Water

*angela*

Silver Member
Just wondering if drinking water makes a difference+improves weight loss... I don't think I drink anywhere near as much as I should, what ideal amount should be drunk a day and - silly question alert - does it have to be plain water or is it ok to mix with no added sugar cordial?

Yeah it does help with weight loss and get rid of water retention...im sure its reccomendes 8 glasses/ 4 pints a day...plain water is best but of course can have sugarfree squash if not keen on water x

Just wondering if drinking water makes a difference+improves weight loss... I don't think I drink anywhere near as much as I should, what ideal amount should be drunk a day and - silly question alert - does it have to be plain water or is it ok to mix with no added sugar cordial?

i find drinking water helps with my losses, the weeks i up my intake my losses are a lot better.. if i don't feel like plain water then i usually add a slice of lemon to add a bit of flavour :)
it does wonders for my skin too! xxx

Yes I find drinking lots of water aids weight loss. I add sugar free squash to it x

I drink about 2 litres a day. If bored add some squash or slices of fruit. I was on another threat, someone makes a big bottle with sliced fruits and leaves in the fridge, just to add some flavour. TBH it's easier, and cheaper to add squash. Good luck

I always drink at least two litres a day. Plain water is best but as long as your drinking it is a bonus x

The whole idea of drinking 8 glasses of water a day is a misinterpretation. When that advice was given, it was intended that around 8 glasses of liquid should be consumed per day, and that includes fluid from food as well. It doesn't have to be water. It can be tea, milk, coffee etc

I certainly notice when I do not drink enough water, so I try to drink at least a 2 litre bottle of water a day.

Drinking enough water is crucial to living a healthy life and preventing dehydration but it doesn't have to be 8 glasses of water. The NHS recommends 6-8 glasses a day (1.2 litres) whereas in America they recommend 8 x 8oz glasses a day (1.9 litres). I think it's safe to say that 6 glasses a day is sufficient as I don't see people keeling over in the streets from dehydration due to missing out on 2 extra glasses ;) Obviously if you live a very active lifestyle, such as regular workouts or an active job, you'll need more as you'll be losing more through sweat.

However, as lardylady said above, your water intake can come from food as well as drinking water. The majority of fruit and vegetables are between about 85% - 97% water and your body is extremely good at extracting this water and using it as required. I've certainly noticed that after eating a bowl full of melon I need the bathroom a lot sooner than I would if I had a sandwich or something as the melon has provided my body with the water it needs (and then some!). I don't think I would benefit from drinking 2 glasses of water after that 'just because'. Your body is designed to tell you when it needs water and certainly keeping it topped up is a good thing but I don't think forcing yourself to consume something when you don't really need it is necessary at all. I mean, that's how I ended up on Slimming World :eek:

If you drink too much water it can also have negative effects, such as headaches and it can lower metabolism. So...after all that, I don't believe that there is an amount that you 'should' be drinking. If you drink what you need, you'll be fine. I've never worried about how many glasses of water to drink a day and I've never had any health problems, my skin is in excellent condition and my mental concentration is fine. I do only drink tap water though, I studied mineral / spring water at Uni and it is nasty stuff in comparison. :sign0137:

These are just my opinions though, do what works for you :)

I probably don't drink as much water as I should and I'm a slow loser (because I'm bad at staying within my syn limits!!). But I do try my best to stay hydrated especially as I've had kidney problems in the past. I drink a few cups of tea with milk and fruit teas during the day and then in the evening I'll have probably two pints of water with squash. But as someone said above, watery fruits are also a great way to get your intake! Just don't drink for the sake of it or you could end up being over hydrated which again isn't so good.

Brill thanks for all the comments... Def gonna have to try+up it coz there's days I would take hardly any water or juice+would have a glass of diet coke with my lunch+dinner - a must change!!!

The plan is to drink 4 pints a day... 2 of plain water+2 with cordial added in so it mixes it up a bit then hopefully it'll improve my losses. I'm on maternity leave atm+when I was working I found I drunk a lot more than I did when I'm at home+I've noticed my skin isn't in as good condition as it used to be... Saying that though it could be a combination of hormones also as my baby is 4 weeks but the extra water is bound to help too... Here's hoping anyway :) xx

Good luck Angela. As you can see upping water intake will help with many things like clear skin, etc, so definitely worth a go.

Good luck Angela. As you can see upping water intake will help with many things like clear skin, etc, so definitely worth a go.

I don't know the true answer to your question, BUT, I can honestly say I probably don't even drink half a litre of water a day, and when I do, it's always as squash.

And I've had steady GOOD looses 2/4 lbs a week.

Lost 5+ stone since January.

Just saying.

I don't know the true answer to your question, BUT, I can honestly say I probably don't even drink half a litre of water a day, and when I do, it's always as squash.

And I've had steady GOOD looses 2/4 lbs a week.

Lost 5+ stone since January.

Just saying.

That's an interesting take on it, thanks for that :) our bodies are strange things!!! That's an amazing loss btw, well done :) x

I only drink water all the time, and a bottle of wine on a Friday night which I save my syns for :eek: lol

I might have a glass of pepsi max if I'm out, but water all the way for me. I never did hot drinks before SW anyway x

I've never been a keen tea or coffee drinker either... I've been trying to take a cup of green tea with my breakfast in the morning but it tastes rotten... Apparently though that can be good for weight loss too so every little bit helps :)

Total Loss 2nd July 2013: - 2st 7.5lb

I drink at least 2 litres of water per day. That's before taking any fluids from foods into consideration. I have always drank a lot of water, never go without a large glass of squash/water at meals, either, this may be a result from suffering cystitis a lot as a youngster and my doc back then strongly advised me to always keep well hydrated. But I think now it's simply down to habit, not to necessity. I know many people just cannot have nowhere near the recommended amount per day and fair one, you do what you can and what you think it's good for you xx

Last edited:
I did use to drink loads of water when I was in work+easily would've had my 2 litres but being on maternity+at home most of the day I'm out of the habit but definitely plan to improve that... If I plan a pint glass with my 3 meals then before bed that'll be me sorted :)

Sent from my iPhone

I made a conscious point of drinking 3/4 pints of water a day this week+at WI last night I lost 4.5lb so its interesting that after that change how its helped move things along... Also decided to go swimming twice this week too which would have helped :) few years ago that never would have happened - all biz :)

Sent from my iPhone

Back