Vegetables - which do you eat

We have a deep fat fryer Sukie, I just cut them into chips, make sure they are very dry and then dump them in the pan. Usual chip rules apply.

Also, after 6 weeks hard work in the garden we're now eating home-grown courgettes! Yum.

What other veggies are you growing out there IB? I am about to get some seeds and start some seedlings off.

How's it going now on Atkins for you?

I think I may have mentioned this already Sarah but Swiss chard is dead easy to grow and delicious as well. You need a big space for it though as it grows very big and fast.

I think I may have mentioned this already Sarah but Swiss chard is dead easy to grow and delicious as well. You need a big space for it though as it grows very big and fast.

Thanks Jim, going to get some swiss chard seeds. Going to try mixed salad leaves (you can get mixed seeds), french beans, peppers, rocquet and some herbs I think. Going to grow in containers so that I can contain it and make weeding a bit easier. Really excited about trying it.

Going to grow in containers

You'll need a dustbin for the chard love, and I'm not kidding!

Last year I had to keep giving some away to my kids and family as it was producing way more each week than I could eat.

Hmmm, maybe I will give that a miss then Jim! Although my family would all be very grateful for free veggies.

What other veggies are you growing out there IB? I am about to get some seeds and start some seedlings off.

How's it going now on Atkins for you?

We planted tomatoes, cucumber, , lettuce, spring onion, celery, courgettes, parsley. Spring onion and celery haven't worked at all, we think it was the wrong time of year to plant them. Lettuce hasn't worked either, no idea why. Courgettes and cucumber are growing like weeds. Tomato plant is huge but no sign of tomatoes yet. We basically planted things that aren't reliably available in the shops here. Though cucumbers are everywhere at the moment, they must be in season. We wanted to plant aubergine as you can't find them anywhere here this year but we can't get the seeds. I guess they're just not popular locally. Bit demotived with Atkins at the mo, but I reckon it's just PMT. My mood should pick up in a few days. The last 2 days here have been just too hot to move, it's making me and baby grumpy. Paddling pool out this afternoon I reckon, should cool us both off! You're still doing really well I see! x

Ah hopefully it's just the heat demotivating you. It's not good when it's really hot. It's really cold here today, so not sure which is better.

Shame some of the veggies didn't take. Maybe one of us could post you a packet of aubergine seeds.

Yes still doing well thanks. I am so focused as I so want to feel good about myself and I have given up too many times before. I am looking forward to going fully Atkins.

Shame some of the veggies didn't take. Maybe one of us could post you a packet of aubergine seeds.

Thanks - I reckon I can buy some in Cape Town when I go for my operation in April. Who knows what else I'll buy when I'm there!! We get a cubic metre baggage allowance each on the ship and so that's 2 whole cubic metres of stuff I can buy and not pay shipping on!! That's a lot of boxes....:D Will have to pay import duty though..:(

Thanks - I reckon I can buy some in Cape Town when I go for my operation in April. Who knows what else I'll buy when I'm there!! We get a cubic metre baggage allowance each on the ship and so that's 2 whole cubic metres of stuff I can buy and not pay shipping on!! That's a lot of boxes....:D Will have to pay import duty though..:(

Is the import duty high? I guess it's still cheaper than buying it in the UK isn't it? Hope you can get well stocked up when you go over to SA!

Is the import duty high? I guess it's still cheaper than buying it in the UK isn't it? Hope you can get well stocked up when you go over to SA!

Varies from 5-35% depending on what you buy. But it's added on to whatever you buy in the shops here anyway. And 2 cubic metres of shipping is about £500 so I'm not letting it go to waste! I need to start a list of what to buy. Baby needs the next stage of toys and clothes. I want sandals. Maybe some handy low-carb things - fancy seeds and nuts etc. Oh, my credit card will MELT!!!

That's a lot of Tax IB.

That is a lot of tax. It must be so strange having to plan your shopping like that. Just goes to show how we take things for granted when we live within minutes of everything we could possibly want!

Bumped for Tanje.

I eat pretty much everything on the stickie list,

Thanks Sarah. Reason I asked is I tend to have the same stuff because I know it works then I get bored and do something silly. I want to avoid that.

Still have an insane craving for lettuce so will have loads of that this week.

am feeling yuck today so it must be ketosis kicking in :D

But Tange the list of induction veggies is huge!

Yep I have a wide variety like Jim. I go to the market each week and buy what takes my fancy. I find doing different things with them helps also. Check out the list on the stickie also Tange.

I know Jim, I just go into a panic when I see carbs in anything. I know its completely ridiculous, I can calorie count I should now just do the same with carbs.
Am doing my menu for next week today so will add some yummy broccoli,cauli and cabbage.

I pretty much know everything I can eat now, but in the early days I used to take the induction veggie list with me.

Back