Turning my fracture into a positive

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Eternalflame, 7 June 2010 Social URL.

1. Eternalflame

Eternalflame Excited about the new me!

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Had a fall last week and my arm had been painfull and very badly bruised all week. Started to swell on Friday, so went to Hosp to check it out on Sat morn, and found out I had a very large Hematoma and Fracture :(. Never knew it!!

So.. my dilema.. I'm so independent, do everything myself, drive and have a full time job and a weekend job too. So thats me off work for at least 2 weeks, til I see Fracture Clinic.. Had to go and get my Medical Cert this morn and its a 5 km drive there and back.. so I was gonna cab it.. but then thought.. Walk.. so this has now got me thinking.

If I can walk 5 km a day,which burns 235 cals and will tone my legs, why not do other keep fit stuff too? Sit ups is possible, just can't use my arms.

So my fracture might even help me loose weight :D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    You've got to wait 2 weeks for a Fracture Clinic appointment? That's nuts! I work in a Trauma and Orthopaedic department at our local hospital and we get our patients in within a week of being seen in A+E.

Hope you aren't in any pain

4. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Hi CB, Thanks huni..pain.. yes, you could say that. Very sharp sensation, like pins and needles but painfull ones. Maybe the clinic is a busy one, with all the weekend appt's. GP gave me a medical cert this morn for 2 weeks, which will take me up til the day after the appt. But he did say, that I should be prepared for a cast or splint?? Great! Thought it would be in the clinic in 2 week's, be given all clear and back to work. Day 1 off work and I'm bored, lol.. if it wasn't for the walk earlier and this forum, I'd be climbing the walls, lol.. x

5. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Are you in any kind of cast now? Did the GP/nurse in A+E give you any pain relief? If not, try Ibuprofen as it has in an anti-inflammatory, and it can be the swelling that makes things ache. Poor you :(

6. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Hospital was Useless CB!! No pain relief, and just a sling and even that wasn't supporting it as they didn't put it on prop... I have some codeine that I use at night for it and yes, also Ibuprofen as well in the day time. Thanks for the advice huni x

7. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Get better soon EF!

8. Going2be*fab*at40

Going2be*fab*at40 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    8st13lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st1lb(-0.8%)
    Diet:
    Fabulous Slimming World
    Firstly, I do hope that your arm gets treated quickly, but, mostly importantly, good on you for keeping positive and upbeat!
    Great idea to walk - you'll find that your fitness picks up really quickly!!!
    I was stuck on the sofa for 4 weeks earlier this year as I'd sprained my cruciate ligament, so could not walk, I can honestly say that this site saved my sanity!!!!
    Take care. x

9. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    That's okay hon. Usually with fractures, we put them in a back slab, which is a half cast, but the plaster of paris is over the area of the fracture. If you feel it's not getting better before your Clinic appointment, go back to A+E. It's your arm, so there's no harm in being over cautious.

10. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Thanks CB, it's started to really ache and look lumpy now.. so will see if thats the same tomorrow and might go back up there. Do they put a cast over the lumpy bits, lol? As thats the most painful part.. a little numb feeling there too. x

11. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    That sounds like thats where the fracture is, so I would expect so. I'm not medical, of course, just work and type in that department, and tend to type the same thing every other letter, but my nephew fractured his arm last summer, and I sat in with him, asking questions. Lets face it, I'm just nosey! Ha ha!!

Don't sit there and just put up with the pain, if it really gets unbearable, go back. There's no harm.

12. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well done. I love positive and am a firm believer that one should always take the positive out of everything. Which obviously you have done.

One exercise I find easy to do and cheap is step exercises. Instead of buying a step I juust use the step from the living room into the kitchen................ no arms needed,

Sue xx

13. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Thanks CB and FM.

CB, went to tesco last night to get some cocodamol but pharmacy had shut, so had some codiene tablets here, which I used before for my hip (arthritus pain) and took those before bed. I can put up with the ache during the day, but its getting changed, and at night in bed that its so painful. So glad I have to ask about things to do with this, thanks again :) and its good to be nosey, lol.. I am too ;)x

Kind of stops you in your tracks. FM, I'll try those exercise today after I've been walking. Just want some good tummy ones to do now :)

14. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    How are you doing ??

xxxxx

15. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Hello Fillymum

Sore, but ok.. don't get seen at fracture clinic til 21st and the sling isn't giving the fracture any support. I do think if I'd had it plastered or splinted up before now, it'd be healing.. Hey ho.. thats the NHS for you :). Thanks for asking FM. x

16. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I was gonna ask how you were too. Hope you aren't in too much pain :(

17. Eternalflame

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Thanks CB. Its not so bad, just achey and sore.. More bored then anything else, lol.. Need to make sure I walk every day and that keeps me feeling good :) x

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Yeah, fresh air does do you good, never believed my parents when I was a kid, but it's true!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.