Totally off topic....hysterectomy ...remove ovaries or not..advice sought

tracy36

I have large fibroids which are causing considerable pain. I am going to be given hormone injections to shrink them which will stop periods and make me feel menopausal. Having the injections for 3 months to shrink fibroids and see if pain eases to just check it is fibroids causing the pain. Consultant will then offer hysterectomy and asked how I feel about losing ovaries too due to the risk of cancer and other problems that could develop with them later. I thought I wanted to keep them, there's nothing wrong and to me they give me the hormone that makes me a woman. He said they won't be working much longer so consider it. I would really appreciate advice from anybody who has gone through this as I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thank you

How old are you?

My sister in law had fibroids & had an hysterectomy but don't think they took her ovaries though.

My thoughts are 'are there really risks of cancer & if so how/why' what will happen if they remove them i mean to you physically/mentally, what are your gut feelings, will they keep a check on you for cancer, what are the % of people developing cancer who have had a hysterectomy to those who haven't.

That's all I can think off for now, sorry but not really answered your question:rolleyes:

Hi Tracy, I was 47 when I had my ovaries removed during a hysterectomy (due to threat of cancer) - It didn't make me feel "less of a woman" - if you're surgeon has said that your ovaries won't be working for much longer I guess you are approaching menopausal age. The removal of your ovaries throws your body into a premature menopause, which you would go through at some time anyway.
Ovarian cancer is a killer and one of the cancers that doesn't show many symptoms, and is often detected too late.
For me, it wasn't much of a choice to make.
Good luck - I know it's a tough decision, but I'm sure you'll do what's right for you.
Tina x

Thank you, I am 46. What I said about ovaries making you a woman looks stupid written down, I don't mean I'd be less of a woman, I actually don't know what I mean, I think I'm just worried about hormones. It's my age!! Thanks for help and advice it's really appreciated....

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago when I was 38 due to a nasty infection caused by my coil - I also had fibroids & ovarian cysts. My ovaries were removed as they couldn't be saved. I have hrt patches as I didn't want to take daily tablets (tablets = illness in my head - silly I know), and I can honestly say that I have never felt better! The fake hormones are fab - much better balanced than the ones my body was producing - meaning I am calmer, less emotional and generally not the irrational cow I was before!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it's a tough decision - just make sure you get sensible advice from your doc xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you. Saw doc today got my meds to shrink fibroids to ensure pain due to them before hysterectomy. Being screened for ovarian and breast cancer gene to aid with ovaries decision.......thank you for advice...

Back