Veggie/vegan recipes

SPICY LENTIL LOAF - FREE ON GREEN
the veg I had in the fridge - you could use any you have or add some Chickpeas - leave out the chilli and add herbs instead - add some cheese if you want (but don't forget the syns etc).

300gms cooked green or brown lentils
1 onion - chopped
1 stock cube - 1tsp chopped garlic - 1tsp chopped ginger
1tsp each of - cumin - coriander - garam masala and chilli to taste
1 small cubed cooked sweet potato - handful of frozen peas
Half can of baked beans or use any cooked beans
3 eggs - beaten
Handful of chopped fresh coriander
salt and pepper

METHOD (mine!!) Oven Gas 5/180c
Put the onion, stock cube, ginger and garlic in a micro proof dish along with a little water and cook until the onion is soft - about 5 mins, check the water. When it is cooked cook off any excess water or you could do it in a pan the conventional way with spray oil.
In a large bowl put the lentils, veg, onion mix, chopped coriander and spices in a bowl and mix together then add the beaten eggs and mix again.

Spray a loaf tin with Frylight then put the mix into it.

Put into pre-heated oven and cook for about 25 mins - press the top to check if it is cooked - I find it takes longer than this so cover the top with foil and cook until it is set.

Nice hot or cold.

Last edited:
SPICY BEAN AND LENTIL LOAF (sorry but I do like spicy) an old recipe from Food.com

• 1 teaspoons olive oil - or you can use spray oil - 2 syns
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
    • 14 ounces kidney beans, canned - or chickpeas
    • 14 ounces lentils, canned
    • 1 egg
    • 1 carrot, coarsely grated
    • cheddar cheese, finely grated - use own amount - maybe 3 HEX A same as bread so easy to work out when slicing.
    • 1 cup breadcrumbs - this is approx 150gms so 3 HEX B
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 tablespoon ketchup - 1 syns
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180C Lightly grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf tin.
  2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic & celery and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
  3. Rince and drain the beans and lentils. Place in a food processor with the onion mixture and egg and process until smooth - leaving some whole if you prefer.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and level the surface. Bake for about 1 hour, then remove from the pan and cut into slices to serve.
  6. Can be eaten hot or cold.

So mine would be 3 HEX A - 3 HEX B - 3 SYNS - divided by number of slices.

Last edited:
Bumping the thread back up!

This was exactly what I needed, just started SW as a vegan :D

Did find this recipe the other day on the SW website (altered a little):

Beany Sausages

half tin of kidney beans
3 spring onions
one medium carrot grated
soy sauce/balsamic vinegar to taste
herbs and spices, whatever you fancy!

Pre heat oven 200 C/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with with greaseproof paper.

1. Smush the beans either with a fork or blitz in a food processor

2. Finely chop the spring onions and add that to beans. Mix well then add the grated carrot. Mix again.

3. Season to taste with free dressings and seasons.

4. With wet hands, take a scoop of the mix, squash it into a sausage or burger shape, whatever's easier. The mix might be a bit loose but don't fret.

5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, depending on how enthusiastic your oven is!

Serve up and enjoy! :D I think they're rather pretty, I'd definitely make them again :)

Does anyone have a solution to SW vegan cakes?

Bron

Love you recipe for beany sausages will definitely be giving them a try :)
As for cakes, I don't bake often when I do I use "No Egg" egg replacer or "The Vegg". No egg is good for binding and the Vegg gives an eggy taste, there are recipes online using both. I've seen recipes where people have replaced egg with banana and unsweetened apple sauce.

That's a really good idea, Tace, I'd forgotten about bananas! If I use enough banana could potentially cut out fat too - I've seen apple sauce and banana used as fat replacers in the past too, it's all coming back to me... ;)

If anyone got this month's magazine, the Shoestring Fries is a good alternative to SW's regular fries :) Just cut very thin and do the usual!

Bron

My solution to vegan SW cakes - dont bother. Save it for a special occasion and eat the proper thing. Mind you I hate bananas and artificial sweeteners so no point me even trying. Plus I've made cakes for weddings etc so I know what the real thing should taste like ;) not done any baking for myself since starting SW, and I daren't!!

I am pescetarian ie I eat a little fish but I have Crohns disease and a lot if the time I am meant to eat lacto or dairy free.

This is a dip I adapted yesterday

It is vegan
Sun free

And I bet it can be used as a dressing for pasta or salad or on a baked potato as it can be runny

Tin of chickpeas drained
Jar or roasted red peppers in brine drained
Carton of silken tofu

All whizzed together with a hand blender the seasonings I used were

Lemon juice
Smoked paprika
Chilli powder
Salt

I want to try it with garlic but we didn't have any but I reckon it would then taste more like hoummus

Add water for a runnier dip

This is what I made for our tea tonight. Both my hubby and I eat a lot of dal type dishes and we both agree that this is by far our favorite one. The original recipe was in a lovely book called The Indian Vegan Kitchen, More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes by Madhu Gadia. It's a really lovely book but I have adapted this so that it is SW friendly. I always use the pressure cooker method.

