wedding flowers - free advice

2hourglass

Silver Member
I have just sold my florists shop predominantly offering wedding and event flowers. If anyone is getting married and just would like a second opinion on what a florist has offered, pricings and some ideas of flowers, then please add to thread - you could always pm me if you would rather - i don't mind, it's nice to keep my mind occupied and If I can continue to help, thats great for me too. This is NOT a business, just for fun.:D

Oooo thanks - yes I want lilac and white and purple flowers. Getting married in Sept - so would like lilies, roses, lavendar and fresias. Are they all in season then?? Not sure about shape of bouquet ... suggestions welcomed. Also what about bridesmaids?? Mine are my daughters 22 and 19 so no little posy's - any ideas?/ or anything else they can have other than flowers??

Are you coming to manchester meet?? If you are might pick your brains more then!!!

Oh Bev I love the sound of your flowers, I adore lilac and purple and lillies are my absolute favourite

Have been looking more at colours .... my dress will be in lilac and the girls in purple - wondered if crimson red roses would look good in the bouquet??? Lilac, purple and crimson???

Thought dark crimson red roses, lavendar and lilac fresias????

I am not sure what flowers to have. I am getting married in August next year. I am wearing ivory and my bridesmaid is in purple (she will be 38) and my daughter will be in ivory/purple (she will be three by the time we get married).

What flowers are in season and what would look nice then? Also suggestions on button holes??

Thanks

FF

mmmm

Last edited:
Oooo thanks - yes I want lilac and white and purple flowers. Getting married in Sept - so would like lilies, roses, lavendar and fresias. Are they all in season then?? Not sure about shape of bouquet ... suggestions welcomed. Also what about bridesmaids?? Mine are my daughters 22 and 19 so no little posy's - any ideas?/ or anything else they can have other than flowers??

Are you coming to manchester meet?? If you are might pick your brains more then!!!

Sorry for delay Beverley, been off line for a while - hope you've found a florist - if not get booked - you can always sort out fine detail nearer the time.

Red and purple, great mix - add a dash of lime, perfect !!

Lillies, roses, freesia in season, check with florist re availability for Lavender - you might just stretch the season.

'Grand Prix' and 'Passion' are great red roses, consider use of Eyngium thistle, Lissianthus (my favourite) Veronica, and Trachellium - all purple flowers.

Think about the shape of the bouquet and how you would handle it i.e are you a someone who gesticulates alot, lots of hugs etc where a long trailing teardrop would just get in the way. If so - look at chunky hand-tieds, the florist can always add length and detail with grasses and fern and sparkles of course !!

For the girls, what about a wrist corsage - doesnt have to be loads of flowers, decorated handbags maybe, or if they are wearing a wrap a spangly/pretty brooch which can be a keep sake afterwards.

Stick wedding flowers in Google Uk and you'll get stacks of ideas.

Good Luck - if I can be of any other assistance , let me know xx:)

Heya, I'm getting married at the end of Sept next year and we are having a baby pink colourscheme (Mikes choice not mine but its ok rly!) and I will be wearing white. Any suggestions as to types of flowers. I love hot pink and was wondering if we could combine the two shades (sorta fuschia as well as baby pink) through the flowers and bridesmaids dresses- so the groom etc would have a pale pink waistcoat, cravat and buttonhole, and my bridesmaids would be dressed in hot pink with bouquets of pale pink and cream, with my bouquet in hot pink (to match their dresses), pale pink and cream.... does that make sense?

What flowers would you recommend to achieve this at that time of yr?
xx

Heya, I'm getting married at the end of Sept next year and we are having a baby pink colourscheme (Mikes choice not mine but its ok rly!) and I will be wearing white. Any suggestions as to types of flowers. I love hot pink and was wondering if we could combine the two shades (sorta fuschia as well as baby pink) through the flowers and bridesmaids dresses- so the groom etc would have a pale pink waistcoat, cravat and buttonhole, and my bridesmaids would be dressed in hot pink with bouquets of pale pink and cream, with my bouquet in hot pink (to match their dresses), pale pink and cream.... does that make sense?

What flowers would you recommend to achieve this at that time of yr?
xx

September is a great month to get married as it can be deemed as late summer of early autumn so pink is a lovely choice too.

Soft cream and pink look lovely - are you going for romantic with a 'kick'

A great pale pink roses for buttonholes are 'Sweet akito' Sweet Avalanche' or 'Aqua' for a warmer pink,
for the groom I would just add a dash of cerise of match your bouquet.

For the girls, using the same roses as the chaps, mix with creamy flowers, lissianthus, cream stocks, or wax flower for a soft look. you could always bind the stems in cerise fabric to match dresses

For you - why not go for just a cerise rose - let the florist hav a sample of the b/maids fabric or ribbon (if all else fails a paint swatch from B & Q) as cerises can differ quite alot, then get fancy with embellishments like grass cages or grass loops, you can then go to town by adding some bling ??

If you want to soften the look (although cerise on its own is stunning) you could blend in the cream and pale pink to.

Classic, simple but fabulous :D:D

Hi there,

sorry for delay in my reply, hmm tulips are great but don't really come into the auctions fully until Nov BUT its definately worth asking the florist to ask their supplier as the dutch grow flowers out of season all the time, often at a premium though - sounds lovely and simple though.

You could replace with long stem roses, kept very natural - there are some great lilac roses out there now, most of them scented and should be readily available in Sept - 'Blue Moon' 'Avant Garde' ' Pacific Blue' 'Coolwater'

If not, what about a natural bunch of lavender stems (should just be able to squeeze into the season) there is also lilac or purple 'double lissianthus' one of my absolute favourites. If against and ivory or white dress the blue spectrum is amazing and perfect for the fading summer, early autumn season.

There are lots of other purple/lilac flowers whicj can be mixed with variegated foliage, to freat effect.

Depending on your budget, I have done loads of weddings where the b/maids have single flowers, or adult flower wands, great if they need to be hands-on.

If you make me a 'friend'I can send a few photos I have done to give you a steer ??

Let me know ??

My theme is ivory and purple. How do I make you as a friend so you could send me some photos?

hey chaps. i'm getting married next july and will be incorporating a rich red into both my gown and the bridesmaids. i was thinking roses but have been told by my friends that have been married recently that roses die really fast on the day and i should use artificial flowers if i want roses. is that the case? and if so is there a good alternative in red?

abz xx

My theme is ivory and purple. How do I make you as a friend so you could send me some photos?

Go into your user CP click on friends and then add me - hope it works !!

hey chaps. i'm getting married next july and will be incorporating a rich red into both my gown and the bridesmaids. i was thinking roses but have been told by my friends that have been married recently that roses die really fast on the day and i should use artificial flowers if i want roses. is that the case? and if so is there a good alternative in red?

abz xx

poo poo poo!! - if you have good quality flowers that have been stored correctly prior to the wedding (e.g if it's a hot, make sure they're keept cool) and after the ceremony, at the reception, you should ask the hotel to supply you with a a vase or jug of cold water to place them in during the rest of the day - that way evening guests can see the flowers too - the same goes for the b/maids - ask your florist for 'professional' advice on how to keep them fresh all day - lets face it that's what bridesmaids are for :D

Hope I don't sound arsey, but you should have what YOU want !!

Back