Two weeks and counting...

chunkychicken

Hi all,

I am right at the beginning of my journey. I have two weeks until my first meeting (due to start 17th April). So today I have started my low carb diet in preparation. I have hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and have been told that cutting back on the carbs is VITAL if I don't want to end up failing the diet because I cannot stay consicous! As the sudden drop in calories if I didn't do this would be too much of a shock.

Just wondering how many of you actually did this before starting and whether you felt it helped with the first "hell week" of foundation.

Any tips you could give me would be gratefully appreciated as I tried Cambridge Sole Source last year (unsupervised after buying packs of ebay) and after no preparation - and found myself coming to with ambulance people and the works looking down at me in M&S (very embarassing) and my poor terrified mother who insisted that I give it up right NOW!

You all seem so knowledgeable about VLCD - I am hoping someone can help.

Welcome chunkychicken - I can't say I'm knowledgeable but I did cut down on the carbs and drank 2.5-3 litres a day before I started and am glad I did (I don't like to suffer:D). I lost 4 lbs in the week before I started and I was in ketosis by day 2. Didn't have any bad side effects - just felt quite tired but had anticipated that so took it very easy - lots of reading! Also went to bed early (still do!). My life has been quite uneventful (even boring) for the last 3 months but it has worked for me. I find I need the peace to get my head round all the new ways of thinking.

I think you're wise to cut the carbs gradually well in advance given your past experience - I'm sure you'll be fine. Build up to drinking plenty too - then the 4 litres doesn't come as such a big shock! Good luck.

Back