1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g extra lean beef mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F
In a large bowl, combine the dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.
Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.
Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

I had it today topped with some hot salsa (no sugar added), a spoon of low fat refried beans, and a salad of Tomkin tomatoes (my current fave from Asda), cucumber, finely shredded carrot, cabbage and red onion, red and yellow pepper slices, and some sliced jalapinos.

Delicious.

Lucky7 said:
Fake-away donna meat feast

I used to make this when I was on Slimming World

Ingredients (for 4 servings)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g extra lean beef mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F
In a large bowl, combine the dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.
Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.
Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

I had it today topped with some hot salsa (no sugar added), a spoon of low fat refried beans, and a salad of Tomkin tomatoes (my current fave from Asda), cucumber, finely shredded carrot, cabbage and red onion, red and yellow pepper slices, and some sliced jalapinos.

Delicious.

Oooohhh sounds lovely .. Might have to give this a go x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Had this yesterday out of the latest Good Food mag, very yummy and you can pretend you're on holiday! Plenty of scope to cut the calories down a bit if you wanted to (reduce the oil, use lowfat feta etc).

Greek beans with seared lamb

(serves 4)
437 calories per serving as written

500g lamb fillet or lean lamb steaks
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
small bunch dill, most chopped
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
500ml chicken stock
2 x 400g tins gigante or butter beans, drained
2 tbsp crumbled feta

Rub the lamb with 1/2 tbsp of the oil and 1 garlic clove. Set aside while you prepare the beans, or for up to 2 hours if you have time.

Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the onion and remaining 2 cloves garlic and season with salt and pepper. Fry for 8 minutes until soft. Add the tomato puree, chopped dill, vinegar, stock and beans. Season, and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.

Meanwhile, heat a frying pan until hot. Sear lamb on all sides, for about 5 minutes in total (or until cooked to your liking). Let rest covered with foil for 5 minutes, then thickly slice. Serve the lamb with the beans, scattered with feta and the remaining dill.

Just found (and tried) a breakfast recipe. I added a few flaked almonds to the mix, and used 1 large cooking apple and 1 peach that was going spare and needed using. I think it'd be good with all kinds of fruit. I tried a small bowl for my evening snack (very small) and it was delicious. Can't wait til breakfast time tomorrow!! I reckon this'll be good to take to work and warm through in winter for my afternoon snack when school finishes and before meetings begin so that I've got energy for my exercise class just before 6 as well.

Apple and Cottage Cheese Bake (2 -3 servings)
1-2 chopped apples
1/2 cup fat free plain cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup jumbo oats
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/3 cup sweetener

Mix it all together and bake in a dish that means the mix is about an inch or so deep (so you get more crunchy bits)
Bake at about 180 degrees for half an hour.

Had a small (side dish) portion of brown rice risotto tonight, which turned out much better than previous attempts where we've eaten really late because it took so long to cook.

I found a tip for cooking it without needing to stand over the stove for almost an hour to get it to the edible stage. Soak your brown risotto rice in cold water for half an hour or so, then boil it in plenty of plain water for 15 minutes. Drain, and it will then take about as long to cook in your risotto recipe as 'normal' risotto rice.

At the risk of sounding evangelical, I've just discovered a new type of wheat-free bread. I don't know where exactly on the GI scale it would fall but since it's made of chickpea flour and coconut oil I reckon it should be reasonably good. 1/4 of the bread is quite a filling serving so if you want it as a smaller side dish you could cut it into 1/8ths instead for 85 calories per piece.

Socca

makes 4 servings at about 170 calories per serving

Preheat oven to 220C. Mix together:

1 cup gram (chickpea) flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt

When the oven is hot, put 3 tbsp coconut oil into the bottom of a round 23cm/9 inch pan and place in the oven to melt the oil for 4-5 minutes.

When the oil is melted and hot, pour in the batter. Now you can bake it for 30 minutes, flip it, and bake for another 5 minutes, or bake for 30 minutes and then put under the grill to brown the top.

Depending on whether you like a softer texture you can add more water to make it thicker, or bake at a lower oven temperature (200C) for a bit longer, or for a shorter amount of time at the higher temperature. The timings/quantities given will result in a soft middle and crispy/chewy edges. A bigger pan will result in a thinner/crispier bread.

This is really versatile, you can add spices to it (savoury and also things like cinnamon), you can eat it as bread or as a pizza base, you can have it for breakfast with almond butter and fruit slices on top. You can (apparently) also cook the batter into thin pancakes (like crepes) or in a waffle iron. I haven't tried these last two yet but I fully intend to!

Plumfoodie said:
At the risk of sounding evangelical, I've just discovered a new type of wheat-free bread. I don't know where exactly on the GI scale it would fall but since it's made of chickpea flour and coconut oil I reckon it should be reasonably good. 1/4 of the bread is quite a filling serving so if you want it as a smaller side dish you could cut it into 1/8ths instead for 85 calories per piece.

Socca

makes 4 servings at about 170 calories per serving

Preheat oven to 220C. Mix together:

1 cup gram (chickpea) flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt

When the oven is hot, put 3 tbsp coconut oil into the bottom of a round 23cm/9 inch pan and place in the oven to melt the oil for 4-5 minutes.

When the oil is melted and hot, pour in the batter. Now you can bake it for 30 minutes, flip it, and bake for another 5 minutes, or bake for 30 minutes and then put under the grill to brown the top.

Depending on whether you like a softer texture you can add more water to make it thicker, or bake at a lower oven temperature (200C) for a bit longer, or for a shorter amount of time at the higher temperature. The timings/quantities given will result in a soft middle and crispy/chewy edges. A bigger pan will result in a thinner/crispier bread.

This is really versatile, you can add spices to it (savoury and also things like cinnamon), you can eat it as bread or as a pizza base, you can have it for breakfast with almond butter and fruit slices on top. You can (apparently) also cook the batter into thin pancakes (like crepes) or in a waffle iron. I haven't tried these last two yet but I fully intend to!

Oooohhh wow I'm going to try me some of that ..!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've been looking for a pizza base recipe, might give that a go tomorrow, thanks! Similar to the gram flatbreads on here somewhere, and they're great so I bet this will be too.

Back