Underactive Thyroid - Levothyroxine & Losing weight

blondie29

Morning all

This is a general question so im not sure if anyone can help me or answer but here goes......

Ive have struggled for years with my weight,ive gained 4 half stone over the last 5 years so Im very depressed with it and cannot lose weight up until now no matter what I do. I was diagnosed with a underactive thryoid a week ago and I am now taking 50mg of Levothyroxine, which I was told would help with the tiredness,dry skin,coldness and my weight ????

But I have been reading so many forums and everone has said they are gaining weight from being on the medication, so you can guess that I am distraught at the thought that I may gain weight !!!!!

has anyone got a underactive thyroid of know anyone that has? have they lost weight or gained??

I appreciate any feedback and hope everyone is doing well with there weight loss :)

Hi. I'm on levothyroxine and it doesn't make you gain weight. It doesn't help you lose that much either...well I think it does help some people but it hasn't helped me.

But don't worry it won't make things harder.

hey my friend ha started taking her meds for the first time and shes doing ww and its really helping her.duno if shes on the same as u though. if u go to the intro section and into the help:( thread, u can ask her shes lc3490 or pm her if u want to know what shes on x

I have had an under active thyroid for years. following slimming world, weight is coming off but very slowly.

Hi, i have been taking levothyroxine for past 7 yrs and would not say it made me put weight on ( that would be all the eating out and junk food!!) :eek: Maybe the fact that being so tired and when we are getting our meds at the correct level we are less active.I would say that the weight does seem a little harder to lose,but i have also had a hysterectamy and have been put on HRT .

Last edited:
Hey hun

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 5 months ago, having an underactive thyroid can cause you to gain weight but taking the meds if anything should help with your weight loss. To be honest I haven't noticed much difference whilst maintaining, weight has stayed pretty much the same.

x

I've been on it for years, but I know it was my eating/lack of exercise that got me to this weight. However, it is coming off with slimming world, just alot slower than for most people.

Hi,

I have had an underactive thyroid for 16 years now, and take thyroxine daily, in different doses depending on what the blood test says at the time..

I managed to lose 2.5 stone 5 years ago, maintained it pretty much until January 2009, then started WW, lost 3 stone (well half a pound off!), that did take a a year, so I would say you can lose weight with taking thyroxine for sure:)

It does come off slower than people with 'normal' thyroid function.. I averaged less than a pound a week and that was with walking miles and miles a day and personal training twice a week, but slowly but surely it has come off:D and I am now reaping the benefits massively.

Almost being 'forced' to exercise to get things moving, has given me a love of keeping fit and I can now happily walk 14 miles in a day, good luck with your quest in losing weight, stay focused and it WILL happen :)

Hiya, I agree with everyone elses posts so far.

I was dx when I was 17 (21 yrs ago :eek: ) and although taking the meds hasn`t helped me lost the weight - I still REALLY struggle whatever I do, It most certainly has never caused me to gain weight.

Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon Xxx

Hello,
I am 21 I have a low thyroid sines finding out iv gain about 2 stone Lovely ;) time.
The problem is is that apparently it is not that low I am only on 25 Levothroxine
But I am gaining weight along with other symptoms.
I do eat what i think is healthy stick to the brown things rice bread the fruits and veggies and on...
one doctor says im fine another says to up the dose...blah la la huff Frustration Station!
all I wont to do is lose a little weight :(
cut calories? more calories? so much out there I don't no what to do?
has any one got any advice The best Diet? supplements?
what has worked for you? is there a light??? lol
x

I am finding weight loss so much slower with my under active thyroid. Like I lost 2 kgs in 2 days a few weeks back, then gained 400gms, and that is on atkins diet and only eating 20gms of carbs a day.

I suspect my levels are out of wack again though, as I'm feeling like crap in several other areas.

Back