Vege-Gel (instead of mix a mousse)

Bunnyg

Determined
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used the Vege-Gel instead of Mix a Mousse or gelatine? I can't stand the thought of gelatine, so have bought the Vege Gel, but now need some help as I don't know what to do! Hoping one of you might have done it!

SuperCook Vege-Gel

Vege-Gel.jpg

SuperCook Vege-Gel is a vegetarian setting agent for use in a wide variety of sweet and savoury recipes - soufflés, jellies, mousses, cheesecakes, terrines, flans and pies.

It is an excellent vegetarian alternative to Gelatine but it's usage is slightly different therefore it cannot be directly substituted and it may be necessary to adapt your recipe. Detailed instructions are given on the pack.

For best results substitute low fat alternatives for some of the high fat ingredients in your recipes e.g. fromage frais in place of cream.
Vege -Gel is packed in individual sachets to keep the product fresh for each use.

Each 25g pack contains 4 sachets - each sachet is sufficient to set one pint.

Got that from the website of supercook vege gel...

Thanks Mini, yes that's the one I have bought. I have read the packaging, but I am just not sure if I make it up as instructed, but add the gel plus the shake to water and go from there - I just don't wanna waste a pack of gel or of CD

If each sachet is enough for a pint, then it's the same as normal gelatine.

Mix HALF a sachet up with boiling water, then make up to 150ml with freezing cold water.
Mix in your shake, blend, blend some more, and when it's definitely all blended then put it in the fridge/freezer until it sets.

Though if, like me, you're impatient, you can swill some ice cubes round in it until it starts to thicken - then it doesn't take as long in the fridge. :D

Thanks Jennikay - it says on the pack it's an alternative to gelatine and not a substitute and so it's made differently. I have just had an attempt at it, putting the mixed up shake with the vege gel first, added to cold water, mixed like mad then had to boil it in a pan. Now leaving it to set for an hour, so we'll see. I really hope it works!! x

Is that how it tells you to do it on the vege gel packet? :confused:

Sounds like a lot of effort, haha.

Just wanted to say, when i was on cambridge diet i used vege gel but only for jellies not with the sachets. I mixed cold water, vegegel sachet and water flavouring with a drop of colouring and then boiled, poured into little containers and let it set. They were a godsend.

Hi there - looking forward to hearing how these experiments work out, because vegetarian setting agents are sooooo much more expensive than gelatine!

Just remember, ladies, that boiling your CD sachets or tetrapaks is a v bad idea - ruins the nutrients and the texture, so you may have to experiment further. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone - well, it didn't really turn out like a mousse, more like a blancmange! Was ok though.

I did wonder about boiling it, but then I thought, it's different to microwaving and about the same as making it with hot water, which a lot of people do, so figured as it should be ok?

Just wanted to say, when i was on cambridge diet i used vege gel but only for jellies not with the sachets. I mixed cold water, vegegel sachet and water flavouring with a drop of colouring and then boiled, poured into little containers and let it set. They were a godsend.

Thanks Toothfairy - I think I will give these a go - I don't have food colouring, but I'll try it without and if it's too off putting, will buy some colouring! x

I did wonder about boiling it, but then I thought, it's different to microwaving and about the same as making it with hot water, which a lot of people do, so figured as it should be ok?

Hot water is fine, but boiling water isn't.

My method for making the drinks or soups is to put about 80 ml of water (fridge-cold for cold drinks, room temp for hot drinks or soups) into a tall, thin jug or mug, blend in the powder, then top up with water (either fridge-cold, or just off the boil*) and whisk until it's the way I like it - so a little whisking for non-frothy soups, or a lot of whisking for fluffy hot or cold drinks.

*Don't forget you need to use boiling water for the Tomato Soup, otherwise it will split or curdle.

Back