Vegetarian curry

Moonstruck_Morning

Can anyone recommend a good SW friendly veggie curry recipe? I'm doing curry night for some friends next week and I want to stick to all SW friendly dishes. I've got a nice chicken curry recipe but need a veggie option.

If you try doing a search over in the recipe section I;m sure you will find lots to choose from. I like sweet potato and spinach or chickpeas.

There is a nice creamy quorn curry recipe in one of the old SW mags. I'm not veggie but have this quite often, nice & spicey green day meal!!!

Moonstruck_Morning said:
Can anyone recommend a good SW friendly veggie curry recipe? I'm doing curry night for some friends next week and I want to stick to all SW friendly dishes. I've got a nice chicken curry recipe but need a veggie option.

I make a delicious Sweet Potato curry and it's syn free. It's on My Wise Main Meal Recipes on the recipe thread

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

This is a favourite of mine Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Curry | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes, I have the basics of it in my head and tend to chuck in whatever I've got available at the time i.e. I'll also add in fennel and chickpeas. I don't eat it with rice, and easily get 4 good size portions out of it to take to work for lunch. It's good and filling!

You can also use pataks curry pastes too but they can be between 1.5 and 3 syns per level tablespoon so just depends how willing you are to use syns in your meals rather than on snacks etc.

Other good veg for curries are cauliflower and potato!

lentil dahl is a good one!

In a pan add a large chopped onion and 4 cloves of garlic, add a splash of water and simmer the onion and garlic together until they soften and become alsost sticky. check the water constantly as you dont want it to burn. just add enough to mositen and cook it, dont make it swimming either!

when its cooked, add teaspoon coriander seeds (crushed) and a teaspoon of cumin seeds crushed. cook for a few minutes more

add the grated ginger (about a spoon full grated) plus a chopped green chilli and cook for a minute.

add the lentils (500g) and enough water to cover it all (aprox 500ml ish)
on a low heat cook for 45 mins to an hour, keep stirring and dont let it stick to the bottom of the pan as it can do easily, add splashes of water if needed to make it less gloopy or dry.

when cooked add a chopped red chilli and tons of coriander (fresh) its delish!!

I did this one this week. I doubled all the spices, garlic etc and then added a bit more GM at the end. Also cooked it with the lid on and reduced it a bit at the end. Was not bad at all for a quickie, its not restaurant stylee but it was easy. I think its the sprinkle of lime juice over at the end that kicks it off. (Didnt make the raita)

I used just 1 tsp of oil to cook the cumin seeds in and used the sugar too, so 3 syns for the lot. Served 2 with a bit left over.

6666131915_495938cd32_o.jpg

Not even sure where I got this recipe from so apologies if I stole it from anyone here;

Chicken Jalfrezi

4 chicken breasts or 1 bag of quorn
1tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled, finely sliced
1 red and 1 yellow pepper finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp med curry powder
1/2 tsp mild or med chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
can chopped tomatoes (400g)
large handful chopped coriander leaves
salt and black pepper to season

On a medium heat stir fry cumin seeds 1-2mins. Then add onion, garlic, peppers and ginger and fry for 6-8min. Add curry powder, chilli powder, cumin and coriander, season well fry for 1-2mins. Add chicken increase heat to high 4-5mins, stir in tomatoes and fresh coriander, add 100ml water (I would only add about 25-50ml, remember you can always add more), cover and reduce heat to low, cook for about 15mins or until chicken is tender.

I like to be very generous with the coriander as it makes a huge difference and I make it more with quorn then I do chicken.
xx

Back