmacks me too!!! i really do find it unbelieveable!!

one of my main pet hates at group(im a target member) is being asked ' what's your secret?'......i usually stand there,jaw on floor and a good few seconds before i can pretty much only stutter....nothing i just read my books and followed it!!! and then its like ooooooooo!

i really cant believe how often i am asked that,quite often by long standing members like you describe too.i never lost a tremendous earth shattering amount and my losses were always smallish but i was consistent.....i was consistent because i stuck to it!

lurverick said:
that sort of thing gobsmacks me too!!! i really do find it unbelieveable!!

one of my main pet hates at group(im a target member) is being asked ' what's your secret?'......i usually stand there,jaw on floor and a good few seconds before i can pretty much only stutter....nothing i just read my books and followed it!!! and then its like ooooooooo!

i really cant believe how often i am asked that,quite often by long standing members like you describe too.i never lost a tremendous earth shattering amount and my losses were always smallish but i was consistent.....i was consistent because i stuck to it!

I think the question is really what's the secret to staying committed to it. Not how you did it. We all know it will work IF WE STICK TO IT, but that's the bit we all find hard.

I think the question is really what's the secret to staying committed to it. Not how you did it. We all know it will work IF WE STICK TO IT, but that's the bit we all find hard.

quite simply i wanted to,and i wanted to lose the weight as fast as possible to me (not silly fast just didnt want hold ups in form of gains)! that was more important to me than the crisps/chocs etc.
i think really the 'secret' is just how much and how fast you want it.....theres nothing wrong with the scenic route but it wasnt my way or what i wanted.

Back