varying your diet....why?

I have been a Yo Yo dieter all my adult life - I'd lose a bit of weight, get bored, put it on again - and the cycle would start all over again.

But since doing the SW diet, I change my plans around every day every week, and I have steadily lost 4½ stones already - and I have not got bored - so being able to change my plans all the time, keeps me and my body focused on losing weight.

That's the best of SW, with all the plans, no two days have to be the same (unless you want them to be) and so - no boredom = WEIGHT LOST!!!.......

well i tried dragonfruit a couple of weeks ago and it was ok not my fav fruit but i love trying new foods and new fruit. if i bring home recipes the first thing my oh says is 'has it got weetabix in' he thinks that 'we' use weetabix to pad everythign out lol

during busier weeks i have definately been guilty of this sort of meal repetition. I know I shouldn't and eventually get round to correcting it

I can - hand on heart - say that I do have seemingly repetitive weeks - at least monday to thursday - as i have my stock meals that I can prepare in 30minutes or less - if i've had a late night at work. But i'm not at the point of if it's tuesday it must be chicken tonight (which i have done before).

Friday/Saturday/Sunday though is always varied and sometimes experimental. As well as that - in the past - it wouldn't just be chicken on tuesday - but steamed leek, carrots, new pots (HeB) and beans. Now it may also include brocoli, aspargus, mushrooms (they steam very well), or even all the above. I've also just started experimenting with celeriac as I feel i sometimes have far too many potatoes in my diet. (5 meals a week typical have some kind of potato in them - be it steamed new pots, mash, jacket, or sw chips).

That is the key to variety in my opinion - changing things around every so often and adding something new in. I didn't start eating brocoli till about 6months ago. I'm even considering trying cabbage sometime soon - just in case my tastes have changed. And now keep looking at sweet potatoe as an alternative to spuds too.

Mainly as jerrice has said - it staves off the boredom factor.

I first did SW 7 years ago and i could tell by what i had for dinner what day it was - sunday was bolognese (without the spaghetti), monday was reheated blogonese, tuesday was steak, wednesday salmon, and so on. Boredom did get the better of me it has to be said on more then one occassion near the end. (I also in the 5 or 6 months i did it then only had about two green days (there was no EE then)).

Now days - I'll mix things up from time ot time - introduce a new food item into the regular diet (as well as removing something else if unncessary) or just changing the proportions around a bit. I've recent stopped having brocolli as one of the dinnertime veg - but am tonight giong to try celeriac for the first time. It's only been the last 6 months or so I've discovered I like asparagus, and i had a parsnip in my last batch of soup - a vegetable i've always in the past said i didn't like.

But even on the thnigs like fruit - i like change from time to time - i'm a big fan of pineapple - but will every so often go without for a few weeks - just to let the body accept the changes. I've started eating a lot of pears - so need to look at changing that sometime soon and eat something new. and again - i've also discovered lately that i actually like raw/cooked tomato - something i've always avoided. Still learning abotu that as sometimes i still don't like it.

Give your tastebuds a new adventure from time to time whilst varying the diet - the risk of boredom deminishes - and you never know - may find something you like. :)

I take on board everything you say about boredom, but I am quite a plain eater so I'm not very adventurous but what I really want to know is there any reason why eating the same things will actually STOP the weight loss. So long as you doing the plan correctly I can't see why it should. When I did SW 10 years ago I lost 3.5 stone and ate a lot of the same foods each day, but I must admit when I did it the last time about 3 years ago the weight loss was a lot slower, perhaps that is down to age :( I am hoping that I do okay this time.

if eating the same things in the same quantities - day in/day out - then the body can get used to seeing the same set of nutrients, amount of calories, etc, and learns to cope with that amount. by varying foods from time to time means the body has to relearn and doesn't become complacient and then has to work different to digest/store/process the new quantities of nutrients, etc.

Eating similiar foods all the time won't necessarily stop the weightloss - but can contribute to it being slower. I'm typically a red/green day person - but more red then green over the week (i can't/won't do red/green/red/green/red) - sometimes by swapping to a predominantly green week - i have known to have large losses (unfortunately doing the same the following week hasn't had the same large losses - i guess as the body got used to seeing all the extra veg/quorn rather then the meat and veg it'd get on a red day).

Back