Unhealthy food desires anyone?

i dreamt i ate cake once and woke up in a panic. i've been desperate for it to happen again since and it hasn't :(

abz xx

Sucks doesn't it! I'm with you regards the lasagne by the way, I used to buy one of the big Tesco ones that are meant to serve two and have it with curly fries! I never did figure out why I put on weight :D:D

stop it!! you are making my mouth water. friiiiieeeeeeeeeeeees. i have such a weakness for the fried potato. and i am craving fish and chips!! am going to have to have fish and chips when i get to goal, ha.

abz xx

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god. did i ever choose the wrong time to go to the kitchen. two slender women just walked in with chips and scraps from the chippy!! how dare we have slender staff!!

although i suppose it proves that you can be slim, attractive, and still eat chips... i think they were sharing them, so that will be it.

oh god the smell is in my nooooooooooooooooooooooose.

abz xx

Eeek! Doesn't matter if they're slim - it'll still clog their arteries...
Have a little Gillian McKeith role play in your head - just pretend that you're telling them off for eating that kind of food and point out all the nasty things it'll do to them (I'll spare you the poo-prodding though!)

Am I alone in thinking about all the naughty food I would like to get my hands on when I reach target? At the moment I can't stop thinking about Hot dogs with onions, sausage and egg Mcmuffins, chinese food..... all the things that made me so overweight in the first place. I was rather hoping the desire for such foods would fade away as I have been feeling so good as I lose the weight... Any thoughts out there?

I think that if you can get your head around the emotional side of eating (what makes you want the unhealthy foods), you'll find that you are drawn to the more healthy ones.

I can honestly say that the majority of my meals are pretty healthy. I have the odd unhealthy food, but I don't consider it any more of a treat than any other food.

I don't try to do 80/20 because I would end up having to focus on food...what is good and what is bad. I prefer to focus on what makes me feel good, and knowing why I am eating it (to nourish my body, to stop me feeling hungry).

When food is not an issue, there is no 80/20. There is no deprivation. It's just there to enjoy but then get on with your life.

i really hope i can get there kd. i just think initially. to help me learn how to maintain, i may have to do something such as that to get me through without gaining. even when i reach goal food will still very much be in my thoughts until it becomes natural :)

abz xx

KD you are always so spot on, the whole good/bad food thing is largely a state of mind and can be so damaging. Maybe that's why you don't tend to see many male bingers compared with female - the larger men I know of just tend to overeat in general or drink too much beer, they don't put on weight by "treating" themselves as such. I mean look at us here across all the forums - nearly all women here to give and receive emotional support. Food is so much more associated with feelings for us ladies.

i really hope i can get there kd. i just think initially. to help me learn how to maintain, i may have to do something such as that to get me through without gaining. even when i reach goal food will still very much be in my thoughts until it becomes natural :)

abz xx

Yes, I understand. I know that it took a fair while after reaching goal to stop focusing on food.

I wonder if 80/20 is the answer though.
I remember considering doing this when I got to goal, but abandoned the idea really quick.

How would you 'measure' 20%? I know that if I ate unhealthily for 20% of the time, I could easily gain weight.

I know people who diet for 5 days, then eat normally for the weekend. They often call it 80/20, but do you want that. Dieting Mon-Friday for years. Would you be able to control your weekend food?

I also know people who SS 5 days, because they each weekend in their 20% time:(

I suppose it would be better if you could 80/20 per day, if that's what you want.

Don't think I could do it though, as I would feel obliged to eat badly for my 20%, just because it was time :eek:

i was more thinking that if i fancied a bag of crisps or something, then 20 percent of the time i would let myself have it. 20 percent of my entire intake would probably be quite a lot!!

abz xx

i must be a freak cos all i've dreamt about since starting this diet is eating a big juicy Tuna steak!!!

i've really been fancying lasagne since i read about ice moose dreaming about it. ha. and i keep thinking 'mm, lasagne' and then realising that it will be a fairly healthy option once i'm at goal weight. or it can be if i make it myself, which i would. pizza? pffft. bring on the pasta :D

abz xx

I saw a lovely looking cheesecake in the bakery on Tuesday and that's all I can think about now. I have even got to the point when I google the word 'cheesecake' and look at all of the lovely pictures of cheesecakes! Honestly, don't know what has gotten into me...

Thankfully at this time I am craving a nice healthy salad, steamed broccoli, a nice apple or orange, cottage cheese, canned tuna. Don't get me wrong I would love a nice fried chicken wing, mind I said 1 down from my usual 20 hot wings from KFC from the past, o.k maybe 3 hot wings, LOL
edi.

i walked past a greengrocers yesterday and the apples made me drool. i never used to like red apples!! but they lookes soooooooooooo yummeh!! ha.

still think about lasagne when going to sleep but it's starting to lose it's power. am going to have to think of something else. not that i've ever managed to dream about the ruddy thing yet, hee.

abz xx

Ok I managed to not give in to my cheesecake cravings and to prove to myself I could do it, I went to the bakery - stood outside the window and looked at the cheesecake for a minute or two. I was saying to myself in my head things like:

'It won't taste as good as you think it will' (something I have found with high fat foods I previously loved since doing this diet)

'How do I feel about myself now' (good - have managed to get back on track and am loosing the lbs again)

'How will I think about myself if I eat the cheesecake' (bad - falling off the wagon again and loosing control)

'How important is getting to goal to me (very - I'm so near the next stone bracket - why jepordise this)

And I drooled and drolled but slowly the desire to eat the cheesecake diminished and I walked away feeling VERY in control and VERY pleased with myself.

Only a small hurdle, but in the grand scheme of things it was a hurdle all the same :)

'How will I think about myself if I eat the cheesecake' (bad - falling off the wagon again and loosing control)

'How important is getting to goal to me (very - I'm so near the next stone bracket - why jepordise this)

And I drooled and drolled but slowly the desire to eat the cheesecake diminished and I walked away feeling VERY in control and VERY pleased with myself.

Only a small hurdle, but in the grand scheme of things it was a hurdle all the same :)

Yay! Brill! That's what it's all about. Not depriving, but deciding what you really want! Fab:cool:

Thank you KD - I really feel like that was an important thing for me to do. The realisation that I actually didn't want the cheesecake was so important to me! Normally, I would not be able to stop myself and I would have no idea why I would go and buy chocolate etc as they would leave me feeling bloated and unsatisfied. I think I have realised that I actually don't want to eat these things - unless of course I were out for dinner with friends or a special occasion whereby I can weigh up whether I actually want a desert. Rather than my usual panicked buying of sweet things and cramming them into my mouth.

I hope this is something I can carry on doing during maintenance and the rest of my life. It was hard, but I made myself go down to the bakery and stare at it - rather than avoiding the bakery which I would normally 'try' and do!

i agree - food should be enjoyed and not be branded as a treat. i have always been on ok weight (around 10 stone) and always ate well during the week and had a takeaway one day a week, did some moderate exercise. put weight on after having 2 kids and eating their leftovers and cooking them rich food. i want to go back to how i used to eat, meat and veg week nights with fruit, and a nicer meal one night a week. i think if everything is in moderation then we should be ok.

i am terrified of maintaining though and will probably be one of the people KD mentioned - ss five days a week and then eating properly at the weekends.

Back