Up days

Dr Johnson says to eat until satisfied, do not intentionally overeat, are you having trouble finding things to eat to get up to your cals or are you eating more than you need?
Alot of newbies think that in order to reach their cals they will have to eat 'junk food' but this is def not the case. We all seem drawn to low cal food but instead of thinking low cal think wholesome and healhty then its not so difficult. For example think 500 brekkie, this could be cereal and toast with fruit juice, lunch - jacket potato, tuna and mayo or soup and a wholemeal roll would be approx 500 cals , plus milk plus a treat plus your main meal will easily add up to 2000 cals, a lot of healthy foods are not necessarily low cal , hope this helps a bit x

Last edited:
I've just literally ended up eating all
The foods I don't allow mysf usually. I've had probably 2600 cals today but I'm
Getting conflicting advice. Ppl are saying they don't count their cals and that it's more the DD that count not the up days but I know I can't eat that amount every up day cos I'll
Put weight on. My recommended up day amount was 2200 and I'm way over that....do I cut back even more tomorrow? Or do
I just make sure I dont eat as much next up day? Does it matter how many cals you have on an up day?

Ok let me try and put your head at ease, as many eating plans out there as many different opinions you would get and results, everyone is different and everyone's body will react differently. You have to find what works out for you and your own circumstances. As far as I am concerned I love the guideline given for my first few weeks, I am sure i will relax novelty will wear off and I won't always manage to be this strict, heck I even expect to maybe struggle every now and then, I expect I might feel disappointed and unhappy with my results at time. But time is what I hope I have(please God!!keep me here a lot longer) to do this the right way, I am not looking for fast results or miracles, I am enjoying proper food for the first time in so long and I am allowed to have it guilt free, and I will say AMEN to that my friend!!
Find what works for you by swapping and changing and monitor your changes and the way you react, I am sure you will soon start to find your way. Enjoy it you're allowed to, go on how bloody amazing does that sound? hugs xx

Last edited:
I feel the same as you, I havent binged during my up days, but eaten highly calorific food. I think we just have to relax about it. I see up days as my learning time, trying to get the balance of food that I like with healthy food. I've dieted my whole life and I think it will take a while to get my head around it. Hope that helps!

I can eat less cals on the up days and I eat healthy normally, I've done Sw for years then just lost another stone doing calorie counting. But I'm reading that your cals need
To be high to trick your metabolism, but is there a top limit? Is there an amount that's too high? If its trial and error as no one knows that's ok, I'll just change it as and when but I'm worried about doing a week of eating too many cals or not enough cals on up days and putting on an obscene amount of weight lol. I have lost over 3 stone and only need to lose a little over a stone to get to target I really don't want to go backwards but cc was getting monotonous and I was getting bored and complacent. I'm just a bit worried as it seems like I've really eaten loads today and if I had a bad day before I would easily gain that week, I am looking for a bit of reassurance that others have eaten over 2000 cals on up days and still lost weight?

To be honest, as long as you don't go too mental every up day I think you'll be fine. I think somewhere inbetween 2000 and 2500 is the aim, if you want to track.

I can eat less cals on the up days and I eat healthy normally, I've done Sw for years then just lost another stone doing calorie counting. But I'm reading that your cals need
To be high to trick your metabolism, but is there a top limit? Is there an amount that's too high? If its trial and error as no one knows that's ok, I'll just change it as and when but I'm worried about doing a week of eating too many cals or not enough cals on up days and putting on an obscene amount of weight lol. I have lost over 3 stone and only need to lose a little over a stone to get to target I really don't want to go backwards but cc was getting monotonous and I was getting bored and complacent. I'm just a bit worried as it seems like I've really eaten loads today and if I had a bad day before I would easily gain that week, I am looking for a bit of reassurance that others have eaten over 2000 cals on up days and still lost weight?

As Monica rightly said its all very individual, personally I def eat about 3000 on my 2 weekend UPs I don't really track but I think you always sort of make a mental note , but I don't rein myself in as Juddd for me is a longterm way of eating and I have always enjoyed my weekend UPs its what makes Juddd super enjoyable for me, I get results (NSV and Scale) while still being normal enjoying my food etc without getting diet lethargy. So in short yes I personally have lost weight on all but 3 of my 13 (I have had 3 STS but never gained ) weeks on Juddd whilst regulary eating over 3000 cals on 2 of my UPs and around 2500 on weekday UPs. Since last week I have started to try and keep my UP day (weekdays) to about 1800-2000 , left my Weekend UPs unrestricted, because I am less active in the school hols.
You don't have to eat relentlessly on an UP but you need to aim for at least 2000, going by the figures the website has given you, as you are used to Sw you will be used to healthy eating , a diet similar to that would be fine on your UPs and then if you feel like a treat have one. Does this help at all x

bajoleth said:
As Monica rightly said its all very individual, personally I def eat about 3000 on my 2 weekend UPs I don't really track but I think you always sort of make a mental note , but I don't rein myself in as Juddd for me is a longterm way of eating and I have always enjoyed my weekend UPs its what makes Juddd super enjoyable for me, I get results (NSV and Scale) while still being normal enjoying my food etc without getting diet lethargy. So in short yes I personally have lost weight on all but 3 of my 13 (I have had 3 STS but never gained ) weeks on Juddd whilst regulary eating over 3000 cals on 2 of my UPs and around 2500 on weekday UPs. Since last week I have started to try and keep my UP day (weekdays) to about 1800-2000 , left my Weekend UPs unrestricted, because I am less active in the school hols.
You don't have to eat relentlessly on an UP but you need to aim for at least 2000, going by the figures the website has given you, as you are used to Sw you will be used to healthy eating , a diet similar to that would be fine on your UPs and then if you feel like a treat have one. Does this help at all x

Yes thank you. I was thinking I had already blown it last night. Strange though I woke up
Feeling slimmer this morning despite eating loads yesterday!!! Definitely going to
Make my next up day healthier though

Glad to see you happy Lou, enjoy today honey xxx

I looked at your aubergine bake on your diary and I might do the same tomorrow on my DD. sounds yummy and I love aubergines mmmm

I''m on an up day today, and I've had 1600 cals - is that too low? I will admit I didn't have dinner as I wasn't hungry, just wondering if I should have some toast now to bring up my cals? I actually found today hard!! Yesterday was easy, because I knew I had to restrict the cals.

did you go on the johnson diet website and work out what your up day and down day cals should be? my up day cals should be 2200 and down day cals 440 or something like that...most people do 500 on dd and 2000 on ud, but the key is not to go over on dd and to make sure you have all your cals on ud or your not tricking your metabolism into thinking its not starving therefore slowing down....

did you go on the johnson diet website and work out what your up day and down day cals should be? my up day cals should be 2200 and down day cals 440 or something like that...most people do 500 on dd and 2000 on ud, but the key is not to go over on dd and to make sure you have all your cals on ud or your not tricking your metabolism into thinking its not starving therefore slowing down....

yea I'm following the 500/2000 rule of thumb for now. So I need to scoff 400 cals before bed to make my metabolism do its job!

Back