Water and stuffs :)

eca08

Hiya everyone,

So i am well into ketosis and enjoying all the benefits :) i just wondered if there is a certain amount i should be drinking? Today i only had a cup if herbal tea and a coffee.. When i did and VLCD we had to drink like 4 litres a day and i know that was because of the missing water in foods that i wasnt eating but it was also for good weight loss.. To basically cut a long story short should i drink more (even though im not thirsty) to help the weight loss process??

Also while i am here and i know you are a friendly bunch i was just wondering if i am eating enough calories i am 5 ft and currently 11st 4 and have around 1500 calories a day (and around 20g of carbs or less) in two meals. I rarely feel hungry but i am a little paranoid about not eating enough...

Any opinions are greatly welcomed!

Thanks guys! :)

You should drink enough to never be thirsty. Once you become noticeably thirsty you're already suffering the effects of dehydration. If you aren't thirsty then I wouldn't worry.

1500 calories sounds fine. There VLCD versions of ketogenic diets like this which are called protein sparing modified fasts. The idea is to just eat enough protein to provide enough glucose for your brain and nervous system and then let the body get the energy it needs from your fat cells. So don't worry too much about them as long as you're getting a decent amount of protein and some good fats.

Hey :) I also did a vlcd where u drink lots of water, I've been doing Atkins now for 4 weeks an lived off fizzy pop and abit of water, I hate water! And I've had good losses.

I don't bother counting my cals aslong as I'm ok on carbs and protien. I find it too hard to keep an eye on them all lol xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ahhh lovely, thanks for your replies guys! Loving the atkins/lo carb way - makes u feel great!

Although me poor bank balance has severely taken a pounding!

Lol yes I agree to the bank balance!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I drink around 2L/day, the best way to guage your hydration status is:- if you can see your pee in the loo - (ie orange) then yr not drinking enough, wee should just tint the loo water. (except first wee of the morning-thats expected). Also the more you drink the happier your bowel will be, as you can get a bit bunged up when you first start.

As on the calories - that roughly waht I'm eating too, remember your looking at carbs not so much the calories, your just looking at calories as thats what your used to looking at, with low carb diets the calories are normally lower anyway.

If you want to work out your basal calorie requirements out of nosiness (remember this is low carb and not calorie counting!) the number of calories to maintain your current weight, the Harris Benedict Equation is:-

Females: 655 + (4.35 x Yr weight in pounds) + (4.7 x Yr height in inches) - (4.7 x Yr age in years) = Your basal calorie requirements.

I would say that probably everyone is roughly eating the same amt of kCal whilst on approx 15-20g carbs/day. See what everyone says?

Back