under-active thyroid and weight loss

clairefatface

hi everyone, I wondered if anyone on here had been diagnosed with an under-active thyroid? I have suspected for some time that I have this problem (its in my family etc etc) and went to the docs today, and she is doing bloods on me on thursday to see if this is a problem for me...get the results a week later - so just over a week to go until i find out for sure....anyway, I digress, sorry.
But has anyone got it, and if so once you were on medicine to 'restore' it did you find it easier to lose your additional weight?? Cause my theory is, when your thyroid is functioning as it should, surely with excersize and a calorie controlled diet you should lose weight like a normal person...right??
any info really appreciated, sorry to have waffled

Hi
i got diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 11 years ago and i have struggled with my weight ever since i had my last child 12 years ago.....i dont think ive ever been on the correct dose of thyroxine and my dr has always said its just trial and error as to which does suits me and also once my thyroid is functioning normally then the weight should fall off me...well i am still waiting !!!!!! ive done every diet and exercise plan under the sun and the scales have never budged below 16 stone...i think this is why i get disheartened and it has lead me to binge eat, so for the last god knows how long ive been in this viscious circle and it was only until i did lighterlife that i broke that circle and was able to get down to 12 stone...i managed to keep it off for about 12 months but then started to creep back into my old ways, i joined the gym to tone up and lose a few more pounds but it never seemed to happen and i just feel back into the circle of binge eating...all this time i stopped taking my thyroxine as i felt it was of no benefit to me, i even had blood tests which said my thyroid was normal even tho i hadnt taken it in ages...all the time my dr was not interested and just kept saying if i eat healthily and exercised then i will lose weight, not rocket science i know but when i did that nothing ever happened...when i was at rock bottom he prescribed me xenical but i only lost about 7lbs in a month...again i got disheartened and started with the bingeing...it was only at xmas when i started pricing up gastric bands that i realised that the only way that suits me losing weight is via LL, it took me ages to pluck up the courage to get back on track and i like the fact that i can do it for a month at a time, that way there is less pressure for me, i go away in april so im just going to do it until then...i have also started to take my thyroxine again in the hope that it helps in some way and makes me feel better..

sorry for the long waffle but i havent come across anyone on here that has struggled with their thyroid...just hope you dont have the same struggles i have had with weight & thyroid and if it does come back that you do have it then i hope you are on the right dose!!!

good luck

Sarah x

Thank you sarah, not easy for you to tell me iam sure, but i really do appreciate your open and honesty..thank you. Will post on here when I eventually get the results.
I really hope LL works this time round for you, and good news on getting down to 12 stone, thats certainly something to be proud of!

Hi Clare

I have piled on the weight gradually over many years.I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 3 years ago. Have taken thyroxine ever since.
In the past year I have lost over 12stone on LL.Thyroxine levels have improved, but according to GP am still just witihn the levels to keep taking it.
No noticeable side effects. I feel well and have loads of energy. I lost weight at the same rate as others in my group.
Good luck to you. xx:wave_cry:

Back