Very ill after laxatives!

LaydeeBug

Sorry for the nature of this thread. :eek: I have not experienced "toilet problems" until this week really ( just gone into week 12).
But I was feelng a bit "bunged up", so my LLC advised Dulcolax.

I bought some last night and took 2 before bed. This morning, I had the most excruciating stomach pains, so ran to the bathroom.
Of course, the laxtatives worked,but I aso started feeling very nauseas and dizzy ( whilst still on the loo!). I was very hot and I really felt odd, so when I got up to wash my hands and face, I leant against the sink, and then I passed out!
I was really scared when i came around as i was alone at home. My dog was sitting beside me licking my face, but other than that, I wonder how long I would have laid there?

This doesn't seem at all normal to me, and I have felt sick all day. I have had 2 marigold drinks and lots of water, but no packs as yet.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks in advance.

I've used Dulcolax and found even one to have a 'dynamite' type effect. I think it could just be your system reacting to the Dulcolax. If you think about it, imagine your bowels all blocked up, and then the drugs working their magic - that's a lot going on in your body.

I'm clearly no doctor but I suffered from some very dodgy side effects of the Dulcolax so I shouldn't be too worried about it - just one at a time in the future should do the trick.

Thanks Wooster.
Yes, I think I should have tried just the one ~ I honestly didn't think just one would work as I felt so full!
Am relieved to hear they are strong and that its not just me who is getting super weak.

Thanks again. :)

Hi Lady,
Blimey, that must have been a bit scary when there was no-one at home - glad to hear your lovely pooch was there to keep an eye on you;)
I've only ever taken 1 at a time and that has had varying results from a rather natural experience to the excruciating pains you describe but never passed out or felt faint.
Take care of yourself & maybe check what the pharmacist advises next time

yoyo
xx

I remember the first time I took Dulcolax and it was recommended to take one then about 16 hours later I came on here and asked whether it was okay to take a second as nothing seemed to be happening...the advice I received at the time was to wait and not to risk taking a second one!

I decided to go with the advice and boy was I glad I did as it was very explosive and I dread to think what two tablets would of been like:eek:

I think I know now after reading your experience:eek:

I see CD don't recommend Ducolax anymore because of this...

Love Mini xxx

May I suggest you try Dulcoease for a couple of days first next time? It's a stool softener rather than a wham bam thank you whoops!

Oh, that is terrible for you, I always find laxatives are a bit too over the top for me.

I found out tonight (LLC gave me a leaflet) there is a new tub they are bringing out, looks just like the water flavours, to add fibre to your diet, it could be just what you need. It just dissolves in water and you can add it to packs too. Will be £9 for a tub.

Hi Laydee
i didn't realise form your september post that the reaction had been so bad - how are you now?
I have not used anything yet (touch wood) but I will certainly be steering clear of duloclax!!
Hope you are feeling better soon, that must have terrifying at home on your own, your doggy would have looked fter you though!

Take care
Milli x

What about trying Psyillium Husks? You can sprinkle in the shakes and it makes them thicker, or take them in tablet form. A lot more gentle way of getting things moving!

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Ali, yes I had heard they might be bringing out a fibre tub to put in soups etc. Let's hope it comes out before I get another bunged up episode!

Mini ~ wish I had known that. It was pretty awful.
And thanks FT, I will check out the stool softening brand. That was all I really wanted in the fist place, so I took the advice from my LLC. Clearly too strong for me! ( And others by the sounds of it!).

Milli, Yoyo, yes my lil pooch is always there, bless her! I felt really bad as she must have wondered what I was doing on the bathroom floor!

I feel ok now thanks Milli ~ I had my first pack at about 6.30pm. I had felt just awful all day. I've had 2 packs now, so will have to mix 2 together before bed. But I think the water I have put back in during the day plus 2 x Marigold drinks, and now 2 packs is helping a lot.

I felt very weak ~ and we had to cancel our trip to the Christkindel Xmas german markets in Leeds. :(
Hopefully tomorrow or Friday instead. Thank you again all, you are very supportive. xx :)

Oooh, poor you :( Ducolax isn't recommended on VLCDs because they are just too strong.

I advise fibresure or psyllium husks each day to prevent constipation, but if it still happens, stop the fibresure or PH, and use sennakot (sp), or glycerine suppositories (or both). That usually does it. Many counsellors recommend movicol which is also good.

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Ali, yes I had heard they might be bringing out a fibre tub to put in soups etc. Let's hope it comes out before I get another bunged up episode!

Supposed to be next week I believe :fingerscrossed:

Great news then Ali. :)

KD and wooster, thanks so much for the tips ~ have never heardof the Psyllium thing or other possibilities. I've never had cause to use laxatives before so it was quite a shock!

I think after today I may give it a rest before trying something else ~ but cannot understand why my LLC recommended something so strong when there are other brands to try. :confused:

Thanks again. xx :)

Laydeebug, I didn't need to use anything whilst in abstinence but I did take dulcolax years ago and my god I was in agony!

As or the fainting, you poor thing. I did faint twice whilst in abstinence after very hot baths and on one particular occasion it was very scary so I sympathise with you on that.

Look after yourself. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Kat xx

Laydee, so sorry to hear this upsetting news that you have been unwell. I luckily never needed any kind of laxative whilst on abstinence, infact I was a bit far the other way ;P Thank goodness you had your little doggy angel there to help you through!!

Big feel better hugs hunni

Jez
xx

Thanks Kat & Jez,

it's late but I still have one pack to go after my bad day! :rolleyes:

Another reason not to take Dulcolax again....I must still have some in my system from last night as I had to run for the loo not so long ago! :eek:

I won't be doing that again! xx

HI LB, glad you are all sorted now. We are all different because I have used dulcolax since I started LL and have had to take 2 x 2 times a week!!!! But as people have said, it's not for everyone.

Glad you are starting to feel better.

I will be going to the German market in Leeds on Saturday. I live just outside the city centre so it's not too much of a trek to get there. Where abouts do you live? Maybe we could meet up for a black coffee or water sometime?

Take care of yourself x x

That sounds great ~ will PM you now. xx :)

LaydeeBug, I had the almost same experience, but it was in the middle of the night. I had to hold onto a wall to stop me falling and managed to stop myself passing out by deep breathing and staying very still. The pain was nothing like I have experienced before. So the rest of the packet went in the bin the next day. Should really have only taken 1, but thought 2 would do the trick.

Since then I have used fibresure which is tasteless and is easily added to all LL packs.

TTL x

LaydeeBug, I had the almost same experience, but it was in the middle of the night. I had to hold onto a wall to stop me falling and managed to stop myself passing out by deep breathing and staying very still. The pain was nothing like I have experienced before. So the rest of the packet went in the bin the next day. Should really have only taken 1, but thought 2 would do the trick.

Since then I have used fibresure which is tasteless and is easily added to all LL packs.

TTL x

That sounds just he same as I felt!
It was scary!
Mine have gone in the bin too ~ don't ever want to feel like that again. I will check out the other options in future.
Thanks. xx :)

Back