Green Day Vegetarian Slow cooker recipes

ok, so first use of slow cooker went well. worked great, think the recipe needs some tweaking was good just needed some more flavour and well something! but was good

001-20.jpg

Spicey mixed bean chilli with cornbread topping ( not in photo - as i only had 30g of polenta so just had to make that bit up, but was ok)

I used
1 can mixed beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1tsp each of cumin, chilli, paprika
1/2tsp mixed herbs
450g mixed veg ( i had potatoes, carrots, parsnips)
stockcube
tin tomatoes
salt an pepper

soften onion and garlic in frying pan and then add the spices.
then put all ingredients in to slow cooker and add some boiling water to just cover,
i then left it on high for 4 hrs

The topping should be ( according to the book)
250g polenta
2 tbsp self raising flour
1 1/2 baking powder
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
300ml milk

now i only had 30g polenta!!
so mixed that with 1 tbsp flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 egg.

you then put the mix in 'blobs' over the veggies an cook for 45mins or until firm.

That looks lovely Honey! Very healthy :)

I know what you mean about a dish sometimes needing something and you can't put your finger on it. My motto is: If in doubt, throw some reggae reggae sauce in it LOL

How about some sweetcorn so you are eating the spicey chilli then you hit a little sweet kernel? I bet you it tastes more flavoursome today now that the flavours have had time to meld (assuming you haven't eaten it all)

Almost any vegetables can be put in the slow cooker with the addition of a good stock the outcome is excellent. My tip would be to use sweet potato in your recipe as it is high in fibre and the cooking process will not destroy it's qualities as much as boiling does. Steaming potatoes and veg is allways my preferred option. The slow cooker is an excellent choice in methods of cooking especially if you are thinking ahead to tea time or for freezing. If you do cook vegetables in your slow cooker i would recommend you use a good quality low fat stock, the best i have found that is in supermarkets is the Kalo organic veg stock, it's low in fat and it's got a lot more flavour than other comparible stock cubes ive found. A hand or worktop blender is a must if you are a soup lover because most of the veg casserole recipes can be turned into soup the addition of lentals is a must in my book.

Quick Honey! We've caught a chef. Bolt the door!

Hmmm...I have some sweet potatoes. The thing I find tricky with the slow cooker is knowing how much liquid to add as there is no evaporation yet I am scared if I add too little I will burn the house down.

Thanks for dropping in Nigel :)

Hi, I don't know your model but the one we have absorbs the evaperation, meaning that the amount of liquid increases during the cooking. I as a rule would suggest that the liquid is up to at least 3/4 of the volume. Heat on high till it starts to simmer then leave on low heat for the remainder of your recipe time. Hope this helps.:D

Today I made something edible! :happy036:

Slow Cooked Jerky Quorn
Serves 3 @ 1 syn each

6 frozen quorn fillets
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1cm chunks)
1 red pepper
Handful of frozen sweetcorn niblets
Tin of kidney beans
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons of Reggae Reggae jerk sauce (3 syns)

Method: Bung in the slow cooker.

Verdict: I would use more Reggae sauce next time as I like it hotter. I cooked it for 3 hours on high then turned it to low for the last hour. The quorn did not dry out, but melted in the mouth - which was nice - but it lost a bit of its texture. Served it with brown rice.

4iyi5h.jpg

Well I have just bunged aload of things into my slow cooker & am keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome!

I have thrown in:
Onion
Carrots
Celery
Mushrooms
Green Lentils
Tin chopped Tomatoes
Stock
(I have put some sliced bacon as my HEb - but obviously this can be left out to make it suitable for vegeratians)
Little bit of thyme & Pepper for seasoning

It is smelling good, so fingers crossed it works. I will let you know later is its a sucess or not :)

Wow silly sausage that dish looks lovely I shall give it a whirl myself soon. The slow cooker is a chamber of flavour bung lots of root veg into it along with the meat of your choice and maybe a hint of chilli powder for a slight kick to knock out the cobwebs........delicious!!!

Cheers Nigel. I thought the slow cooker would intensify the flavour so was a bit mean with the jerk sauce. Will know better next time. I prefer it when it blows my head off.

Good luck Gettingthinner... with your meal. Please report back and remember to give it an exotic name!

I am looking forward to trying Gobolino's North African Curry at the weekend. I got the ras el-hanout spice blend in Sainsburys yesterday. It was £2.50 for a wee bag. It seems dear, but when you consider what you would spend on a greasy, syn-filled curry delivered by the curry shop, it is an absolute bargain!!

Good luck Gettingthinner... with your meal. Please report back and remember to give it an exotic name!

Whoooooooo woooooooooo!! It was yummy yum!!!

Really really enjoyed it as did hubby :D

So for my exotic name, well how's...........Slow cooked Bacon o lentil o Casserolie o :D lol

Really worth a go, I served it with chilli roasted potatoes (maybe the chilli gave it a nice kick in itself too) & steamed broccoli - I will definatly be making it again!

Just found this in the internet, not tried it but thought it might be worth a go. Need to find out the syn values of the tinned soup first though.

Potato Casserole

This is my daughter's favourite food, the other four think its great too.
It is easy, nutritious and economical, and it looks lovely. It’s very child friendly, as even small kids can eat it themselves.

This will serve 4 people (more if you are feeding young kids.)
  • 1 1/2lbs (750g) potatoes (or potatoes and sweet potatoes), peeled and chopped into small pieces.
  • 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into small pieces
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 or 3 sticks celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 large tin sweetcorn, drained
  • 1 tin condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup (for a vegetarian meal, use cream of mushroom soup)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • small pinch nutmeg
Put all the ingredients except the sweetcorn into a slow cooker and mix well.
Cook on low for around 8 hours.
About an hour before the end of cooking, stir in the sweetcorn.
Serve with green vegetables for a complete meal.

Well just been shopping, remembered the soup, but forgot the flippin sweet pots & parsnips :( I will nip into my local store when next in the village & hopefully get this one made soon!

I will let you know how it goes :)

Tonight is slow cooker invention night...........
so have put in the pot
BNS
sweet potato
swede
parsnip
carrots
red and white onion
tin chick peas
tin cherry tomatoes
garlic
ground cumin
ground corriander
ground ginger
cinnamon
paprika
veg stock cube
water
salt and pepper

I have cubed all the veg
sliced the onions and softened in a pan with the garlic.
added the spices and stock and some water and tipped it all in to the pan with tomatoes and chick peas
topped up with some more water and left on high for the afternoon........................

Will come back with the results later!

Will come back with the results later!

Don't forget to name your invention! It looks lovely already.

I am going to pop Gobolino's curry in tonight so that the flavours will have ages to meld before Friday night. Second day curries are always better I think.

By the way, Honey, I put some lemon curd and broken meringue into Greek yoghurt last night and it was heavenly!!! :drool:

Well it was a success :)
Now for a name............................. *honey's vegetable Tagine..... not very imaginative i know

004-11.jpg

005-10.jpg

Back