Use of Garlic

SpottySocks

Hi guys!! I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right forum... feel free to move if I haven't!!

I love garlic. I add it to nearly all my main meals but the only thing is... I hate preparing it!! I used to buy the bulbs and then tried the granules/salts etc. I heard a lot of people talking about 'Lazy' garlic so I have bought some of that. I heard it is free, is this true?

Also, the one Ive bought the garlic is in a white vinegar... OK stupid question time, do I need to rinse the garlic first? Would the white vinegar affect the taste of my food or is it OK?

Thanks all :)

"Very Lazy Garlic" in white wine vinegar is completely syn free - use as much of it as you like!!

Maybe warn others before speaking afterwards though ;)

Worth nothing that the paste is 1 syn per level tbsp though.

Personally, I find if it's added to a sauce or a meal, it's generally ok. You can sometimes taste it though if using large quantities. I guess it depends how much you use. Could you maybe buy a garlic press? They're usually only a couple of quid in the supermarket. I find garlic generally very easy to prepare this way and much prefer the flavour to the lazy garlic.

I bought the lazy garlic and chilli. Love them! Just drain off any excess liquid and it shouldn't affect the taste of your food.

I use garlic rarely, so I get the frozen garlic in little cubes, like a small ice-cube tray. Tesco used to do them, now I think only Sainsburys have them. They do ginger and chilli as well.

I'd also agree about the garlic press- but I hate peeling garlic cloves! Best thing I got is a garlic press By 'pampered chef' which you can use without peeling the garlic clove 1st and it realky works.
pampered chef is one of those organised party companies and you buy from a local rep at one of those parties. They are available on eBay and online too though :)

I'd also agree about the garlic press- but I hate peeling garlic cloves! Best thing I got is a garlic press By 'pampered chef' which you can use without peeling the garlic clove 1st and it realky works.
pampered chef is one of those organised party companies and you buy from a local rep at one of those parties. They are available on eBay and online too though :)

Thank you all :) Leanne this is exactly what I hate about garlic cloves, the peeling. Yuk! Doesn't matter how much I scrub my hands my fingers stink of garlic for ages after lol! I will definitely look into buying one of these... thank you. :)

I tend to chop the very ends off my garlic cloves with a veg knife and then squash it with the side of the knife. This tend to break the clove slightly and makes it easier to just lift the skin off - no peeling required and lovely normal smelling hands!!

I pop it into my garlic press after that. I always notice that Jamie Oliver on his TV shows never peels his cloves either before pressing them! xx

I tend to chop the very ends off my garlic cloves with a veg knife and then squash it with the side of the knife. This tend to break the clove slightly and makes it easier to just lift the skin off - no peeling required and lovely normal smelling hands!!

I pop it into my garlic press after that. I always notice that Jamie Oliver on his TV shows never peels his cloves either before pressing them! xx
That's another good idea.

Edit: As a sidenote - how long do cloves last?

Back