Chole, Blackened Spicy Chickpeas
MAKES: 8 servings
SERVING SIZE: ½ cup
1½ cups dry chickpeas
5 cups water, divided
1¼ teaspoons salt
2 teabags or 2 teaspoons tea leaves (any type
of black tea)
Stock for frying.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
¾ cup onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons green chiles, chopped, or ½
teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
Juice of a lemon
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1½ teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, for garnish
¼ cup red onion, sliced, for garnish
4 to 6 tomato slices, for garnish
1. Rinse chickpeas in 2 to 3 changes of water. Soak beans in at least 3 inches
of water, for 6 hours or longer. Drain the soaking water.
2. (For best results, prepare in a pressure cooker. To cook in a skillet, see
Note below.) In a pressure cooker, place chickpeas, 4 cups of water, and salt.
Bring to a boil. After 3 to 4 minutes, skim off the foam with a large slotted
spoon and discard. Cover with a pressure cooker lid and put the pressure
weight in place. Cook on medium-high heat until the pressure develops. Reduce
heat to medium and cook under pressure for about 17 minutes. Cool the cooker
until all the pressure is removed. Open the lid carefully. Check beans for
tenderness. The chickpeas should easily mash with a spoon against the side of
the pan. As you stir the chickpeas, some of them will fall apart (that is how
soft you want them).
3. In the meantime, in a separate pan or a microwave-safe bowl, bring 1 cup
water to a boil. Add teabags and let steep for about 10 minutes. Squeeze and
discard the tea bags. Set aside.
4. Heat stock in a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and
cook for a few seconds until golden brown. Add onion and fry 2 to 3 minutes
until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, ginger, and green
chiles, and cook for a few seconds.
5. Add the cooked chickpeas and stir. Add tea water, lemon juice, coriander, and
garam masala. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20
minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add more water, to avoid
sticking to the bottom. The finished product should be like a thick stew. It
will thicken as it cools.
6. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced
onions, and tomato rings.
NOTE: To cook in a skillet: Combine soaked, drained chickpeas, 6 cups water,
and salt. Add ¼ teaspoon baking soda. Skim off the foam after 3 to 4 minutes
with a large slotted spoon and discard. Reduce heat to a low boil and simmer
for 40 to 50 minutes, until beans are very tender. The chickpeas should be
slightly split and mash easily with a spoon against the side of the pan. As
you stir the chickpeas, some of them will fall apart (that is how soft you
want them). Continue to follow steps 3 to 6.

Has anyone bought the latest SW magazine? There's an amazing - like, AMAZING!! - recipe for Veggie Campfire Casserole. I'm making it for a second time and I'm debating buying more of the ingredients and making it a third time because it is pretty special!

I substitute the Quorn saussies for Linda McCartney's Red Onion and Thyme ones (which are free on Green unlike the main LMC ones.)

Also, I adapted the Chilli Con Carnie recipe in the same magazine, used soy mince instead of beef mince and veg stock instead of meat stock. Best chilli I've ever eaten!!

Ha! Quick plug for this month's mag there ;) It is a good one for vegans this month, and with a bit of nuance most can be adapted easily, I think.

Bron

I noticed that and the new cookbook, family feasts on a budget which a bought mostly for the OH has quite a few veggie/vegan recipes and a lot can be easily converted. I must say I'm impressed :)

Love you recipe for beany sausages will definitely be giving them a try :)
As for cakes, I don't bake often when I do I use "No Egg" egg replacer or "The Vegg". No egg is good for binding and the Vegg gives an eggy taste, there are recipes online using both. I've seen recipes where people have replaced egg with banana and unsweetened apple sauce.

Just remember to syn the bananas or apple sauce if you use them. I think bananas are 5 syns when mashed not sure how many for the apple sauce but definitely synned.

Denise

Just remember to syn the bananas or apple sauce if you use them. I think bananas are 5 syns when mashed not sure how many for the apple sauce but definitely synned.

Denise
Pureed apple is 2.5 syns per 100g, so if you made it yourself without sugar it's not too bad. Bananas mashed are 4 syns for a small one, 5 syns for a medium one and 5.5 for a large one

Veggie Campfire Casserole.

Has anyone bought the latest SW magazine? There's an amazing - like, AMAZING!! - recipe for Veggie Campfire Casserole. I'm making it for a second time and I'm debating buying more of the ingredients and making it a third time because it is pretty special!

I substitute the Quorn saussies for Linda McCartney's Red Onion and Thyme ones (which are free on Green unlike the main LMC ones.)

Also, I adapted the Chilli Con Carnie recipe in the same magazine, used soy mince instead of beef mince and veg stock instead of meat stock. Best chilli I've ever eaten!!

Ha! Quick plug for this month's mag there ;) It is a good one for vegans this month, and with a bit of nuance most can be adapted easily, I think.

Bron

I tried the Veggie Campfire Casserole and loved it but I can't find magazine anywhere and just can't remember recipe and can't find it on SW website. Could anyone post the recipe so I can make it again? Thanks so much!

Back