vlcd no weight loss in second week!

I thought this was a safe place for people on VLCD's. Bearing in mind that VLCD's have been around for a very long time. Doctors have been recommending them to obese people for years and studies suggest they are safe. In fact, some doctors don't recommend LL simply because they are 'meal replacements' not because they are VLCD's.

As long as you are not doing a VLCD on sugar and chocolate I think a varied, balance real-food VLCD is fine. I suffer from allergies and I can't do a 'meal replacement' VLCD. I do believe though, like many others, that I am capable of choosing healthy nutritious foods while on this type of plan.

VLCD's are hard, and real-food VLCDers need as much support as meal replacement ones. And I would like a safe place to be without the fear of being told that I'm doing the wrong thing, or that I'm hurting my body (as if I haven't hurt it already), or that I'm doing something that is dangerous.

I would rather eat healthy low calorie meals than say risk a heart attack, or have my jaws wired or gastric band surgery.

thankyou siggy this is just the thing i wanted to hear on this forum. i signed up to this site expecting to be welcomed into the vlcd forum even though i am not on a meal replacement I still consume similar calories to these guys. but i have received nothing but critisism. (thats an exageration because KD has been saying some quite good things as with braveheart although bravehearts comments seemed to have been rather odd considering he is commenting in a vlcd forum but he is frowning up ALL vlcd including LL and CD. i wanted to hear about peoples past experiences with vlcd but instead i got advice which i didnt want. and siggy your right in saying u would rather go on a vlcd than risk a ha or have a gastric band on the nhs paid for my tax payers. its wasting useful rescources. people like you and i dont go on vlcd likely, i know i try and get a good amount of nutrients...i eat a lot of vegetable and get my protein from my sardines and makeral, have a good breakfast full of fibre. aslong as im eating healthily i see no problem with restricting my calories as long as im getting the weight loss which I was getting until recently but i think i have found the reason for this so going to continue with this for a while longer because im feeling great Im looking better even though Im not losing weight on the scales and i think ive got more chance of dying from obesity than starvation.

i signed up to this site expecting to be welcomed into the vlcd forum even though i am not on a meal replacement I still consume similar calories to these guys. but i have received nothing but critisism.

Eee, sorry to hear that. It is difficult though. This board was originally made to support people doing VLCDs that had been approved by various health authorities, rather than DIY VLCDs.

It's all a rather dodgy area really. Whilst some seem to know exactly what they are doing...will know all the rules that need to be followed to make it safe, and how to come off it...and be monitored to a certain extent, others will do strange forms of VLCDs. I remember the cup a soup VLCD. Just have a cup a soup and be done with it.:sigh:

So what's to do? Ask each person how they are doing their own version of a VLCD, so we can check it's nutritional quality..make sure they are moving away from it every 12 weeks etc. Or support them and say "Fab going...yay...stick to your cup a soup...enjoy" ;)

Or isn't it best to just make sure people are aware of the pitfalls, especially if they are doing a DIY, because most people don't know. They just assume reduce calories and you'll lose more.

If you know loads about VLCDs and know exactly how to do them healthily, and that wont just mean getting the right vits and minerals, but also protein, carbs and fat, and all the other bits that go along with safe VLCDs, then I'm happy for you, because you've done the research and you know the facts.

But hard to be 100% postive and supportive of everyone for their unknown methods of doing a very extreme diet.

hi, ye i know what you mean, im sure theres loads of people out there that go about it in a very damaging manner and u guys are just looking out for their health interests. ive since revised my thought and think my threads are best kept in the "calorie counting" forum cause this one seems to be a bit more geared towards the meal replacements like LL and CD. thanks for all your help though, everything you have said has been insightful. :) x

Scale weight can be a really strange thing during weight loss, due to water retention and whatnot. Rest assured though, if you're only eating 600 calories per day you you're definitely losing fat, regardless of what your overall weight may be.

, if you're only eating 600 calories per day you you're definitely losing fat,

And muscles, and damaging your organs...but if you 'know' what you're doing then thats all right then isn't it....((sigh))...:sigh:

And muscles, and damaging your organs...but if you 'know' what you're doing then thats all right then isn't it....((sigh))...:sigh:

If you're eating 600 calories of chocolate and crisps, then yeah you would.

