Utilising Syns

ChrisPoole

Majorly Motivated Mofo
I currently don't really use my Syns. It's weird but I try to get through a day without using any if I can. Does anyone know if Syns are actually an integral part to losing the weight? The only reason I ask is because I don't know if I should be making more of an effort to have my syns or not.

Yes they are an integral part of the plan and included to make sure you do not feel deprived as thats when you are most likely to fall off the wagon. SW say you should have a minimum of 5 syns a day. Okay you are okay with having no or very few syns at the moment but is that sustainable long-term - can you see yourself doing the same for the rest of your life? its true when they say that a little of what you fancy does you good lol. It doesn't have to be junk type foods either, you can add them to your meals or even a glass of orange juice will do the trick. What do you enjoy?

I completely agree, it's definitely essential to have a few syns every day, for all the reasons everyone else has said - and, as PatchworkPuss said, it's not hard to do, just 250ml of orange/ apple juice, or a level tbsp of butter stirred into your dinner, or a small glass of wine, or a small bag of walkers baked - the list goes on and on - would get you to 5 or 6, for example, so I'm sure you could find something you'd really enjoy and would easily slot into your life.

Another reason it's important, is that you don't confuse your body into thinking it should be in starvation mode, which is when you start storing fat, and that's when you stop losing weight, of course.

If you can get away with just 5 a day, that's great, but, it will become harder and harder to lose weight as you get closer to your target, so if you're only have 0 to 5 at the moment, that doesn't leave you anywhere to go, so definitely worth trying to find some way of having a few syns a day.

Lucky you, though, I'd love to be able to "forced" to find some naughty things to eat!

Good luck :)

When I did SW a few years ago, I had 15 syns a day and lost a couple of pounds every week, of course I had a strenuous job then! Now I average 70 over a week and it's not far off that despite being limited with a painful hip. This plan is all about what you CAN have, not trying to cut things out.It's a hard concept to get your head round if you've been used to counting calories/starving?depriving yourself. Why do you feel the need to not have any syns during the day?

totally agree with whats been said above. If you dont want to use them on treats, then maybe use them to vary what you eat during the day. For example, a muller light greek style yogurt is 0.5syn, and a delicious change from the regular free yogurts, they feel more like a treat imo.
Or you could have an extra slice of bread, or some full fat dressing on your salad, some dried fruit, some nuts, a bit extra cheese etc. Just to make your meals and snacks a bit more interesting. You wont get any extra losses by not using the syns, and you are far more likely to get fed up of eating only free food.

You are doing so well, if you follow the plan to the letter, you can ensure that you will keep it up!!!

I've just read through what all of you have wrote and it has been very helpful. First of all thanks for taking the time to help me out and secondly pretty much all of what you have all said has made a lot of sense to me.

I'm not sure why I feel the need not to eat Syns at the moment, I think it is possibly down to the amount of exercise I've been doing. I've been exercising so hard that I think in my head I'm worried eating syns will counteract all the effort I've put in. But as you have all said this won't be the case and if anything the treats will help me.

One thing I've noticed is that ever since I joined SW I've developed a craving for chocolate... this is something I never had a problem with before! lol. Anyone else developed any unusual cravings?

I agree with everyone else, they're definitely an important part of the plan. If we didn't eat them we would hardly get any fat into our diet, which is an important part of a healthy diet! If you don't want chocolate/crisps/alcohol the usual suspects, then have healthy syns like use a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in cooking instead of fry lite, extra cheese, a extra slice of bread, whatever you want! They don't have to go on junk food :) as a 6ft man, I would definitely be having all of my 15 syns.

You don't look like a 6ft man to me Rochelle ;) haha.

Theres no way id not eat my syns!! lolHave them and enjoy them :)

If your exercising you def need your syns.... I've actually been told when I'm at the peak of my exercise (I'm marathon training) then I need to have more like 15-20 syns otherwise I struggle to loose (the past couple of weeks I haven't tried this as I've brought my miles right down, but bringing them back up to at least 20 a week again so might try it out in a few weeks time. (Have brothers Birthday and a half marathon next week so I'll be having loads of syns anyway lol)

Haha I know Rochelle, just thought I'd tease you a little :p.

So you will all be happy to know I treated myself to a snickers bar after work today!! I feel like such a bad ass. haha ;)

So you will all be happy to know I treated myself to a snickers bar after work today!! I feel like such a bad ass. haha ;)

Ha, I know, isn't it funny how different a bar of chocolate makes you feel now. Bad ass indeed! And I'm about to have 1 scoop of hagan daz and will no doubt feel like the Queen of Sheba it'll feel so luxurious!

Sorry I'm a bit late to jump in here but I've just read all the previous posts, yes, obviously like everyone else has said they're an important part of the plan but I reckon also they sort of teach us when to stop and how to control the 'bad' things that were more than likely in our previous diets, which then basically set us up for life by teaching us that it's okay to have a bit of what we fancy, it's all about moderation :)

edit: and I completely understand where your coming from because when I started SW (for a good few months) I tried to have as fewer syns as possible, but one day that'll make you crash and burn and probably result in a binge (talking from personal experience here) which will make you feel more guilty, than treating your self to a small amount regularly whilst staying on plan.

Last edited:
Back