Update on the Ready Meals idea. More opinions pls!

Not to pour cold water on this. Sounds like a great idea and would certainly use you if you were near me. BUT, I think there's alot more to it than you are thinking. You'd basically be operating an outside catering business from home, and based on what little I've picked up from two of my pals that do this, the restrictions and requirements are amazingly complex. It seems next to impossible to 'follow the rules' if you are using your family kitchen.
I would kill for a lunchtime-delivery version of this, but, again, the transportation of food is a sticky subject. You would need your car to be insured for business use. That aside you'll need public liablity cover and at least legal expenses cover simply cos you'll be dealing with customers.
I DO think it's a magic idea. Why not speak to a local cafe? Explain your ideas, and perhaps arrange for use of their kitchen in exchange for some kind of cut of your profits? At least then you'll be in a 'proper kitchen, and covered by thier heath & safetyand insurances?

Just a few thoughts.
xx

Not to pour cold water on this. Sounds like a great idea and would certainly use you if you were near me. BUT, I think there's alot more to it than you are thinking. You'd basically be operating an outside catering business from home, and based on what little I've picked up from two of my pals that do this, the restrictions and requirements are amazingly complex. It seems next to impossible to 'follow the rules' if you are using your family kitchen.
I would kill for a lunchtime-delivery version of this, but, again, the transportation of food is a sticky subject. You would need your car to be insured for business use. That aside you'll need public liablity cover and at least legal expenses cover simply cos you'll be dealing with customers.
I DO think it's a magic idea. Why not speak to a local cafe? Explain your ideas, and perhaps arrange for use of their kitchen in exchange for some kind of cut of your profits? At least then you'll be in a 'proper kitchen, and covered by thier heath & safetyand insurances?

Just a few thoughts.
xx

Thanks for your feedback. I have contacted the local council and they have explained everything I need. I know that I will need to be inspected by the council etc. I know I will need public liability as I already have similar cover for our kitchen installation business, same with the car insurance. I don't think I would take this on if I wasn't already self employed. It's just in the "ideas" stage at the moment and due to having a kitchen business, I am able to get additional fridges etc.

What I am most interested in finding out is if people would actually use the service.

Oh, well, yes, deffo! lol
I was thinking you'd be mad to go ino business 'blind' at the moment, but as you're alread self employed you'll know more than me anyway (I'm employed, all be it for my mothers' business! lol).
Now I REALLY wish you were here, coz I'm getting a new kitchen, bathroom and windows all fitted between now and Xmas. Scary territory when you've nay got a scooby! lol

Blimey!! I hope that it will go well for you. If you need any advice or your not sure things are being done right, give me a shout! :D

What a genius idea! I can understand the hoops etc but must be ok just within your group... I'd love to buy them! Good luck - keep us updated!
x

Blimey!! I hope that it will go well for you. If you need any advice or your not sure things are being done right, give me a shout! :D

I really, really trust the guy who is doing / arranging it all for us (I would need to, considering the SERIOUS spondoolies we are putting into this!), but I am very likely to pick your brains at some point, thank you :D

No worries. I design the kitchens. Customers buy them and then hubby fits them so I know quite a bit. Its so important to have someone you trust. I am sure it will all go fine!

I could do with this!!!
I work 12 hours a day and in waterloo and we have a canteen thats only open till 2pm so when i am doing a 7 am till 7pm shift its semi ok but when its 7pm till 7am!!! i am stuffed!!!
xx

Sounds like a great idea!!

Think from what I read elsewhere, the problem with the SW service was the cost...about £4.99 per meal, so the prices you are suggesting sound much more realistic.

Lisa x

oh, i'd love it, full of arthritis making meals difficult to make, know if i'd lost weight it would help so this idea is purrfect. please after you've moved to poole can you move to cardiff xx

unfortunalty i wouldnt buy them.
Even though i work full time and got a toddler i still find time to make my own SW meals.

Also being a fussy eater i would not want anyone else cooking for me. x

I think this is a great idea! Working full time, sometimes it's difficult to make a SW friendly meal and I end up having jacket potato every night! If this was available in my area, i'd defo give it a go.

It's a good idea and lots of people would use it but personally I enjoy cooking up my own SW meals and have never been one for ready meals so wouldn't go for something like this.

It just makes me wonder why SW have never done ready meals?

I think its a fantastic idea. However, I think you would be better to keep it away from SW and more general. If you had a menu with main ingredients and calorie/fat content listed then people could work it into their own diet easier. Putting the calorie info on would mean being very precise obviously with your weighing and measuring, I am not sure if its feasible, but just a thought. Its just I am thinking if you are focussing on lunches, you could target local offices - where you will get groups of girls all foloowing different diets etc, plus not all will be dieting at all. So if you market it as good wholesome healthy food, and list the ingrdients/cals/fat people can work it into their own diet themselves.
Personally I don't buy lunch out at all so I wouldn't make much use of it, but I reckon loads of people would. I know theres vans drive round here delivering samdwiches everyday, I am sure people would love an alternative.

Back