Done correctly you can avoid undue loss of lean muscle tissue on a VLCD. Look up PSMF (protein sparing modified fast), particularly Lyle McDonald's book 'The Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book', quite a lot of people have seen success on that diet, myself included. You need to follow it to the letter though :).

If you're eating 600 calories of chocolate and crisps, then yeah you would.

Done correctly you can avoid undue loss of lean muscle tissue on a VLCD. Look up PSMF (protein sparing modified fast), particularly Lyle McDonald's book 'The Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book', quite a lot of people have seen success on that diet, myself included. You need to follow it to the letter though :).

Yes indeed, and the Lyle certainly knows his stuff;) But, as you say, you do need to follow it to the letter. And though it is a VLCD, it's very short term ie on and off, because it does require a number of refeeds at higher calorie levels relatively frequently.

It's very specific in it's requirements to spare lean mass and keep leptin levels stable'ish'

why don't you try some form of interval training? an example is running extremely fast for a minute or 2 or 3 or whatever (i run at the fastest my treadmill can go, 7.5m p/h) then about half of the time you've spent running, walk.if that makes sense....so say if you ran for 1 min, walk for 30 seconds after..this is an efficient way of burning fat as your body is not able to find the most effective way of using the fat as the workout is constantly changing...

or you could try a tabata workout, these are pure hell and extremely painful towards the end but have very good results!

also when i'm not eating many calories in a day, i make sure to at least eat every 2 hours to keep my metabolism as high as possible

Shrinklies Site

Hi Lemon,

I have been on here for 1 week. I am on the CD ss which is also a vlcd. I am sorry to hear you are not getting the suport you want, which is why i am writing to you. I will help and support you as much as i can. I have joined the shrinklies forum and they have been great. We all really help each other like a big :family2:family.
If you are doing your own vlcd then just make sure you are receiving all the goodness you need. If not why dont you try the CD? Believe me i am finding it hard but it seems to be working. I had my 1st weigh in on Thursday and lost 9.5lb and i am now in ketosis:D If you go onto their website it will give you a cdc that is close to your area and they are on hand all the time.
If you feel you are getting negative comments then ignore it:confused: and do what you feel is right for yourself.
Comne and join us on the shrinklies forum, you will be welcomed with open arms.

Im here to support if you need me xxx (((Hugs)))

I am very new to this. I am not familiar with the lingo or expert in anyway but some things do come down to simply logic.

If your eating 600cals a day and not losing mass then either your eating more than 600cals a day OR your metabolism has slowed down to compensate for the lack of calories so your not "burning less" than you did before.

I am on 900cals a day. I did not pick that number for any reason. I decided on lo cal since it was logical 4500cals is 1 pound. makes it mathamatical and logical which I can wrap my brain around.

in about 3 weeks I have lost over 22 pounds at a rate of a very solid just over a pound a day.

My sister has also been trying this with me and has only lost 3 pounds. I have been trying to figure out why.

Part of it she cheats alittle (mints little candies etc..) so I am trying to get her to drop that 100%

also she is much more sedentary than I am. Sleeping more and laying around (games or tv) a lot more.

she loves the mall so we are going to try to do 2 hours of the mall or any other store daily and see what happens to her weight loss.

Every person is different. but regardless of who you are you should be losing daily on 600cals unless you dramatically lower your "output" energy to compensate.

that is just my educated "guess" I really don't have much in the way of facts as I am not skilled or knowledgeable on the subject.

Off course my own experience would only apply to me. I might be unique in some way. I SURE HOPE I can keep this rate of loss up. I REALLY hope I can do it.

The way I came up with it is this. I started at 1500 and just keep lowering my cals till I got hungry. I hot 850-900 cals a day and stopped. Not because I got hungry but I was afraid to go any lower (mal nutrition is a concern of mine) a few days of mal nutrition won't hurt so maybe one week I will see how low I can drop the calls before I get hungry.

One trick I use is to eat foods that are super low in cals so I can eat LOTS of it. ie keep me FULL keep me from being hungry mentally.

lots of veggies. I eat POUNDS of veggies. lots of mushrooms and for meat fish chicken and turkey since they are all about 100cals for 4oz. I also take vitamins every day just in case they help a little.

I am not worried if I get a little sick. I can always "fix" that later.

being 400 pounds will KILL ME NOW so I will take the lesser of two evils and worry about the consequences later.

Whatever consequences I have to deal with they have to be better than being 400 pounds.

Back