Tried and tested ways

dizzydawnie

Silver Member
to poach an egg! :eek:

Urgently required - I have thrown 4 eggs away today as I've fried them without oil and they have been a disaster.

I'm fancying trying to poach and egg but have never done it, can anyone please give me some tips on how to do it - and can I only do one at a time?

Many thanks!
x

If you don't have an egg poacher, which i don't, then try my method:
Bring a small pot of water to the boil, once boiling add a little vinegar and a little salt, then swirl the water round and round with a fork and drop your egg in the middle now turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. You'll have to watch the egg to see when it's done to your liking.
Hope this helps!

Defo agree with the above.

A quick n easy method - Pop to wilkinsons or somewhere similar, poundstretcher or something. They sell plastic microwave kits. Inside there's an omelette maker n two round holders to do poached eggs. All u have to do is crack one egg into each plastic round holder, add a spoon of water then prick the egg white n yoke with a fork n nuke for about 20-30 secs. Sorted.

Why cant you use oil to fry them? I use butter with a tiny drop of olive oil to stop the butter burning, and they are delicious, with a sprinkling of salt and white pepper!

You can get those little poach pods to make life even easier? But iwannabemes method does the trick.

thank you all!!

I will have a look out - I remember the old poachers Mum used to use when we were little but the yolks always hard, and then I remember trying Microwave ones and them exploding! :D

I am definitely going to have a go at doing them in the pan - that sounds to easy to be true!! :rolleyes:

x

This isn't the traditional way of poaching an egg, but I used to do it the same way you'd fry and egg, except use water instead of oil.

Put about 1/2 inch of water in an egg pan.
Heat to just before boiling and drop the egg in.
Put the lid on (or a plate on the top if the pan doesn't have a lid).
Leave for a few minutes until done to your liking.
If the whites are still gooey, flip the egg over and leave for a few seconds.

The only successful way I've managed to poach and egg. I've tried doing it the normal way, but they always end up with dangle-y strands or seperating completely :(

Back