Using Syns advice needed...

Miss_Corset

Target? Bring it on!
Hi all,

I'm on Week 2 of my SW journey. Really enjoying it so far - it's really changing the way I choose food which should really help with maintaining my loss in the long term.

Anyway, because I've been 'dieting', I've been limiting my Syns to under 5 most days, because I already feel like I'm eating loads! That went out the window a little bit when I got through 24 Syns worth in wine and gin on Saturday night at a birthday party - but that definitely won't be a regular occurrence! I think it's one of those mental blocks that when you're trying to lose weight you really limit your treats. I've been having the odd pink wafer and bag of Fridge Raiders but other than that, I've been sticking to free and super free.

I've read a few posts on the site where people get bigger losses by using up more of their Syns so I was wondering people's recommendations on how many I should have each day?

The plan is to lose 2 stone (4lbs off in week 1) over the next 16 weeks (18 weeks in total) which means I only need 1.5lbs per week, but obviously if I can lose it quicker (but sensibly, of course!), then that would be amazing!

Words of wisdom welcome!

Thanks
Sarah x

Dreading my weigh in tonight not been for 2 weeks so bit scared. We are similar weights with a similar goal. Got to get my arse into gear !

I think missing a week would be really hard! I'm doing SW online at home so I've got no excuse not to jump on the scales in the bathroom. Problem with that is that I'm tempted to get on the scales every morning and I drive myself a bit mad! lol.

You've done incredibly well in your first few months! Congratulations! I'm really hoping I can get down to my target weight by holiday. I'm still getting my head 'round being able to eat so much and still lose weight! Bearing in mind the only other diet I've ever done seriously is SlimFast, SW is just so different! It's amazing being able to eat so much yumminess and yet lose pounds. Can't believe I haven't discovered it before!

Good luck tonight! Let me know how you get on :)

At the beginning it's definitely recommended to have the higher end of the syn allowance. That way you won't feel deprived and end up going off the rails and also as you get closer to target you will have something that you can reduce.

Remember syns don't have to be chocolate or booze you can use them on loads of things, extra slice of bread with dinner, cooking with olive oil, tomato ketchup, smoothies. I use 10 a day but I average them out over the week, the only reason I do it this way is I find in the week I hardly use any but at weekends I like to have a few more extras.

Good luck with your goals!

Thanks Wegle. Good advice to not just think of them as 'treats' too! Planning to make a casserole on Friday so extra bread to dunk in that will be yummy :)

When I was getting closer to target I started reducing my syns to 5 -10 a day, I maintained 3 weeks in a row, I started thinking of reducing them to 5 (getting slightly upset as I thought OH no, what if when I get to target I can't have a lion bar or something without gaining weight) but my consultant suggested having at least 10 a day, and having 2 HEA's if doing red or green (as I was only having one) I was terrified that week but lost weight. Apparently I'm quite active even when I'm not doing my routine exercise, but just walking about to school and work ect. so need to keep my syns up. I can't explain it myself but its what works for me, all I can say is try a week with more syns and see how it effects your losses

I think missing a week would be really hard! I'm doing SW online at home so I've got no excuse not to jump on the scales in the bathroom. Problem with that is that I'm tempted to get on the scales every morning and I drive myself a bit mad! lol.

You've done incredibly well in your first few months! Congratulations! I'm really hoping I can get down to my target weight by holiday. I'm still getting my head 'round being able to eat so much and still lose weight! Bearing in mind the only other diet I've ever done seriously is SlimFast, SW is just so different! It's amazing being able to eat so much yumminess and yet lose pounds. Can't believe I haven't discovered it before!

Good luck tonight! Let me know how you get on :)

Yep I think missins last week will defiantely have a negative effect tonight when I get on the scales. I was nt too well but will have to just wait and see tonight and hope for a sts at best. and get straight back on the wagon.

I find this too, i stick to things i know are free i.e yoghurt and fruit instead of using my syns, as i too feel like im eating enough already to the point where it doesnt feel like a diet. i did weight watchers before sw as found that to be restrictive and i guess thats why i feel like i need to limit my syns! x

That's exactly it, Kelz! I'm thinking that it's early days for us both though and that one day soon it will just 'click' and feel more natural! x

yeah im hoping so! im sure it will, things like this take the mind time to adjust to i guess! :)

Try using at least 10, don't go for the full 15 if you don't want to, but try upping them to 10-15 and you might find you lose a bit more. I tend to use between 12-15 a day.

I've been doing SW for 13 weeks now I think. In my first couple of weeks I did limit my syns, but have found that since I've increased to 10-12 a day, I am still losing roughly the same (for me, it's usually between 2.5 - 3.5 lbs a week)

I tend to use my syns more in main meals, instead of on snacks. Maybe that's an option? At least when you get closer to target, you can then reduce the number of syns each day!

Good luck with your journey!

Aww Shelly! As you haven't been well and missed a week though, that's still good!

Hang in there, lovely, we'll both get there :)

Back