Venlafaxine/Olanzapine and Slimming World

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by ariescat, 9 January 2014.

1. ariescat

ariescat Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I was wondering if there was anyone on the forums that has experience slimming while talking either (or both) of these drugs. I know that they can both cause weight gain (and I certainly did when I started taking them), but I am hoping to slim down on Slimming World.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! xx
  2. krupskaya

krupskaya Well-Known Member

Hi Ariescat, I'm on olanzapine and duloxetine (v similar to venlafaxine). I found the latter didn't affect my weight at all, but the olanzapine was a totally different story! When I started it made me feel ravenous all the time. It was just awful and I put on masses. I've been on it for a few years now and after a few months that side effect definitely wears off - now I am completely unaffected by it. Good luck with the weight loss - it can be done!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using mobile app
  3. krupskaya

Sorry, I didn't answer your other question. I lost almost 4 stone while taking both medications - but not sticking to plan once I'd reached target meant I put quite a lot back on. That's not the fault of the meds though. I've lost 15lbs since xmas so they're obviously not affecting my weight loss!
  4. ariescat

ariescat Well-Known Member

Krupskaya, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question - it's heartening that you've managed to lose weight while on the meds! All the very best for your continued weight loss xx
  5. Skinny minx

Skinny minx New Member

Hi I am taking 225mg of Venlafaxine and 5mg Olanzapine and joined Slimming world January 2013. Ihave lost nearly 3 stone and have found my weight loss slow and have to be very strict. I was on SW a few years ago and lost much quicker, it is definitely the Olanzapine slowing things up! Have only one stone to lose to target, which I hope will be soon. May I ask what dose you are taking? Good luck with your weight loss.
  6. krupskaya

I'm taking 20mg Olanzapine and 90mg Duloxetine.