Walking

oxoxallyoxox

Hi guys - I need a few opinions. I am on the lipotrim diet a week now. I am quite anxious about maintaning the weight - one of the 3 rules of maintaining is excercise. I can honestly say I do not enjoy excercising - this could be a simple case that I have not found the right excercise for me.

However today I hooked up the radio on my phone ( cant for the life of me figure out the mp3 player) and I went for a 20 minute walk, I plan to this again tommorrow after work, preferably when everyone else is eating.

After that im gonna try and increase it by 5 - 10 mins each day until I reach an hour.

Is this sufficient excercise? I dont enjoy anything else. And I hate gyms. I am prepared to put the hard work in once I start maintaining but if I start doing something I dont enjoy Ill give up altogether.

Hi, well done on your walk, that is fantastic.

Walking is a brilliant form of exercise. I think the recommendations are that you do 30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week, so by working up to an hour would be exceeding that. Take it at your own pace though, don't feel that you've got to increase up the amount of time you walk to quickly. It is better to do 20 minutes every day than to work up to an hour but find it difficult to fit in and only do it once or twice a week.

I have only been exercising for about 8 weeks and I started off with doing a water workout class. I really started enjoying that and as I've felt myself get fitter I now also swim about a mile and half a week, my salsacise DVD and I walk. 3 months ago I didn't do anything.

You may find as you get fitter you want to try something else as well, but if you don't walking will be great.

Well done and good luck
Sara xx

Hiya! have you thought about buying a pedometer? My husband was instructed to use one to help him control his weight and it has proved to be very useful. Aim for at least 10,000 steps at first and see if you can go up from there perhaps? I know that as a fairly busy mum and housewife I can easily do 6,000 steps and with a supermarket shop on top of that I can do the 10,000, anything more than that is a bonus.

A pedometer is a good idea - I sit at a desk all day so I highly doubt that I do 10,000 steps a day - I have been parking my car further away and making extra trips to the printer and fax machine - plus I have to top up my water every hour or so, so I suppose it ads up

I think I will only build it up to 30 mins a day as your right an hour is too much. However Im making a new rule in my life - Unless its raining or I need to travel far - im not using my car at the weekends. I need to get into the habit of walking to where I need to get to - I also want my daughter to learn this too - that we're not just going to jump into a car to go around the corner to the shop.

I tried aqua arobics and I hated it - maybe its because im so unfit but i wasnt able to keep up and therefore quit after 2 weeks.

Id love to get a good excercise dvd but id never get to use it because I have no privacy in my house!

I've made exercise a part of my new slim lifestyle and I'm loving it.....now. I often don't want to do it, but once I've been, I feel fab, so I try to remember this feeling when I'm at the 'before' stage.

I do endurance riding, so I keep fit riding my horse and keeping him fit, but I found that the fitter I got, the easier I coped with the long distances riding.

So now I go circuit training on a Monday and BodyCombat on a Tuesday after work. Then I run for 30mins (hilly) with my dogs before work on a Wed, Thur and Fri. Then with competitions on a Sunday (VERY strenuous exercise) I try not to do too much on a Saturday. Then there's the riding of course! Hence why I'm struggling to put weight back on at the moment!!!!

If you try to make it part of your daily life, you're more likely to stick with it. How about exercising with a friend?

Hi oxo. I know exactly what you mean about exercising! I find it really difficult to exercise for the sake of it. I don't mind moving if it's to accomplish something - walking somewhere, cycling to the library, scrubbing the floor, cleaning the windows - but going to the gym, dvds and most classes bore me silly. I've found walking the thing I stick to, mainly because even in the rain it's a time that no-one get get hold of me and I'm lucky that around half my route is in the countryside. I recently bought the Nike+ system that connects to my iPod and it is REALLY motivating to try and do the route faster or walk longer! I love it when it says 'You have just achieved a personal best'!!!! Worth considering!

I recently bought the Nike+ system that connects to my iPod and it is REALLY motivating to try and do the route faster or walk longer! I love it when it says 'You have just achieved a personal best'!!!! Worth considering!

Oooh! That sounds interesting, I'll have to look into buying one of those. Hubby has just phoned from work to say that he'll be late home, he's going for a walk !!!! That's a first, in 12 years I've never known him go for a walk, suddenly now that he's wearing a pedometer he wants to go for a walk. It's either guilt, or another woman ;)

Hi

I am doing SW but one of my key aims to increase my fitness levels. I have started today, just by walking, I bought a Pedometer from Ebay, but its a bit pants and keeps re-setting itself:rolleyes: I have just got back from a walk, I did about 7000 steps, came home and had two cold glasses of water with sliced lemon in and I feel great:cool:

I will have another walk this evening with the family, I aim to do this every day.

Hope you enjoy the walking, best time of year for it too don't you think! Not too hot and not too cold.

Hi oxo. I know exactly what you mean about exercising! I find it really difficult to exercise for the sake of it. I don't mind moving if it's to accomplish something - walking somewhere, cycling to the library, scrubbing the floor, cleaning the windows - but going to the gym, dvds and most classes bore me silly. I've found walking the thing I stick to, mainly because even in the rain it's a time that no-one get get hold of me and I'm lucky that around half my route is in the countryside. I recently bought the Nike+ system that connects to my iPod and it is REALLY motivating to try and do the route faster or walk longer! I love it when it says 'You have just achieved a personal best'!!!! Worth considering!
You've just described me. I don't like exercise, but am happy to walk. Will look into the Nike+ too.

I decided to do the whole walking for exercise thing on Monday, decided it would be perfect, stick in the head fones and get walking, I live really close to the city centre and i thought if i started walking to and from work (35mins each way) It wld help the old weight loss, but i started walking and started sweating, i felt like i couldnt breathe, i had a big jacket on caus i wont leave house without it, got to work and my make up was all over my face with sweat, my hair was frizzy and my clothes soaked. I really want to keep doing the walking caus it fits v.easy into my life and on paper is perfect..but what is it with the excessive sweating, how do i get round that?

Hi guys - I need a few opinions. I am on the lipotrim diet a week now. I am quite anxious about maintaning the weight - one of the 3 rules of maintaining is excercise. I can honestly say I do not enjoy excercising - this could be a simple case that I have not found the right excercise for me.

However today I hooked up the radio on my phone ( cant for the life of me figure out the mp3 player) and I went for a 20 minute walk, I plan to this again tommorrow after work, preferably when everyone else is eating.

After that im gonna try and increase it by 5 - 10 mins each day until I reach an hour.

Is this sufficient excercise? I dont enjoy anything else. And I hate gyms. I am prepared to put the hard work in once I start maintaining but if I start doing something I dont enjoy Ill give up altogether.

i absolutely DESPISE exercise too, when it's at the gym... however I do enjoy walking. have you tried swimming? i love it because being in the water means you cant tell you're sweating. and also, it's quite relaxing. i also find that team games are enjoyable. lastly, salsa dancing is masses of fun and is definitely exercise, i was out of breath and sweaty when i tried it but loved every minute. so dont worry, the gym is definitely not the be all and end all. good luck!

Back