Trying to lose 3 stone, really want it to work this time!

BecHahns

Hi!
I'm Rebecca, I'm a 20-yo student in my second year at UWE Bristol.
I'm studying animation, which is extremely time-consuming and sedentary - sitting at a desk all day and all night drawing the same thing over and over, only stopping to angrily go and buy chocolate is really not helping me shed those pounds! It's also messing up my sleeping which I've heard is bad for your appetite so that's proving difficult too.

I'm 5'4" used to be 10 stone and wanted to lose weight then, but I put on 2 and a half stone over the past couple of years and am really sick of it now. None of my old clothes fit me, I get upset a lot when I go on nights out and feel like the ugliest person around, and I'm sick of all the icky side-effects that come with being overweight. I always say I'm going to do more exercise or cut down, but this time I really am!

It's been working far better so far than ever before, even though I am only 5 days in. I've been using an online food diary that counts the calories for you, which has helped me stick to my target far better than I normally would, so I'm feeling positive. I also told all my flatmates I'm on a diet, which I've actually found really helpful because I feel like I have more to prove (also they keep reminding me what I can't eat, mostly to take the mickey but it's still helping me stay on track!) It's because of that that I thought I should also join a forum, because I think it would be easier not to do this alone!

My target each day is 1400 calorie intake with an extra 200 burned (been finding this difficult...) for a 2lb a week weight loss. I haven't seen any changes yet but I just bought new scales that are different to my ones at home so I could be wrong.

I've had my downs already, like tonight where I had a pint of cider that ended up being about 550 calories and it really put me off because I had gone over my target. My friends also took me into a chip shop and I seriously nearly cried because I still felt hungry but then I had a pint of water and it went away. And I didn't buy chips! Normally I would have left with like half a chicken and chips with all the sauce. So that's progress at least, lol :)

Anyway, enough rambling on, well done if you read all that! I'm looking forward to this! It's nice to meet you all and thank you in advance for any advice you have to give!
Rebecca
x

Welcome! Thats a huge step at the chip shop! Well done!

Yeah this forum is definitely the biggest help to stay on track. They're all lovely and supportive :) Good luck!

Welcome and well done for not giving in at the chippy ... never an easy place to be when dieting xx

Welcome, and massive applause for resisting the chippy :clap:

Thanks everyone, you are all so encouraging! :)

Here's my first food diary entry:

07/01/12

Breakfast - 30g Kelloggs Special K Oats n Honey with a splash of skimmed milk.

Lunch - Large jacket potato (250g raw weight) with a tin of drained tuna in brine, 1tbsp of hellman's light mayonnaise, 1 tbsp sweetcorn, mixed salad leaves on the side dressed in lemon juice.

Dinner - Another bowl of Special K and skimmed milk because I was too lazy to cook and I absolutely love them anyway...

Snacks
- Large raw carrot with a bit of low fat garlic and herb soft cheese dip, + one After Eight Mint!

Drinks - 1 mug Coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar, 2x 250ml Pepsi Max, 1 pint water

Exercise - I walked about 3 miles today, partially uphill

So not great, but I didn't feel like cooking much today. I might make curry tomorrow however. :)

you should try it, I always have tuna mayo with jacket potatoes! it's amazing.

Also, food diary for today...

08/01/12

Breakfast - woke up too late...

Lunch - 125g lean chicken breast fillet, fried in fry light spray with 1/4 red onion, 1/2 red pepper, handful of mushrooms, with low-fat spicy tomato sauce + handful of wholemeal pasta

Dinner - 2 Plain Ryvitas with 1tbsp tomato chutney, handful of salad leaves and a slice of toasted halloumi on each (I just invented this combo today and it is absolutely AMAZING.)

Snacks - Nothing really but unfortunately I forgot how much I loved halloumi and scoffed a few slices of it while I was waiting for the others to toast. I might have a banana in a while too...I was going to have a kit kat but my friend wouldn't let me, lol.

Drinks - 2x mug of coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar, 2x 250ml Pepsi Max

Exercise - walked around town for about an hour and a half...

Still not brilliant but after my major uni deadline on Tuesday I should hopefully be able to start sleeping at a normal time again and get up in time for breakfast!

Good day :)

Today was bad! :( It's supposed to be my first weigh in day but I don't seem to have lost any weight.

09/01/12

Breakfast - 30g bowl Special K Oats n Honey with skimmed milk

Lunch - Chicken breast (about 200g... too much) half an onion, half a pepper, fried in fry light spray with about 100ml bisto curry sauce and rice. I just scoffed all of this down.

Dinner - I am too full, probably won't have it. Might have a bit of fruit later.

Snacks - Thought I would reward myself for being so good all week and had a kit kat chunky caramel

Exercise - No time, uni deadline tomorrow

I don't feel good about today at all. But perhaps the stress of my looming deadline is causing this. I have been up til 8am the past 2 days.

Stress can definitely affect weight. Also if you're on your period. Don't let it get you down. Youre on the right track :)

Thanks, I'll try. In better news, my flatmates and I all got vouchers for fitness classes that were 93% off! For a whole month! So hopefully this will speed up my weight loss significantly. Also I just bought an item of clothing that was too small for me in the hopes it will eventually fit (but mostly because I literally didn't want anyone else to have it....someone tell me I am not the only person who does that lol!)

Lol. Good motivation!

Yesterday was not so great, was my deadline day so I was stressed and didn't eat much.

10/01/12

Breakfast - None

Lunch - Small salad bar salad - mixed leaves, tuna, mixed beans and a few bits of pasta with tomato sauce

Dinner - Bowl of porridge oats (probably about 50g) made up with skimmed milk. Had sugar in this...

Drinks - 500ml Pepsi Max, 1x Coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar

Exercise - Went for a 30min walk up a hill

I slept all of yesterday afternoon, then got up for about an hour, then slept all night as well. I think I should be back to normal again soon!

Animation sounds like such a cool topic to study! I did the plain old computer science when I was at uni. I'm from hereford with about (give or take) the same amount as you to loose. Would you like to buddy up with a 28 year old healthy eater who works in a school?

I've quite often wanted to return to college and do another course; perhaps a teaching qualification or a gym instructor type qualification. I dont have the confidence yet - maybe come september when I am hopefully at my goal!

12/01/12

Breakfast - 30g Special K Oats n Honey with skimmed milk

Lunch - 1 serving homemade roast pepper soup (had 3 small red peppers, half a small carton passata, 1 small leek, 3/4 pint vegetable stock and about 2tbsp olive oil, but it ended up being 3 portions and I only had 1) + 2 "lighter life" tortillas

Dinner - about 50g Special K Oats n Honey with a splash of skimmed milk

Drinks - 2x coffee with semi-skimmed milk, no sugar. 500ml Pepsi Max

Snacks - small banana, 15 cherries

Exercise - Walked about 30 mins

Someone tell me why I haven't lost any weight 11 days of eating like this? I used to eat SO much in comparison. :( And I have been under my calorie/fat target all days, even without exercise I think. i'm getting really worried, this is the best I've ever done on a diet and it hasn't made any difference at all!

I have been having trouble keeping under my carb limit, but this seems so ridiculous. All I had was one jacket potato a few days ago and that completely took up all my carbs for the day. Am I not allowed to eat anything?!

Sorry I'm just so worried and confused

Last edited:
How many calories are you getting to a day? Some people find it doesn't budge if its too low even

Maybe. Might not be that. Maybe try it? See if it makes a difference

Back