Green Day Vegetarian Slow cooker recipes

Verdict on the soup - FAIL

OMG it looked like old pond water and smelled of wet ciggies :confused:

Better luck tomorrow - making quorn dhal....yum!

oh dear. well the book i got not so good actually on further investigation, some nice things, but they all need tending to during cooking, not what i wanted. The idea was to leave it all day, no tending!!

To be fair, my recipe required a REAL fennel bulb and blue stilton LOL

I know what you mean Honey. And some of these recipes require a lot of pre-cooking before it goes in the machine. I am not a morning person :eek:

I have a lovely slow cooker recipe book and I have a recipe to share with you all, its a North African chickpea curry. Will try to post the recipe tonight -it is very nice indeedy! In fact I might even cook this again this weekend :)

In the slimming mag this week they have a vegetable curry that I think could quite easily be put in the slow cooker on low during the day, let me know if you would like me to post it, I will check back :)

Gobolino and Mel - that would be great thanks :)

The quorn dhal looks like baby food with chunks in it. It is not a very spicy taste, not as nice as the tinned stuff anyway! :( I wont bother posting the rubbish recipe - not unless someone has an army of hungry babies.

I am going to liven the dinner up by oven roasting a couple of HUGE mushrooms with a dash of Nando's peri-peri marinade :D

Ooh, i am very interested in this thread as I too got a £7 ASDA slow cooker and do green days!
I was thinking of getting the book you got Sausage, do you recommend it? I can cope with minimal preparation, but want to leave things cooking all day when I am at work, so don't want to be needing to add different ingredients every hour!

I got the Hamlyn 200 Slow cooker recipes and made a soup and a sweet potato curry a fortnight ago - both were OK, but the trouble is that you look forward to it all day, thinking of it bubbling away at home, and then it never quite met my expectations...

was thinking maybe a veggie stew would work, i'd maybe add quorn, but just think that might become much if left to cook for too long. Had the idea about setting it up with a timer plug, so bung it all in the slow cooker in the morning, but the power actually only turns on say 3hrs before you want to eat.

Have got one recipe i am going to try saturday, as i can put it on at lunch and leave it while i teach again for 3 hrs, then pop back, add the next bit then go and ride, and it *should* then be done.
Think i need to have a *play* with it, and do some experimentation....lol ( with a standby dinner ready incase its YUK!)

Hi PrawnchopSuey

So far, I would not recommend this book. I have made ciggie soup and baby vom. Maybe it is my cooking! LOL Quite a lot of the book is puddings and jams too. I will plod on and let you know if I find anything exciting.

Best dinner by a mile has to be the Moroccan stew posted on this thread. Even better on the second day. Great depth of flavour..and free on green! No faffing about either.

Ciggie soup and baby vom, mmmm, gour-met!
To be honest honey, I did the initial frying off on an evening, bunged it in the slow cooker, but didn't put it on to start cooking until the next morning. I can't bear the thought of frying onions at 7am and smelling all cooking-y for the rest of the day! That's probably a bit gross to leave food out all night, but hey, I've never food poisoned myself yet :)

I couldnt find my slow cooker book last night, so I'm going to have another look tonight and hopefully post a couple of recipes on the weekend :) I'm sure we can get something that will work out nice (no baby vom or ciggie soup!)

I am playing it safe today with a veggie version of speedy bangers and beans from the comfort foods booklet.

I guess it wont be very "speedy" in the slow cooker :crazy: but it means I can just leave it on low without having to stir it (How lazy am I?? LOL)

Will put some chopped up cooked sausages in it later.

Here you go! This is from the ultimate slow cooker cookbook (Cara Hobday)

North African Chickpea Curry (serves 6)

3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, 4 carrots, 4 garlic cloves (all chopped)
2 green chillis, deseeded and sliced
4 tsp ras el-hanout spice blend
500ml veg stock
3 400g cans chickpeas
grated zest and segmented flesh of 1 lemon
150g ready to eat dried apricots
1/2 tsp tumeric
3 large toms, 25g corriander (both roughly chopped)

Heat oil over a high heat in large frying pan and cook onions, carrots, garlic and chilli (10mins).
Add spice blend, fry 2mins. Add remaining ingredients except corriander and bring to simmer.
Transfer to slow cooker (4 hours on high/8 hours on low)
Serve with corriander stirred through.

Above is the actual recipe. I used olive oil and changed the quantities of oil and ready to eat apricots so that the recipe worked out at 5 HB's for the whole cooker full, I then made the recipe serve 5 rather than 6, just so it was easier to say it was a HB choice that way. I think I used 3x70g apricots and 2xtablespoon of olive oil last time.

I served mine with brown rice and it was lush :)

Last edited:
You're welcome silly sausage. I hope it turns out nice. I like playing with the quantities to get the best deal, so tomorrow when I make it I'll be adding an extra can of chickpeas and then I can make it enough for 6 servings at a cost of 1 HB (3tsbp oil, 3 HB's worth of apricots 210g). Will add some details about the spic blend above :)

I know fry light works well for alot of things but to be honest I didnt use it for this and just counted as healthy extra and seeing as it only worked out 1HB per serving I felt fine with that.

Possibly you may need to stir more often using frylight, but thats only me guessing and quite possibly all would go fine with frylight. You'd have to give it a whirl ! :)

Well i have put stuff in my slow cooker for the 1st time just now, to cook while i go back to teach. Will give you the verdict later!

Back