Wedding table names?

lucylupin

Im maid of honour at a wedding in july and the plans are in full swing.
The bride and i were talking about what to name the tables, it isnt going to be a formal meal and people are just going to sit where they like, but we would still like the tables to have names,
the theme of the wedding is silver and purple, so maybe something along those lines?
Any ideas gratefully recieved, thanks x

I've been to a couple of weddings where the table names are named after places personal to the couple or simply just numbered x

Not sure whether I am being stupid, or just showing my age (or maybe both) but what is the point of giving names to tables? I don't get it.

It's probably helpful if there are people sitting by strangers in a room full of identical tables for orientational purposes when there's a seating plan, or a bit of fun to tie in with a wedding theme. We had a sit where you like meal after ours and to be honest it didn't work that well. We didn't have table names though and it never occured to me that they might be required - maybe it's a more recent development?

Not sure whether I am being stupid, or just showing my age (or maybe both) but what is the point of giving names to tables? I don't get it.

Me too, why would you need names if people can sit where they want & the colour theme is silver & purple:cool:

with you 100%

Thanks for all your replies. The table names are just for a bit more fun, ive been looking into it more and found some tips, some people named them after sweets and had bowls of sweets that name as a centrepiece or flowers and had those flowers as a centre piece,
thanks again for your replies x

OK - thanks for the explanation - I see what you mean.

Wedding arrangements are just another one of those things which I just don't understand these days!

I think depending what the couple like....my wedding tables have not been agreed yet - but me and the man love going on holidays - so it might be names of hotels/places we have been.

We also love music - so some of our favourite albums was a thought?? perhaps....not sure that would work though....Nirvana 'Nevermind' or Oasis 'Definately Maybe' - might seem a little disinterested for the wedding day!!!! haha! x

OK - thanks for the explanation - I see what you mean.

Wedding arrangements are just another one of those things which I just don't understand these days!

My thanks too.............I guess I am just an ancient fuddy, duddy.

I got married last year and due to time constraints/laziness just went with numbers in the end for the table plan.

If I'd allowed a bit more time and could be bothered about it, like Ellebear, we go on holiday a lot and I thought about having names of places we'd been (country or city - whichever worked best) and putting a photo album from that place on the table for people to look through.

I personally think its one of those things that if you have an idea that you really want to do then do it. If however, you are coming onto a website asking other people for ideas, then its not like you have an idea that is really special to you - so to be frank - is it worth the effort? Nobody expects it and nobody's going to think less of you for not having names so why bother? Focus on the things that are most important to you.

We named our tables after holiday destinations we'd been to (13 tables so this included places in this country!). On one side we had the name and on the back I wrote why that place was important to us and places we visited ie. our top table was New York where hubby proposed to me, we had Wales which was our first holiday together etc etc.

As for not having a seating plan.. My friend did this and it was a bit of a disaster! Best of luck with whatever is decided x

We also named ours after places we'd been together, we're both cabin crew and met in a trip to Copenhagen so that was our top table!! We had the name of the city in one side and picture of us in the city on the other side, we tried to use silly pictures so it was fun!! X

Attended a friends wedding last year where all the tables were named after trees. That was because the Bride & Groom had decided to sponsor the planting of a tree for each table & each person on that table got a certificate.

Silver and purple reminds me of Cadburys, why not name them after chocky bars?

Attended a friends wedding last year where all the tables were named after trees. That was because the Bride & Groom had decided to sponsor the planting of a tree for each table & each person on that table got a certificate.

Thats really sweet, and something a bit different - I like things that give something back. OH went bonkers when I suggested that instead of a wedding list we asked everyone to contribute to an oxfam project to buy chicken or goats, or contribute towards the building of a school house, afterall, we already have wine glasses and a toaster! He still doesn't agree and its one of those areas we shall forever differ on I suspect!!

Name them after songs with silver or purple connections

such as;

Purple Rain
Purple pills (mebbe not)
Purple Haze
Deep Purple

Silver Star
Silver Lady
Silver Dream Machine
Hi Ho Silver

Thankyou again everyone x

My brother in law is a potato agronomist and when they got married all the tables were names after potatoes! Mainly because there is a potato called the Nicola, and that's my sisters name!!

Back