Trouble with Weight Loss - Need Dieting Advice

I'm hoping for a few pointers or maybe a recommendation of a diet that will suit. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum (getting used to the layout).

Over the years I've been slowly putting on more and more weight but I don't really know why. I'm not an over-eater or a couch potato, I have a standard life with a job and kids. It's not like I eat takeaways every day and snack all day. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried dieting many times but I find if very hard to find one that fits around family (we all eat together and no one else has a weight problem) and work. I've moderated portions but find that it can work against me (end up hungry and grazing). Admittedly I don't go out of my to go to the gym or exercise.

Does anyone else have this problem? What kind of diets are out there for people on the go?

Last edited:
Hey i like slim fast and lost two stone in 12 weeks there a forum for it on here.

You can still have evening meal with your family but calorie counting. It may shock you in to how many calories you have what I thought i could have lots of i cant may be this could be part of it? I never though i over ate but i ate too much of wrong foods. Like a mars bar has the same calories as an evening meal!

Most the thinking is taken away by have two meals as shakes and as you slowly relearn how much to eat you can replace a shake with food again !
You could also jut try calorie counting so you can have three small meals and a few small snacks in the day which keeps your body going and are an important part of dieting theres also a forum for this

Hope this helps good luck x

i know the feeling!
have you tired aspire drinks? i recently just done their 2 week challenge and have lost some weight- yay! got lots of energy from them too which is a bonus!
i just found them on facebook, search for: aspiredrink.

i found them really helpful as you can just fit them round your normal day- and i found them really tasty too!

hope this helps :) good luck x

Hi all.

Thanks for your post. Sorry for the time it's taken to reply (was online that night but no replies at the time :) )

Spent the last week on a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, noodle potshot for lunch and pretty much chicken salad every night, and still I haven't managed to shift any weight :(

No I'm not on medication Mahri.

Thanks tink. Someone else on another diet forum mentioned liquid diets like slim fast you can lose about 5lb a week which I'm thinking of doing because my OH has just sprung a surprise holiday on me (my dream holiday of all places) and now I desperatly need to lose like 2 stone in 2 months :(

Hi jadenmiller. Thats what I used to do but hear not to long ago that if can actually work again you (not sure if that's true).

Thanks for your replies though :)

I was the same. I didn't eat overly badly. I didn't excerise. Admittedly I did drink quite a bit. I realised any sort of carbs I eat immediately make me put on weight. Probably coz I wasn't burning them off.
I'm on slim and save now which I love. You can have 4 meal packs a day and you have real food like veg and the packs taste really nice. I dot even feel like I'm on a diet. I started end of may at 16.11lb and last weigh in was 14.13. So almost 2 stone in just over a month. And I feel fab. Long way still to go but it really does feel achievable.
Good luck what ever you decide x

I have been a size 10/12 for decades, but from my mid-30's on my weight just crept up and up and up. In my case there was an element of "self-medicating" with certain foods, but nothing too outrageous.
It's all personal preference and often trial and error, but I've settled with Slimming World and I'm really happy with it. I need to have "real food", just couldn't cope with food replacement approaches. But as a said before, one size doesn't fit all :) Good luck on your endeavours.

Back