Trimming off 'all visible fat'...

I've started buying bacon medallions because it's just easier. I also remove the skin from chicken before cooking as it's easier to resist when it's all flubbery and uncooked! I always marinade my chicken before cooking so it doesn't go dry without the skin.

I can never get the skin off when its not cooked - any tricks? Thanks Carole xx :D

I've started buying bacon medallions because it's just easier. I also remove the skin from chicken before cooking as it's easier to resist when it's all flubbery and uncooked! I always marinade my chicken before cooking so it doesn't go dry without the skin.

I couldn't agree more Kathy! My local farm shop is very reasonably priced & you can get more unusual cuts if meat. I also like how you can buy as much or as little as you like of anything, and the butchers are always on hand for advice! X

Yes, so do I, Rosie. I like how they actually know the names of the farmers they buy from too. When I commented once that I suppose they didn't know the precise fat content of their mince, the butcher pointed to the exceptionally lean braising steak and told me that's what their minced beef was minced from. To prove his point, he minced me some, there and then. When I cooked it, no fat ran off it and it was delicious! :) x

Hi Matt = do you cook the chicken with the skin on ? Thanks Carole x

Sorry for the late reply!

I never cook with the skin on, as it'd be very tempting to eat after taking it off, aha. I always buy the Smartprice Chicken Portions, which is around 1kg for £1.90. Defrost in the microwave, cut the skin off, then leave to marinade in a BBQ one for around 8 hours/overnight.

Back