Walking

Janey

Intuitive Eater
I saw Dr Chris Steele on This Morning this week say that walking is the best thing. 10,000 steps a day. I have no idea how many steps I do a day but I bet I would be horrified to find it's not very many! :eek: So I've just bought a pedometer and hope to get out there walking and achieve 10,000 steps a day. Well, that's the plan anyway!! :D:D

I love walking Janey. I used a pedometer (fitbug) for a few months last year and it was so much fun
girl_crazy.gif

I was averaging about 15,000-16,000 steps a day so was dead chuffed.

I don't use the 'bug' any more as after a few months I found that I was starting to get obsessed about the numbers, rather than just enjoying the walking as I had done in the past.

It was still good fun using the ped though. I still walk loads....because I love it :) Enjoy your pedo:)

Hey thanks Karion, that's got me motivated! On a daily basis I don't think I use my body enough. If I discover I only average about 2,000 days a day I think I might cry! :eek: 16,000 steps a day is phenomenal!

Btw, are they difficult to use? I ask because my mum had a pedometer and it looked so complicated to use as she had to key in lots of things, that it completely put me off buying one. I hate gadgets and having to work them out! But seeing Dr Chris Steele rave about pedometers I decided I would like to get one.

My daily pedometer reading is around 26,000 :eek: My bike is currently being used by my son so have to walk everywhere. It's 2.5 miles to the farm so there and back twice a day is 10 miles a day, 7 days a week makes 70 miles :eek: that's just getting to the farm and back. Amazing how quickly you do get used to walking long distances though I prefer to cycle.

The one I used was easy to set up. I remember checking my steps every now and again. Counting them to a hundred and checking the ped just to be sure as I had so many duff ones in the past.

I remember working out how many steps I did in 15 minutes (though I can't remember what it was now:confused:...1,000 rings a bell). I would clock up a lot walking to and from school, but I'd also 'grab' 15 minute moments to clock up another 1,000.

I did wear the thing all day though, from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. Couldn't believe how much walking I did when I thought I wasn't doing anything :D Just popping up for a drink...loo...seeing to the kids etc.

My daily pedometer reading is around 26,000 :eek: My bike is currently being used by my son so have to walk everywhere. It's 2.5 miles to the farm so there and back twice a day is 10 miles a day, 7 days a week makes 70 miles :eek: that's just getting to the farm and back. Amazing how quickly you do get used to walking long distances though I prefer to cycle.

Wow Laura!! I know Paul McKenna recommends doing 2,000 extra steps a day every day, but 26,000? Wow, I am seriously impressed!! :D:D

You're probably right Karion. I do especially move a lot at work going up and down the stairs all the time. And like you said, even walking to the loo requires steps!! I think on my first day using a pedometer I will just have a "normal" day and see what I actually do achieve in a day without putting any effort in to specifically go out for a walk. (I live by the sea, I have no excuse not to get out there and walk in such a beautiful part of the world!).

I'm a pear shape and being vegetarian and quite healthy with my food my family and friends think really it could be exercise I need, and walking should be good for my lower half! :D

I will just have a "normal" day and see what I actually do achieve in a day without putting any effort in to specifically go out for a walk. (I live by the sea, I have no excuse not to get out there and walk in such a beautiful part of the world!).

With the fitbug software and website we had 'targets' to aim for. You started off like that, doing a normal week, then it started setting a target a little higher...and higher :D

I live by the sea too. Love it :)

Oh, there was a 'steps challenge' here last year. Think there's another one for this year somewhere started by Mini :clap:

I used to work in a doctor's surgery about 1m from my house, and I didn't have a car and the school was 1m away from home too. So every day I'd walk to school and back (20m there, 20min back) then walk to work and back home (40min round trip) and along with the extra walking such as trips to Morrisons (which is also a mile away), and general pottering, I was easily doing 10,000 per day.

Fast forward three years where I now work in town and have a car. If I don't make the effort to do any extra walking, my average is 2,000 per day!!!

So, I've dusted off my pedometer once again and want to try and increase on that 2,000 through the week, and aim for at least 10,000 on a weekend (when I am not working)

The only reason I do so many steps is there are no buses that go near the farm and I have no car. My son has borrowed my bike so walking is the only option :rolleyes: I used to keep Zoe at a farm 7 miles away.....thank goodness I moved her nearer. Imagine the step count if I hadn't :Dlol.
I do like walking though. We go hiking in the derbyshire peak district whenever we can.

I think my pedometer is going to really motivate me to walk. Walking is okay but when you can see the numbers rising and can aim for a target then it is a totally different ball game. This is fun. I actually want to move! :D I know Paul McKenna has always enthused about pedometers and said you only have to do an extra 2,000 steps a day to lose weight, but I thought they were complicated things to operate. But mine was so simple. I just stuck the battery in and off I went!

:chores016:

i bought a pedometer from Argos, it was rubbish. I clocked up points sitting on the loo & then another few standing up :eek:, so my reality was sooooooo far from what was on the stupid thing i gave up. I prob only walk about 1/10th what i should, i'd rather use my car
xx

Hi Janey,

I have an Omron as well:)

My husband set mine up to count my own personal width of my step, it gives instructions in the leaflet.

Love Mini xxx

Back