Vegetables - how do you cook yours?

Kankles

Silver Member
I'm not a huge fan of veg and I'm in desperate need of some new ideas.

I like the usual veg like cauliflower, brocolli, cabbage, green beans, only trouble is I only like them with gravy!

I've been having mushrooms, onions, butternut squash as my 1/3 superfree but I need to start switching it a bit as I'm getting a bit tired of the same things.

Can someone give me some ideas? X

Btw I'm willing to try new veg and new ways of cooking, spicing, roasting or anything!! X

I like red onions, corgettes, peppers, mushrooms & cherry tomatoes roastedwith garlic & fry light. You could always try adding herbs & spices too. This mix is nice added to an ainsley harriot cous cous pack to give you 1/3 superfree & make a yummy lunch.

I like sw chips cooked with Schwartz perfect shake piri piri or Cajun seasoning on them.

Also been steaming a lot of veg recently, and roasting those chanternay (sp?) carrots after par-boiling them. Yummy!! X

I like stir fry, in fact I'm having it tomorrow!!

I struggle with things like SW kfc chicken & chips, I don't want salad with it because I eat a lot of salad for lunches, so what else could I try with it?

Things like fish & chips etc I'll have a mix of cauli, carrots & broccoli and occasionally Brussels sprouts. All usually frozen & blitzed in the microwave.

I like stir fry, in fact I'm having it tomorrow!!

I struggle with things like SW kfc chicken & chips, I don't want salad with it because I eat a lot of salad for lunches, so what else could I try with it?

you could make a vegetable and lentil chilli to serve alongside of it, kind of like a barbecued beans (but spicy) and full of superfree veggies.

this one on my blog, would go well with the chicken and homemade chips. Just use butternut squash instead of the sweet potato (which I have done many a time for this recipe) to make sure you have plenty of superfree in it. It makes quite a big portion too, so you can freeze some to have at hand for other days.

Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

roasted vegetables is another favourite of mine (carrots, red onion, fresh beetroot, peppers and tomatoes), you can use various veggies really and if you have a HEa spare, crumble in a HEa serving of feta once cooked. Delicious!!!

then you can also make a quick vegetable bake, just put some frozen veggies in a oven proof dish, cover with a little stock and top with a HEa serving of cheddar and bake in the oven. So quick too!!

Cheesy Vegetable Bake | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

It really is about making your vegetables interesting, especially if you find it hard to include them in the first place.

I also make my own pasta sauce with heaps of added superfree veggies, another great way to get in your superfree.

Vegetable patties is a favorite here too, my son loves them and with some kids being so fussy with eating vegetables, it is a great way to get them into his meals without him noticing ;)

you could also make a side like a rice pilaf with heaps of superfree veggies added, which would go great with many dishes.

The list is endless really. I could go on all night with suggestions.

Last edited:
I make a pasta with peppers, chilli flakes, oregano, bay leaf, garlic, mushrooms, onions, green beans and any other veg you want to include, I boil the veg in a little water till soft, add tomato puree, and a knorr chicken stock cube. Add a tin of tomatoes and simmer. I then cook a chicken breast (George Foreman) and add to the sauce serve with lashings of pasta. Its delicious!
Hope this will help you experiment with your vegetables :)

I'm quite good with my veggies now considering that I hated them all except .... actually I just hated them all :rotflmao: Anyway, I now eat and enjoy the majority of veggies except sprouts which are the devils food and celery which is just an abomination .... one thing I do wonder about though is when people roast veggies (which is something I have never done), how long roughly do you roast for and roughly at what heat? I have no clue!

OzzieMoz said:
I'm quite good with my veggies now considering that I hated them all except .... actually I just hated them all :rotflmao: Anyway, I now eat and enjoy the majority of veggies except sprouts which are the devils food and celery which is just an abomination .... one thing I do wonder about though is when people roast veggies (which is something I have never done), how long roughly do you roast for and roughly at what heat? I have no clue!

For roasted carrots/parsnips I par boil so not till they are soft- they are still crunchy. Drain the water, let the water evapourate before I put them in the oven at 200 for around 30 mins, but alter the time if they need longer/less for your oven. They roast beautifully with fry light.

For peppers, courgette, red onion, mushrooms and cherry toms it's 200 again for 30 mins but put them in raw.

If i make a curry, the sauce is typically made out of chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock, ginger and then spices. I know its mainly superfree but i still feel like I should be eating more veg! so, I cut up a cauliflower into florets, spray with fry-lite and top with Salt, pepper and cumin seeds. Chuck in the oven for 20 - 30 mins on 200 and done.
Totally delish and so simple, i guess you could have it with anything!

Veggies

I stuff a low fat wrap with lettuce, grated carrot, alfalfa sprouts and a bit of some cheese or other, as well as a bit of mustard or whatever other sauce takes your fancy. Then on the side I have sugarnap peas, pomodorino or cherry tomatoes, baby sweetcorn, spicy or pickled beetroot, or whatever other pickles you like. A good roast veg recipe was in the March/April SW mag, I adapt it to whatever I fancy - basically butternut squash, carrots, onions and parsnips with a drizzle of white wine vinegar on, roast for 40min, then add a mix of garlic, lemon juice/zest and parsley for the last 10 min. (Chuck in whatever meat you like at the beginning). Also I've been making a lot of syn free spicy hummous out of chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, jalapenos and cumin powder and eating it on snap peas, baby sweetcorn, sticks made out of carrot and cucumber etc. I think it's all in the flavour you add to stuff. Lots of veg is nice raw if you add some flavour. Last night I made a mix of fat free yoghurt, mint sauce and lemon juice and smothered my salad in it, lovely! It's when it's just vegetables on their own that it's boring and depressing, you need some flavour in there. Even if it's a bit of HP on your sprouts or whatever! Also stuff like homemade coleslaw and potato salad. There's some interesting oriental coleslaws if you google them. Oh another one was a spicy greens recipe in a BBC Good Food mag - sizzle 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds for 1 min. Add 1 or 2 finely chopped chillies (deseeded if you don't like it too hot), a bit of grated ginger and 1/2 tsp turmeric then chuck in whatever greens take your fancy - cabbage, sprouts, broccoli or a mix or whatever. Cover and cook until soft enough. Then toss in juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp ground coriander and serve. I serve this with curries or BBQs or whatever. Also roasted parsnips or sweet potatoes, you can add Cajun spices or whatever to give them a bit of a kick. I just raid all the online recipe sites for ideas!!!

I usually do mine in the pressure cooker. My mums with us a lot and like most 'oldies' she moans about veg being hard so I have always overcooked them. But I tend to put my own in the microwave for 5-10 mins covered. And they're just right for me :)

Theres always briam the Greek dish you just put layers of veg on top of each other in a roasting tin, potatoes, onion, aubergine, courgettes, carrots salt and pepper, you can spray top and bottom with fry light then cover with foil, Its lovely like that, creates its own juice but if you want more juice you can add sliced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. You can add lean pork chops or chicken breast skin off and then uncover near the end of cooking to brown.

Back